Spark Plugs - 1.5TSI Karoq

Petroldsg

Skoda / VW recommendations, guidelines, maybe even specification or a schedule shows them to be changed at 4 years / 40,000 miles.

Quite a good idea, they certainly should be checked and with a 1.5 TSI ACT i would be making sure they were and if removing to check replace them.

Use your registration number on many of the Sites that sell Spark Plugs to see which you require.  Your local Motor Factor will sell you the correct ones.

?

Are you changing them yourself. Best have an Ignition Coil removal tool.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk

Screenshot 2023-09-27 13.42.16.jpg

Edited by toot
  • Haha 1

Since returning to petrol cars after years of diesels, I'm amazed at the life of modern spark plugs. Back in the 80's I'm sure I remember having to gap and clean them every 5,000 miles, and change them every 10,00 miles!

Chris

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CJJE said:

gap and clean

Carbs were rather poor at giving a well atomised, correct ratio mixture compared with electronic fuel injection, so the environment the plugs had to work in was a lot more variable and generally worse for longevity. 

• Like 3

@CJJE

There still are VW Group TSI engines that you might well want to be checking at around 10,000 miles and where not they had an early demise.

That is not cheap plugs, those can be OME and people pay £10-£25 for them.

There are plugs that are still just a few quid and do a long time / miles and special sopper doopers that are damn expensive and never going to be good for 65,000 miles as a Dealership employee might say they are good for and why the charge so much for them.

16 hours ago, CJJE said:

Since returning to petrol cars after years of diesels, I'm amazed at the life of modern spark plugs. Back in the 80's I'm sure I remember having to gap and clean them every 5,000 miles, and change them every 10,00 miles!

Chris

Yep, 60k km for Longlife 3-contact NGK (on my Mk1 Fabia 1.4) and 90k km for Iridium (on my sister's Yaris Mk3 1.33). Normal manufacturer intervals, according how looked/worked old spark plugs, when I replaced them.

But my childhood USSR sh...ty mopeds and bikes with their spark plugs- it's another story, ahaha.

I have had a Skoda Fixed price servicing contract since I bought the car new in 2018. 

I was checking the service plan recently and was shocked to read in the small print that spark plugs were not part of the deal and that an additional charge of £105 was required to replace them.

I purchased four NGK95929 plugs for £47 and will change them myself as my car is now at 42000 miles.

Access to the spark plugs isn't the easiest but there are videos online showing you what is required.

I still think the diy option is best and saves nearly £60.

£105 was the Skoda fixed price at participating dealers for 3 or 4 spark plugs.  It went to £115 and then to POA.     So maybe someone has paid a main dealer recently for 3 or 4 plugs supplied and 20 % vat.   When the car gets 3 plugs the garage still has one in stock.   Very odd how the HMRC allows what seems to be fraud.    But they will say you are subsidising those with 4 cylinder cars, cars that use more oil to service etc.  Ok if they were cheap Fixed Price services items but they are not.

2 hours ago, toot said:

£105 was the Skoda fixed price at participating dealers for 3 or 4 spark plugs.  It went to £115 and then to POA.     So maybe someone has paid a main dealer recently for 3 or 4 plugs supplied and 20 % vat.   When the car gets 3 plugs the garage still has one in stock.   Very odd how the HMRC allows what seems to be fraud.    But they will say you are subsidising those with 4 cylinder cars, cars that use more oil to service etc.  Ok if they were cheap Fixed Price services items but they are not.

What's all this talk about 3 spark plugs when the subject is Spart Plugs - 1.5tsi ?

What's fraudulant about it?

Where does HMRC come into it?

Skoda 1.5tsi - needs 4 x spark plugs. Phone the Skoda dealer ask for a price to change the plugs. If itheir price is too expensive, phone around some other garages for a better quote.   No need to call the fraud sqaud, no need to telephone Jeremy Hunt.

• Kiss 1

A member posted about their 1.0 TSI and spark plugs.  Maybe some here that have had plugs or been quoted for them on a 3 or 4 cylinder TSI recently can say what Main Dealers are charging or quoting.    It might be that some do charge less than £115 for 3 or 4 plugs supplied and fitted and the VAT.     @kodiaqsportlinemaybe less getting yourself near the surface is in order. 

Your contribution to a thread already with the answers concerning 1.5 TSI ACTS,s is to try to get a dig in at me.

Helpful.  Maybe next you can say how i have not got a Skoda or use Main Dealers or get my information from the Internet. But not from anything helpful you post about.

Edited by toot

7 hours ago, toot said:

A member posted about their 1.0 TSI and spark plugs.  Maybe some here that have had plugs or been quoted for them on a 3 or 4 cylinder TSI recently can say what Main Dealers are charging or quoting.    It might be that some do charge less than £115 for 3 or 4 plugs supplied and fitted and the VAT.     @kodiaqsportlinemaybe less getting yourself near the surface is in order. 

Your contribution to a thread already with the answers concerning 1.5 TSI ACTS,s is to try to get a dig in at me.

Helpful.  Maybe next you can say how i have not got a Skoda or use Main Dealers or get my information from the Internet. But not from anything helpful you post about.

It's not a dig, it's to stop confusion. And it's to stop taking every opportunity to have a go at dealers.

You haven't answered what's fraudulant about it. You haven't answered HMRC's involvement.  Why have you mentioned them? I'm sure I'm not the only person who's completely baffled by your reply.

