VRS 2019 Sat Nav problem

Hello, Have bought my first Skoda last week and I am unable to use the Sat Nav as any new destination I input always starts from the previous owners address.. I've deleted his details but it's made no difference. Before I take it to a garage for Diagnostic tests is there anyone who can suggest a fix please? There is no Factory reset on the Sat Nav settings in the car.

P1030103.thumb.JPG.2412aff6396f4891a2cbdcd061d4064c.JPGHi, I've spent many hours today searching online and phoning Skoda themselves - who keep telling me to call Skoda Connect on a non UK phone number. Anyway my best guess is it's an Amundsen unit? MIB2 or MIB1? I can only guess as even the Skoda Octavia PDF Manual does not say unfortunately. The car is a 68 plate and first registered in January 2019. It's an Octavia VRS 245 TSi DSG Estate and it seems there are very few of them out there as no one can tell me what the unit is for sure nor what the reason is I cannot use the Sat Nav... I looked forward to getting this car for many months and now I wished I'd never got it, as I can't go where I want in it - Android Auto doesn't work either... Shame as it's a nice looking car and drives much better than my old Passat.

If it's an Amundsen (needs an SD card for navigation to work) then as it's a 2019 it will be a MIB2 Amundsen (change from MIB1 happened in mid 2015).

Does the location shown on the sat nav when you drive?

Is an SD card (a genuine Skoda one) plugged in?

• Like 2

It's most likely a MIB2.5 Amundsen unless it's been upgraded. Can you add a picture of the headunit to aid with identification?

20 hours ago, Morganash said:

There is no Factory reset on the Sat Nav settings in the car.

You should be able to factory reset the entire unit using this method, The video is likely an older version but should be a similar process, it's definitely a good starting point.

9 hours ago, Morganash said:

Android Auto doesn't work either... 

Please can you be more descriptive. What happens when you connect your phone - are there any prompts or messages on your phone or the radio screen?

• Like 1

Good Morning, Thankyou both for your replies! Now that I know what the unit is I can tell Skoda exactly where the problems are 👍 And ask on the Facebook forums. Yes it looks like a genuine Skoda SD card and I've tried it in both slots. As soon as it loads it shows the red direction arrow at a fixed point in the North Sea! just off the coast of Skegness - Where I believe the previous owner is from. Anyway whatever new address I input is only shown starting from that point near Skegness.. I have deleted his home address and added mine and stored it, but it's made no difference. Someone told me about the factory reset but I'm not sure what other vital? info I might lose doing that? I noticed the SD card version info says ECE1 2018/19 so I'm assuming it needs an update? Maybe that would help?

The Android Auto connection initially worked then the signal dropped out - I am in a bad reception area. So I really need the Sat Nav to work from my home starting point. The dealer I got the car from refuses to pay 'Skoda's high costs' and said they themselves don't do car software issues... even though it's under warranty. They told me to find a local garage, but they are all booked up atm. So it's got to be a home fix by myself, if I am able to do it. The factory reset sounds promising just need to find out what other vital info will be lost if I do it. 

Have tried to upload pic of Nav unit but won't send - will try later.

Based on that, it's most likely the GPS antenna isn't working or connected... A map update won't help.

As for android auto, I assume you mean the mobile signal dropped out rather than the connection between the phone and headunit? If you're using Google maps via AA, you can download areas to ensure mapping always works regardless of signal. You may lose traffic information but the directions should still work.

• Like 4

Depending how flexible you are, it might be worth removing the glove box and checking the connectors at the rear of the unit above the glovebox. If I remember correctly, you shouldn't need to remove the headunit so won't need removal keys.

Refitting the glovebox damper can be a pain but it is designed to be user removable to access the glovebox. Assuming it stops raining, it's worth making sure you know how to remove/replace the glovebox on the off chance you do need to replace a fuse.

It's the blue connector that's responsible for GPS :)

20210227_113932.thumb.jpg.566000ae19078deed91ba619877fd77a.jpg

• Like 1

You could try rebooting it by pressing the on/off button when the unit is switched on and keeping it held in until the screen goes off and then comes back on again, and then release the button. It shouldn't delete any settings off your system. 

• Like 1

Well the dealer I got car from has finally relented and said they would pay the Skoda place near me to do diagnostics - So I've booked it in, but it's 2 weeks from now... And Yes it's my phone signal that's iffy, so guess I can use Google maps for now. Thanks for that info regarding the antenna, I'm not good at car jobs like disassembling things :) there's usually a bit left over when I put it back together.. Think I'll just have to wait until Skoda takes a look. This is the unit btw : I'll let you know when it's fixed if it was the antenna 👍

1690965010531.jpg

On 02/08/2023 at 11:01, Morganash said:

The Android Auto connection initially worked then the signal dropped out - I am in a bad reception area. So I really need the Sat Nav to work from my home starting point.

Are you aware that Google Maps (and now Apple Maps) have an offline maps option?

If you download maps onto your phone whilst on your home WiFi then you don't need a mobile phone signal to use Google Maps or Apple Maps - the only thing you lose is live traffic updates when there is no mobile signal.

