ULEZ and other similar schemes we are being told are all about clean air for everybody but are they really just a means of making money from motorists?

Yes, sorry  Average life expectancy men and women.

My BIL,s granny was the oldest lady in Scotland at 113.  I had Long lived Aunties on my dads side.

Among my Mum & Dads friends nearly all the men all died in their 70,s & the women lived on another 20 years or more, a few are alive but not to my mums age. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, @Lee said:

It's winter so obviously there's gonna be some mist and also, that's not exactly 4K video is it.

Well let me tell you if that video was Sepiaised then so were my eyes as for many years I had family living in London and we would make regular trips into London to Bow and Finchley to see them and also for many years I spent 5 days a week working in London and also I used to flying out of Stapleford airfield, just within the M25 and when driving into London and also when climbing out of the airfield there was a very distinct and highly visible purple haze dome, like a force field all over London, perfectly visible with the naked eye from a distance. I suppose that the photo lifted from the Getty Images Site has also been doctored to make it look worse?

It also important to understand that this photo here is pre London LEZ which was not introduced until 4th feb 2008.

Igettyimages-domeofpollution2005.thumb.jpg.e95d6abc1a317731ecf2acaf540fe728.jpg

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Groan 1

Central London at the height of summer isn't really a great comparison to the countryside in winter. Does central London still get smog like that or has ULEZ and other factors reduced it?

Let me get this straight then, when builders are uncovering these ancient burial grounds while building the new infrastructure of today, and the archaeologists move in and do their bit about learning all about our past etc, and the bodies are taken to various universities for scientists to do dating and other scientific testing to discover just why they died and learn about life back then, then the data that they produce is worthless, and we actually learn nothing about how long people lived back then etc, and we are all living a lie? 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, @Lee said:

Central London at the height of summer isn't really a great comparison to the countryside in winter. Does central London still get smog like that or has ULEZ and other factors reduced it?

Central London has had increasing air quality for decades, these days when you drive towards London and you cannot see the dome of pollution hanging over it. Clearly there will still be some pollution there as there will be in any urban area compared to the countryside, that's a given. Yes there is always room for improvements in everything but that does not mean that the ICE should be the automatic target to hit.

Yes the PMs of diesels also contribute a lot to whatever pollution there is, but who is to blame for this when governments around the World have been promoting its use for decades, and also is it not true that these days, diesels are getting considerably cleaner and rapidly approaching that of petrol engines as more of the older diesels are making their way to the scrap heaps.

Truth is that the air quality in London is generally worse in areas like the South where most of the housing is located and this can be seen in the live data maps I keep linking to and the areas that are far worse than other, can usually be found in areas where is either a underground tube vent outlet or, extremely high levels of domestic housing or where the monitoring station has been located in close proximity to a commercial caterers such as a fast food outlet etc. where they are using gas for cooking and heating. The evidence is right there for all to see if they could only be bothered to look for it using the AQI site to see where the readings are high, drilling down into the data more, and then using Google Earth and Google Maps along with Street views, you can spot the location of the monitoring station in relation to the other things, and also you see the type of road and the traffic etc.

For a man who uses the following (below) as his signature line, quote, I would have expected a greater understanding and willingness to investigate and attempt to learn a better understanding of just how we, the motorists are being taken for fools.

Your quote.

“The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later that debt is paid.
It's Easier to Fool People Than to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled - attributed to Mark Twain.

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Groan 1

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

Yes, sorry  Average life expectancy men and women.

My BIL,s granny was the oldest lady in Scotland at 113.  I had Long lived Aunties on my dads side.

Among my Mum & Dads friends nearly all the men all died in their 70,s & the women lived on another 20 years or more, a few are alive but not to my mums age. 

My mum was one of 3 sisters, 1 older and 1 younger than her. My mum has always lived in the countryside, a trim lady and passed away at the age of 92 and had been a keen advocate of the virtues of being a vegan and having nothing but organically grown food, much of it she grew herself, so in theory having the very best air quality and best food, whereas her elder sister spend much of her life living London and later in life in major cities around the world as her husband was a high-flyer in the Civil Service and also the military and was posted all over the World, was grossly overweight and smoked and yet she outlived my mum to almost 101. Her youngest sister has lived in London, all of her life until a few years ago when she moved to the Isle of Wight and is currently living in a home for the elderly at Freshwater Bay, and celebrated her 100th birthday early this month.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, skomaz said:

Indeed - the most polluted areas in Sheffield are the train station and now the area behind the Crucible Theatre now that they've closed it ne way to cars and diverted all the buses down it...

As for particulates - EV's tend to generate much more from tyres than a similar ICE vehicle does so it all balances out...

I cannot find a monitoring station near the railway station but I have found 2 others that are reading high, but are still considered to be in the no risk zone, one is on Barnsley Road near to the junction with Earl Marshal Road and the other is a few hundred metres from the Cruicible Theatre, at Devonshire Green. Both are located in the middle of housing areas, the latter has many high rise blocks in the area and a very quiet road, the first is on the A6135 road but still does not seem to a major road. These 2 I think are reading higher than others due in part to their exposure of air that is impacted with the effects of domestic gas boilers in the area.

