Yeti tyre sidewall damage

ejstubbs

Alighting from the car the other day, the missus spotted this damage to the NS front tyre:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53020090273_054041b0b0_o.png 

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53019025002_3562a3367d_o.png 

Annoyingly, this is the third time that we've had tyre sidewall damage on this car.  The previous two instances were full penetration punctures that flattened the tyre.  One was definitely my fault - I know how it happened, though I didn't realise it at the time. The other occurred while the missus was using the car, although she had no recollection of kerbing the tyre.  We also had to have a tyre replaced due to uneven wear (almost certainly due to the tracking having been knocked out of alignment due to another "wheel/obstacle interface incident" which neither of us recalls).

As far as I can see (but I'm very willing to be told otherwise) this one doesn't penetrate as far as the plies inside the sidewall, but I'm still concerned that it may be unsafe.  The tyre appears to be holding pressure just fine (for now) but I'd be interested in the informed views of the Briskoda motorati on the wisdom or otherwise of continuing to drive on it.

If this one needs replacing too, that'll make four tyres having had to be replaced before their time in six years 🙄

The lesson we need to learn, obviously, is to be more bl00dy careful in future...

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Sad 1

• ejstubbs changed the title to Yeti tyre sidewall damage

Difficult to say really.

Your tyre might give another 15k miles before the end of its natural life, or you could have a blow-out tomorrow with untold consequences. 

If it were me I'd probably get it replaced.

• Like 2

The tyre is needing replaced before hitting more ironworks on a road or what ever that does get hit.

I hate having to scrap a tyre / tyres, but then a blow out is worse expense or safety wise.

1971863221_DSCN2020.JPG.ee90ed8ae61d7ea0b4d09c801ca96b72(1).jpeg.75ed84eb97a775c4768b4c868a3dbf0b.jpeg

1089573104_DSCN2023.JPG.df9576e0cb8c2797b7d64bdf745d4f8a(1).jpeg.b0a2a5e7ef15d80e1470c534d84954d8.jpeg

211720605_DSCN2017.JPG.81487c82ac411093f0cbb0d483d453ca(1).jpeg.f620992a54b8071211b3e68af2134f86.jpeg

Edited by toot

5 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Alighting from the car the other day, the missus spotted this damage to the NS front tyre:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53020090273_054041b0b0_o.png 

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53019025002_3562a3367d_o.png 

Annoyingly, this is the third time that we've had tyre sidewall damage on this car.  The previous two instances were full penetration punctures that flattened the tyre.  One was definitely my fault - I know how it happened, though I didn't realise it at the time. The other occurred while the missus was using the car, although she had no recollection of kerbing the tyre.  We also had to have a tyre replaced due to uneven wear (almost certainly due to the tracking having been knocked out of alignment due to another "wheel/obstacle interface incident" which neither of us recalls).

As far as I can see (but I'm very willing to be told otherwise) this one doesn't penetrate as far as the plies inside the sidewall, but I'm still concerned that it may be unsafe.  The tyre appears to be holding pressure just fine (for now) but I'd be interested in the informed views of the Briskoda motorati on the wisdom or otherwise of continuing to drive on it.

If this one needs replacing too, that'll make four tyres having had to be replaced before their time in six years 🙄

The lesson we need to learn, obviously, is to be more bl00dy careful in future...

What tyre size is it?

It looks like it's the wrong tyre size for the Yeti, as it's showing a load index of only 91.

Tyre sizes on the Yeti, normally have a load index higher than 91.

53019025002_3562a3367d_o.png

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Carlston said:

What tyre size is it?

It's a 205/55 R16, which the EC Certificate of Conformity for my Yeti* says only needs a load index of 91:

1053666611_YetiTyreSizesandRatings.thumb.png.ef782cf8fb4ebf779a17992e55bca544.png

* It actually bears the Yeti's VIN, it's a not a generic document.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Expatman said:

Hmm, should be load index of 95

Every major tyre centre I've checked offers the 255/50 R17 with load rating, which tallies with the above.  But as I say, I've got the 205/55 R16s which only need 91.  The only one requiring 95 is the 215/60 R16.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

Every major tyre centre I've checked offers the 225/50 R17 with load rating, which tallies with the above.  But as I say, I've got the 205/55 R16s which only need 91.  The only one requiring 95 is the 215/60 R16.

You might want to check your speedometer reading, because the standard 215/60R16 tyre size has a 5.1% larger outside diameter than the smaller 205/55R16 tyre size.

At an indicated 50mph, you might find that the actual speed is somewhere between 45mph and 47.5mph, ie. 5% to 10% less than indicated, on the 205/55R16 tyre size.

It's easy to check, because google maps now has a GPS speedo built into the app.

Outside diameter of tyres

205/55R16 631.9mm

215/60R16 664.4mm (+5.1% larger outside diameter compared to 205/55R16)

Edited by Carlston

It will be 5 to 10% less on the standard tyres anyway.

On my winter tyres mine reads 10% less than true speed, summer tyres a bit over 5%

You might want to check your speedometer reading

I did that when I first started using the 205/55 R16 winter tyres on my old Yeti, back in 2010.  I "calibrate" the speedo against GPS on a straight, level road and I know what the Maxidot reports as my speed in kmph for each 10mph increment from 20mph up to 70mph (20mph is 37/38kmph, for example, and 70mph is 126/127kmph).

My dashcam also shows the current speed in MPH, but that's more useful for reassuring for my front seat passenger than it is for keeping me informed, since the camera is sited so as to be out of my direct line of sight.

It's easy to check, because google maps now has a GPS speedo built into the app.

I do use Google Maps, but on the Bolero via Android Auto/Smartlink rather than on the phone itself, and I've never seen a GPS speedo on the screen.  Maybe I'm not looking in the right place (but then the Bolero screen wouldn't be a particularly great place to have to look to keep an eye on your speed anyway).  Google Maps does display the current speed limit for your location, but only if you are following its navigation, not if you just have it open to check for e.g. possible congestion ahead on route you already know well.  And it's not always correct anyway...

All the tech in the world and now cameras / radar in vehicles, lane keep assist, collision avoidance and still tyres are wrecked on potholes, drain covers and very often that big sheet of steel that straddles a lane at a diversion / road works, or other iron works on roads.

I like XL (Reinforce sidewall) tyres for a bit more protection and damn the harder ride if there really is as i never notice that.

Tyres  can still get wrecked, but maybe just less often.

• Like 1

ejstubbs, that could well be a pot hole or drain that is causing you that tyre problem.

Time to put a claim in for the last two tyres along with wheel alignment...

Yes.

When I had my Fabia Monty Carlo I claimed for a new wheel & tyre.

The car was two months old, & rounding a sharp bend the wheel found the worst loooonnggg pothole ever.

They paid up. I think somewhere in the regen of £300 ish can't remember exact amount.

@CarlodieselWho did you claim off, a local authority or the Company that is responsible for that area or trunk routes.

You need to know where and when you had the incident.  The discussions / threads are here in the other sections, successful and un-successful claims.

Where their is blame there is not always a claim, or should not be.

Maybe it is your partner or whoever was driving that the claim is with, like in the OP,s case here.

PS

Re a Monte Carlo Fabia (or vRS) on 205/40 R 17,s and everyone making claims when they wreck a tyre or wheel would bankrupt the country.

I must have bulged handful of tyre in that size but i got them free as they were takeoffs from when the cars pulled left and Skoda approved fitting Pirelli Zero Nero rather than sort the mis-alignment of the cars from the factory.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/512714-pot-hole-damage-claiming-compensation

Edited by toot