• Like 1

Hi 

Make sure you use a quality cable for android auto. I had connection issues in the past and found that the cheap cables were hopeless. also, just wondering if you have set up your driver profile in your car? Looks good though, once you get it fixed you will have no regrets 😁

• Like 2

Thankyou PetrolDave regarding offline Maps - I followed the instructions to get them but no joy.. it does say some areas can't get them, seems I'm in one of those unfortunately. I'm using good old road maps for now till the Nav is fixed. :) 

6 hours ago, Morganash said:

Thankyou PetrolDave regarding offline Maps - I followed the instructions to get them but no joy..

Strange, I've downloaded maps for the whole of England???

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/08/2023 at 14:00, langers2k said:

Based on that, it's most likely the GPS antenna isn't working or connected... A map update won't help.

As for android auto, I assume you mean the mobile signal dropped out rather than the connection between the phone and headunit? If you're using Google maps via AA, you can download areas to ensure mapping always works regardless of signal. You may lose traffic information but the directions should still work.

Hi Again, Had my car looked at by the Skoda main dealer today and after a few hours diagnostics they said it probably is the Antenna at fault, as it had a loose damaged connector that 'fell out' when they took the headliner off to get at it.. So it needs to go back in again for a new connector and wiring they said. Seems the previous/first owner has done a dodgy DIY fix and then gave up on it... Makes me wonder why it would need attention in the first place as the car has only done 30k miles. Think I may need to check the cars history as I just trusted the dealer that all was okay on HPi checks etc. After having the car for 2 weeks plus now, I've got a growing list of minor issues that may or may not be acceptable on a used car. In meantime I can still use Waze or Google for Nav maps at least 👍

Correct me if I'm wrong but your car should be free from issues/defects and you should have some form of warranty? I guess it depends on the person and how OCD they are about their car - I know I am! 😂

10 hours ago, HBCDestroyer said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but your car should be free from issues/defects and you should have some form of warranty? I guess it depends on the person and how OCD they are about their car - I know I am! 😂

Yes I assumed it would be.. I have the normal 3 month warranty which only covers breakdowns I think. So I took out a 3 year RAC Warranty at same time. But this only covers the car for major mechanical failures not the 'little' things like mis matched tyres and scratches etc. I've bought new tyres now and fixed some of the scratches.  I did ask the dealer if I could return the car to one of their other places nearer to me for repair on the Sat Nav, but they replied they don't do software work of any kind!? which I thought was strange.. They still haven't agreed for the Skoda main dealer to continue trying to fix it. I have only one other concern atm and that is an intermittent mechanical sound coming from back of car whenever I drive over a bad bit of road or man hole cover. I really don't know where I stand with this? as it could just be the harder suspension that's causing it. As far as I know I can only make a claim on the warranty if something fails completely while driving or a dash warning light comes on. I am a perfectionist too! but it's not a new car and I have to expect some signs of wear and tear don't I ? Things like the alloys have been refurbed and the rear bumper has been resprayed the Skoda dealer told me. I guess I should have noticed these things when I went for a test drive.. The faulty Sat Nav wasn't apparent until I set off for home in the car.

Hi Again, Regarding my problems with Sat Nav - After having car for 1 month now, I'm still no nearer getting the unit working.. The Skoda dealer is waiting on a complete front to back wiring harness to replace the current one, which they think will fix it.. but involves removing all the headliner and the infotainment unit, an all day job they said.

What is still bothering me is how? does a factory fitted length of cable and 2 connectors? that is hidden away in the roof fail in such a short time? The first/previous owner seemingly tried to fix it and bent the antenna connector which just fell out at the Skoda garage when they removed the back of the headliner.

I've paid for a full report on the car which has shown no accidents etc, so does this appear to be simply a case of a faulty part from when car was new? 

bbgg.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Finally got a working Sat Nav! after 6 weeks.. and at a cost of just over £500.. which fortunately the Car dealer paid, as it was faulty from when I got the car. The complete front to back wiring harness had to be replaced btw.

So now Maps are working fine I see that they are outdated and are 2017/18 maps. So I have downloaded the latest 22/23 maps - ECE -1 for UK from the Skoda Portal but the size is too big for my Skoda SD card ( I think )  as this card reads 12.7GB and the new up to date Map needs min 16GB it says.. I know I have to Format my current card, but I'm pretty sure the new update won't fit?, so I haven't done that yet.

What are my options please? I've read that it needs to be a Skoda SD card and not another make to be sure of working ok. So have I got to buy a New Skoda SD card with the 22/23 Maps installed? or is there a workaround? Thanks

3 hours ago, Morganash said:

Hi, Finally got a working Sat Nav! after 6 weeks.. and at a cost of just over £500.. which fortunately the Car dealer paid, as it was faulty from when I got the car. The complete front to back wiring harness had to be replaced btw.

So now Maps are working fine I see that they are outdated and are 2017/18 maps. So I have downloaded the latest 22/23 maps - ECE -1 for UK from the Skoda Portal but the size is too big for my Skoda SD card ( I think )  as this card reads 12.7GB and the new up to date Map needs min 16GB it says.. I know I have to Format my current card, but I'm pretty sure the new update won't fit?, so I haven't done that yet.

What are my options please? I've read that it needs to be a Skoda SD card and not another make to be sure of working ok. So have I got to buy a New Skoda SD card with the 22/23 Maps installed? or is there a workaround? Thanks

You can buy genuine Skoda 32GB SD cards off eBay etc for a sensible price.

• Like 3