Mirror housing charging port.

Boxerdog1

Has anyone had trouble powering a dashcam from the C Port in mirror housing ?  I know there is power there but my new Aguri DX4000 will not power up from this source even with the correct 5v 3 amp lead.  The DX4000 will charge using it's 12v to 5v adaptor via the socket in boot. If I can't resolve issue I'll simply hardwire from fusebox but seems a shame when there is a ready made C port available. 

are you using a adaptor ? when I first got my car I did not have a lead with a Type "C" on one end and a mini USB so

I used a Type "C" to standard USB socket, and then plugged in the correct cable and would not work.

So I ordered a Type "C" to mini USB (a short one) and when I got it I plugged it in and its been fine since 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RADIOTWO said:

are you using a adaptor ? when I first got my car I did not have a lead with a Type "C" on one end and a mini USB so

I used a Type "C" to standard USB socket, and then plugged in the correct cable and would not work.

So I ordered a Type "C" to mini USB (a short one) and when I got it I plugged it in and its been fine since 

The DX4000 Aguri  Dashcam has a USB C charging Port instead of the usual min USB  Port so I simply used a 30cm C to C cable but as I said previously , the power is not charging the Dashcam .  There is power coming from the Mirror Housing C Port which I assumed would be at least 5V . The Dashcam does power up from the 12v boot socket using a 5V adapter.  Skoda actually do a C to C cable so I might try one of those before going the hardwire route. 

1 hour ago, Boxerdog1 said:

The DX4000 Aguri  Dashcam has a USB C charging Port instead of the usual min USB  Port so I simply used a 30cm C to C cable but as I said previously , the power is not charging the Dashcam .  There is power coming from the Mirror Housing C Port which I assumed would be at least 5V . The Dashcam does power up from the 12v boot socket using a 5V adapter.  Skoda actually do a C to C cable so I might try one of those before going the hardwire route. 

Daft question: I assume you the ign on when trying it ?

• Like 1

Is the port supplying enough current (rather than voltage)? I had that when powering a Garmin Sat Nav in another vehicle from the built in USB port. Switching to a 12V USB cigarette adaptor supplied enough juice to run it.

I can't see from a quick Google what current/voltage it requires.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hairy_Joe said:

Is the port supplying enough current (rather than voltage)? I had that when powering a Garmin Sat Nav in another vehicle from the built in USB port. Switching to a 12V USB cigarette adaptor supplied enough juice to run it.

I can't see from a quick Google what current/voltage it requires.

The Aguri in question requires 5v/3a so just need to find out the USB output in case it's a cable issue .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Boxerdog1 said:

The Aguri in question requires 5v/3a so just need to find out the USB output in case it's a cable issue .

I'm open to correction but I think that port supplies 1.2A. If so, that's your issue, the port cant supply enough.

I've Garmin Dash Cams plugged in and it works.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hairy_Joe said:

I'm open to correction but I think that port supplies 1.2A. If so, that's your issue, the port cant supply enough.

I've Garmin Dash Cams plugged in and it works.

Thanks HJ , that would explain it . It's the hard wire route then .

Are you sure your lead is properly connecting to the socket?

An earlier thread on this subject discusses how it's not uncommon for the C socket in the mirror casing to push further back into the casing when you try to attach a lead. It may feel like it's connected, but the contacts are not meeting properly. This happened to mine. The mirror casing can be removed, or shifted just enough, by squeezing the sides and pulling down gently. Then you can use a screwdriver to push the terminal back into it's socket. You either need to glue the terminal to the socket to stop it moving OR at least hold it while you push the lead into it to make proper connection. Nice design idea by Skoda, but poorly executed. 

10 hours ago, SouthernComfort said:

Are you sure your lead is properly connecting to the socket?

An earlier thread on this subject discusses how it's not uncommon for the C socket in the mirror casing to push further back into the casing when you try to attach a lead. It may feel like it's connected, but the contacts are not meeting properly. This happened to mine. The mirror casing can be removed, or shifted just enough, by squeezing the sides and pulling down gently. Then you can use a screwdriver to push the terminal back into it's socket. You either need to glue the terminal to the socket to stop it moving OR at least hold it while you push the lead into it to make proper connection. Nice design idea by Skoda, but poorly executed. 

This happened to me and I relocated it as per your comments above.  The connection was solid afterwards but no charge to the Dashcam although it will charge an I Phone .  I think Hairy Joe's comment about 1.2 amp output is correct hence unable to obtain the 3 amp supply needed on the DX4000.

12 hours ago, Hairy_Joe said:

With the cost of hardwiring it, would it be cheaper to buy a different dashcam that doesn't need as much current?

I've just bought the Aguri DX4000 which has added features inc. speed camera alerts and traffic sign recognition etc - have used their products previously and found them to be excellent.  Hard wiring cost not an issue as kit came with the camera and I'll install it myself. 

48 minutes ago, SteveTheElder said:

The socket powers my Nextbase dashcam fine; the specification states it needs 1.5 amp.

The Aguri DX4000 needs 3 amps Steve presumably due to the extra functions it provides .

On 23/09/2023 at 18:41, Boxerdog1 said:

I may be wrong, but I think that problem with type-C is that it has different power supply capabilities which need to be negotiated between devices before supplying any power. I don't know how is it realized in Skoda side, but normally usb-c standard required proper resistors between CC lines and GND or communication chip which negotiates the maximum voltage and current. Some cables might not have any of these, neither some adapters. USB-C to micro USB will then work directionally (so power delivered from micro usb will be "visible" on the usb-c plug and not the other way round), but also not necessarely with all devices.

For me 2 Aliexpress cables were not working. I ended up with having a usb-c -> usb-A adapter from Baseus and I cut and shortened original camera cable with usb-a plug to around 30cm. Soldering was required, but I was desperate:)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the various inputs .  I've hard wired the Aguri DX4000 now and it works perfectly. It would appear that the mirror C Port generates less than the required 3 amps required by the DX4000 but probably generates sufficient amps for most dashcams out there. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue with the C port and my mirror dash cam.

Not enough amps and ended up with the hard wire option,  it has a rear camera as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 25/09/2023 at 18:38, Hairy_Joe said:

I've a Garmin one that does all the speed limit alerts, lane warning, collision warning, etc and it's powered off the mirror port. For everything else, I use Waze

Which Garmin camera do you use?

My son has bought and returned 2 cameras that would not power from the mirror port. Halfords said they would hardwire their Nexbase cameras, but I really just want to use the supplied usb c port

For anyone interested in Garmin, I have the Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2. It's one of the most compact units on the market (probably THE most compact). Tucks very neatly behind the mirror and works from the mirror port with a very short cable. 1080p camera, has many functions including voice control.

• Like 2

On 25/09/2023 at 09:11, Boxerdog1 said:

This happened to me and I relocated it as per your comments above.  The connection was solid afterwards but no charge to the Dashcam although it will charge an I Phone .  I think Hairy Joe's comment about 1.2 amp output is correct hence unable to obtain the 3 amp supply needed on the DX4000.

Why on earth does a dash am need 3 amps?

21 hours ago, DavePS said:

Which Garmin camera do you use?

My son has bought and returned 2 cameras that would not power from the mirror port. Halfords said they would hardwire their Nexbase cameras, but I really just want to use the supplied usb c port

I've a Garmin DC 46 and a short Amazon special for cable.

I think it's no longer being made from looking at the Garmin website https://www.garmin.com/en-IE/p/661782

• Like 1