Car alarm keeps sounding

Hi all, 

I have a fabia mk3 2015. The car factory fitted car alarm has sounded two different nights this past week, for what I presume is no apparent reason at all. 

What could be the cause? The car battery itself is a year old, if that, and in full working order still (used a tester earlier to double check).

All latch sensors appear to be working as the display illuminates on my dash whenever I open my door, boot and bonnets. 

I sat in my vehicle also to test the interior alarm sensor - it isn't overly sensitive, so again, I doubt these are faulty.

No issue with me key fob either (still works as normal). 

Any help is much appreciated. 

Thanks

17 minutes ago, Crucian said:

Check for moths / spiders etc in the vehicle, assuming its not scum trying to make you leave it off

Would that really trigger the interior sensor? As it's not overly sensitive - took a considerable amount of moving with me in the car to trigger it off. 

PS. I agree on the second part of your comment. Where I live is full of scumbags. 

I had a spider living in mine which kept setting it off.

In the middle of the night, of course!

Kept finding its web, but never the culprit.

I had to tape over the interior sensors in the end (my the interior light)

2 hours ago, alan4856732 said:

I had a spider living in mine which kept setting it off.

In the middle of the night, of course!

Kept finding its web, but never the culprit.

I had to tape over the interior sensors in the end (my the interior light)

That's maddening. I've unclipped the siren for the meantime. And as a precaution, I've bought a second hand siren off of a 2019 polo (same part number) and also brand new interior sensors. 

Hoping just replacing the siren will fix the issue as I read online they will start sounding if the internal battery in the siren is on its last legs. 

Just now, CReese123 said:

That's maddening. I've unclipped the siren for the meantime. And as a precaution, I've bought a second hand siren off of a 2019 polo (same part number) and also brand new interior sensors. 

Hoping just replacing the siren will fix the issue as I read online they will start sounding if the internal battery in the siren is on its last legs. 

FYI cost me £30 quid

13 hours ago, CReese123 said:

Also if anyone has knowledge on the location of the alarm siren, I'd very much appreciate the info. Thanks :)

Update: Under the the windshield, between the wiper motor and linkages. 

22 hours ago, CReese123 said:

What could be the cause?

7 hours ago, CReese123 said:

they will start sounding if the internal battery in the siren is on its last legs. 

You might have answered your own question.

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AGFalco said:

You might have answered your own question.

Thanks. AG Falco

Part is due back this Thursday. I'll keep you guys posted on how I get on! :)

The alarm doesn't appear to have gone off since disconnecting the siren. Though with no sound, it's difficult to tell - my indicators still flash when the alarm is triggered mind, and I've not gone back to the car to see flashing lights at all. 

Does anyone know if the indicators turn off after some time? I know the alarm siren typically does after 10 minutes or so. 

Does the flashing rate of the driver's door LED not indicate if there has been an alarm being triggered event(s), even although, by law, it will have reset the "horn" if connected and the indicators flashing?

Edit:- ie the LED will remain flashing at a higher rate than normal until the car alarm has been switched off by unlocking the car.

Edited by rum4mo

1 hour ago, rum4mo said:

Does the flashing rate of the driver's door LED not indicate if there has been an alarm being triggered event(s), even although, by law, it will have reset the "horn" if connected and the indicators flashing?

Edit:- ie the LED will remain flashing at a higher rate than normal until the car alarm has been switched off by unlocking the car.

I've not thought of this before. I will keep an eye and monitor if this is the case with my vehicle. Thanks for your reply. 

I'm sure that I read that somewhere, maybe even in the driver's manual, certainly, when the alarm on my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI was triggered, probably by  a passing truck while that car was parked in a pub cark park, that had never happened before, and never again in the following maybe 2 years, on that occasion, as I had remembered that fact, I did check the flashing of the LED, and it was flashing quicker than normal. One of the bar staff did ask who owned the silver Polo as its alarm had gone off - and that was my wife's car, so this was not just me guessing.

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2023 at 17:07, rum4mo said:

I'm sure that I read that somewhere, maybe even in the driver's manual, certainly, when the alarm on my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI was triggered, probably by  a passing truck while that car was parked in a pub cark park, that had never happened before, and never again in the following maybe 2 years, on that occasion, as I had remembered that fact, I did check the flashing of the LED, and it was flashing quicker than normal. One of the bar staff did ask who owned the silver Polo as its alarm had gone off - and that was my wife's car, so this was not just me guessing.

Fixed the issue. Internal alarm siren battery had failed. Replaced with a £15 siren from a breakers yard off of a 2020 polo. All sorted. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2023 at 20:22, CReese123 said:

Fixed the issue. Internal alarm siren battery had failed. Replaced with a £15 siren from a breakers yard off of a 2020 polo. All sorted. 