For the life of me I can't understand why people chose to complicate something that's so simple. The owner asks how much does it cost to change the spark plugs, the garage gives their price and you either take it or leave it.  What does it matter if it's a 3, 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engine?

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Like 1

The offer or Fixed Price is on engines 2.0 l or under.  So we can forget the 5,6,8 or even cylinder engines from VW Group.

There was a period of time it said *Excludes Citigo*  because they were / are 3 cylinder and got a lower price, but for a Fabia with the same 3 cylinders they charged the same as 4 cylinder engines.

Same with Services, Oil & Filter, charging the same for the cars with 2.8 or 3.2 or 3.6 liters of oil at a service as those with 4.6 litres.

Yes you pays your money and get the work done or go elsewhere and pay for what you get which is what happened supposedly when they stopped the Minor / Interim & Major Services fixed price where each 2nd Major Service you might not get a Air Filter or Spark Plugs / Diesel Filter.  Paid the same though.

It went Oil & Inspection Service, Extended Scope & pay for items, pollen filter, air filter, brake fluid replacement, spark plug replacement.

If you charge a fixed price for something then that is that.

But to charge the same for 3 x £15 spark plugs as 4 X £15 spark plugs, or actually 4 X £17 spark plugs, labor & VAT there is something very strange there.

Actually 3 x £7 spark plugs & 4 x £7 spark plugs as they get them supplied.

KFC might do a discount and instead of 6 Chicken Wings for £2.99 & 10 for £3.99 they do 12 for £3.50.   But the receipt shows the price of items and the VAT on that. 

Capture.JPG.d4b3472c9719ddab217821602b0a27a5.jpeg.45cadeaf036a2c68451c80af540d363a.jpeg.2a3b07796596e661a54c927557e27def.jpeg

1039190636_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_36.jpg.994d2b104123865330d493df0f73629e.jpg.469b173dd8ff2b7c1980f902f406fe61.jpg

1025295341_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_17.jpg.f3e4a6dc63cb89105f9b1ac440bb1614.jpg.1a83aff70ed152245067b78901bec0e3.jpg

1179912860_922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736(1).jpg.606196879c2532f67305f1ec411800c6.jpg

52024536_1221833257_Screenshot2020-10-03at13_19_19.jpg.c743b2191e0cb186e97d46c7df84c5cf.jpg.13ba0766-cb4ea7010a9dfafa032(1).jpg.e00b14b966fa424e82d73c19be972a46.jpg.3e8039140bee5912c1d470be662e4207.jpg

15 hours ago, toot said:

If you charge a fixed price for something then that is that.

But to charge the same for 3 x £15 spark plugs as 4 X £15 spark plugs, or actually 4 X £17 spark plugs, labor & VAT there is something very strange there.

Actually 3 x £7 spark plugs & 4 x £7 spark plugs as they get them supplied.

KFC might do a discount and instead of 6 Chicken Wings for £2.99 & 10 for £3.99 they do 12 for £3.50.   But the receipt shows the price of items and the VAT on that.

I have to say you're coming over as being incredibly stupid, which of course you're not.

Why are you mentioning prices of individual items?   Nobody is asking Skoda for individual items and neither are they selling us individual items. We're buying a service or a package if you like.  It's no different to Thomas Cook selling us a package holiday. 

There is nothing whatsoever fraudulant about Skoda setting a price to have the spark plugs changed and unless they're not paying their taxes, it's bonkers to suggest HMRC should be investigating.

Here's the million dollar question - If you think it's fraud, are you going to report it?  I'll put 50p on the answer being no. :D 

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Groan 1

I have worked in enough places with the chancers at it.

That includes 3 of Scotlands biggest motor groups.

Mony a mickle maks a muckle, they buy in parts and charge for them time after time and there they are on the shelf.

For each 4 X 3 cylinder car they service there are 4 plugs that are available to use on a 4 cylinder car at no cost and they take VAT. 

Nice for them, signed off in their accounts.  In other businesses i know this happens. 

Take VAT from customers, and pay the VAT when due is good.

Their way almost covers them for pilfering from the Stock by employees or others. 

I tell them at the dealership or anyplace VAT Registered if a customer paying to put down the parts and the prices and add VAT.

Charge the labor and VAT. 

I will pay the retail price if they supply parts.    Give the Free Wash & Vacuum a miss, charge the labor cost. 

If they want from the Service Desk Staff coming out to check the car for damage and the car worked on, road tested etc, and if they are doing a FREE Health Check then that is free.

No way if no Washer Fluid was supplied do i let them put it on as supplied and allow them to take VAT from me, give me a bottle of washer fluid or remove from the invoice.

or for a Sump Plug not supplied and take 20% VAT.

If the deal offered works my way i let them charge too little but if they are being Robbing Barstewards and putting on extra time and charging for parts not supplied and having it with VAT costing the same as if they were spending the time and fitting the parts i tell them, adjust your invoice.

Like last month Charge Place Scotland charging me for Aberdeen Council EV chargers that did not work but i was getting charged £1 each time i tried to connect.

Their answer was they just deal with the billing.

I pointed out no service was provided, no power was supplied so that were not getting to have me pay VAT on 80 pence for getting nothing.   It was removed from my account.

A few times last month the chargers worked and never registered to my account and i paid nothing.   My luck, Aberdeen Council should fix their chargers.

Edited by toot