Interesting to know for future, as I had issues with my car alarm going off at silly o clock in the morning. Thought it was thieves but set up a camera to watch it and, nothing. For me, replacing my car battery had fixed the issue as it was the same battery from factory so 6 yr old, but if it keeps going off again (as it did once a few months after changing the car battery, but not since) ill look into this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lewiswal47 said:

Interesting to know for future, as I had issues with my car alarm going off at silly o clock in the morning. Thought it was thieves but set up a camera to watch it and, nothing. For me, replacing my car battery had fixed the issue as it was the same battery from factory so 6 yr old, but if it keeps going off again (as it did once a few months after changing the car battery, but not since) ill look into this. 

If it helps, the siren took 10 minutes to fit as its located under the plastic scuttle that sits by the wiper blades. 

PS. 

It's worth scanning for fault codes also - unsure if its the same across the board, but I scanned my car out of curiosity 10 minutes prio to fitting the new alarm siren and it had hidden fault codes on the ecu. I was gonna change the siren either way, but scanned for curiosity. 

Edited by CReese123

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 20:22, CReese123 said:

Hi there,

I've got a similar problem on my Superb 2017 that no one can seem to fathom. Checked bonnet sensor and all the usual.  Can I ask where you foind the part number for your Fabia so you knew whatto order? I might try the same thing. Cheers.

16 minutes ago, IndeedFox said:

Hi there,

I've got a similar problem on my Superb 2017 that no one can seem to fathom. Checked bonnet sensor and all the usual.  Can I ask where you foind the part number for your Fabia so you knew whatto order? I might try the same thing. Cheers.

I'd try what I have done - as the shelf life on the alarms is reportedly 5yrs (on average).

This said, don't rule out your interior sensors (should be overhead in between the two front seats, around the area of the middle light). If a fly is in your vehicle or even a spider, it'll set it off

I've attached the part number in a picture for the alarm, which is : 5Q0 951 605 A

Don't worry if the other little details don't add up. It's that number itself that needs to align with your alarm. And, contrary to what people may have you think, zero programming required, whether you buy it new or from a breakers yard. 

Screenshot_20231008_213625_eBay.jpg

2 hours ago, CReese123 said:

I'd try what I have done - as the shelf life on the alarms is reportedly 5yrs (on average).

This said, don't rule out your interior sensors (should be overhead in between the two front seats, around the area of the middle light). If a fly is in your vehicle or even a spider, it'll set it off

I've attached the part number in a picture for the alarm, which is : 5Q0 951 605 A

Don't worry if the other little details don't add up. It's that number itself that needs to align with your alarm. And, contrary to what people may have you think, zero programming required, whether you buy it new or from a breakers yard. 

Screenshot_20231008_213625_eBay.jpg

Tganks buddy, at risk of sounding daft, this is a Fabia part isn't it? Do they use the same part across range or am I looking for a Suerb specific one?  Thanks again.

30 minutes ago, IndeedFox said:

Tganks buddy, at risk of sounding daft, this is a Fabia part isn't it? Do they use the same part across range or am I looking for a Suerb specific one?  Thanks again.

It's the same siren used across the board by VW in their Skoda, VW, Seat models, etc.

You'll find the part is transferable. There are not any model specific sirens.

And the partnumber I quoted is not model specific. 

For example, I bought a replacement from a 2020 Polo, though I seen spares going for Octavia's, Superb's, Yeti's (all with the same part code). 

And even then, the few I seen with a different part code (I. E. Some newer, Face-lifted models) were 100% identical to the siren numbered 5Q0 951 605 A, and a direct fit - on that basis, I've no doubt it would have had no negative repercussions had I fitted a siren with a slightly different part code. 

It's just a siren at the end of the day. 

Try not to over think it - as there's simply nothing to over think. 

Hope this helps. 

:)

Edited by CReese123

1 hour ago, CReese123 said:

It's the same siren used across the board by VW in their Skoda, VW, Seat models, etc.

You'll find the part is transferable. There are not any model specific sirens.

And the partnumber I quoted is not model specific. 

For example, I bought a replacement from a 2020 Polo, though I seen spares going for Octavia's, Superb's, Yeti's (all with the same part code). 

And even then, the few I seen with a different part code (I. E. Some newer, Face-lifted models) were 100% identical to the siren numbered 5Q0 951 605 A, and a direct fit - on that basis, I've no doubt it would have had no negative repercussions had I fitted a siren with a slightly different part code. 

It's just a siren at the end of the day. 

Try not to over think it - as there's simply nothing to over think. 

Hope this helps. 

:)

Cheers. Quickly realised this as I searched for them. Going to buy the newest one I can find to hopefully have a longer battery life.

1 hour ago, IndeedFox said:

Cheers. Quickly realised this as I searched for them. Going to buy the newest one I can find to hopefully have a longer battery life.

That's what I did - think going for the newest available is the smartest option. Good luck 👍