BarnsleyRoadSheffield.thumb.jpg.0f5f72119b7633698c9ab11d2851f140.jpg

DevonshireGreenSheffield.thumb.jpg.b321de01a68ba63a60e3c908addfea60.jpg

DevonshireGreenHousingSheffield.thumb.jpg.6d68ffebedf86b2fe6e3ffda78d57ee0.jpg

MapBarnsleyRoadSheffield.thumb.jpg.4c2680e114b755fcdd667bfbd5c191f4.jpg

MapDevonshireGreen.Sheffield.thumb.jpg.1964b0f76e01c7f2471c61345f792f3b.jpg

Edited by Graham Butcher

37 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

I cannot find a monitoring station near the railway station but I have found 2 others that are reading high, but are still considered to be in the no risk zone, one is on Barnsley Road near to the junction with Earl Marshal Road and the other is a few hundred metres from the Cruicible Theatre, at Devonshire Green. Both are located in the middle of housing areas, the latter has many high rise blocks in the area and a very quiet road, the first is on the A6135 road but still does not seem to a major road. These 2 I think are reading higher than others due in part to their exposure of air that is impacted with the effects of domestic gas boilers in the area.

BarnsleyRoadSheffield.thumb.jpg.0f5f72119b7633698c9ab11d2851f140.jpg

DevonshireGreenSheffield.thumb.jpg.b321de01a68ba63a60e3c908addfea60.jpg

DevonshireGreenHousingSheffield.thumb.jpg.6d68ffebedf86b2fe6e3ffda78d57ee0.jpg

The ones on that site are the DfE ones - Devonshire Green is in a car park and surrounded by restaurants and fast food places as well as being in a 'hollow'.  The Barnsley Road one I know and is on a busy road and the main drag to the big Northern General Hospital.  The others are next to the M1 and a Ringinglow outside the school where the buses wait.

SCC also have their own set ups and diffusion tubes at various locations which is where the Station info comes from - No2 levels there are usually over 60microgrammes per M3, well over 2.5 times those anywhere else.

• Love it! 1

7 minutes ago, skomaz said:

The ones on that site are the DfE ones - Devonshire Green is in a car park and surrounded by restaurants and fast food places as well as being in a 'hollow'.  The Barnsley Road one I know and is on a busy road and the main drag to the big Northern General Hospital.  The others are next to the M1 and a Ringinglow outside the school where the buses wait.

SCC also have their own set ups and diffusion tubes at various locations which is where the Station info comes from - No2 levels there are usually over 60microgrammes per M3, well over 2.5 times those anywhere else.

Many thanks for the confirmation, it is certainly looking like I may not be a million miles off after all then. Another thought is, just how much of an impact is nanotechnology having on airborne pollution, we are seeing far more use of nanomaterials these days, such as carbon fibres etc, what possible horrors will be discovered about these materials in years to come? 

@Winston_Woof Many thanks for the link to, I'll be playing around with the site in more detail later on, but early indications would suggest major disconnects with what we are being told with regard to the need for the LEZ, ULEZ and LTN's and what these other agencies are telling us.

29 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

@Winston_Woof Many thanks for the link to, I'll be playing around with the site in more detail later on, but early indications would suggest major disconnects with what we are being told with regard to the need for the LEZ, ULEZ and LTN's and what these other agencies are telling us.

and yet DEFRA is a Government agency...............................

• Haha 1

@Winston_Woof Yes it is a Government agency and that is where the problem lies, they tend to deal in truth and data is recorded, whereas the Government is made from political parties and they firstly have one aim, and that is to retain control and put the party before country and there is the conflict of interests, DEFRA is not a political party and is interested only in the country and wants to do good for the country and its people, it has no real power, that lays with what ever political party is in power at the time.

15 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

@Winston_Woof Yes it is a Government agency and that is where the problem lies, they tend to deal in truth and data is recorded, whereas the Government is made from political parties and they firstly have one aim, and that is to retain control and put the party before country and there is the conflict of interests, DEFRA is not a political party and is interested only in the country and wants to do good for the country and its people, it has no real power, that lays with what ever political party is in power at the time.

on a sidebar note, I used to love Yes Minister (& Yes Prime Minister)

Well colour me shocked. Tory councillor admins 36 anti ULEZ Facebook groups which spread propaganda, Islamophobic messaging and anti Sadiq Khan messaging.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/apr/27/tory-staff-running-network-of-anti-ulez-facebook-groups-riddled-with-racism-and-abuse?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

Fantastic. If it can be like that everywhere in all weather conditions.

If London gets a Conservative & Unionist Party Mayor tomorrow is she doing away with ULEZ?

?

What is the reason for the place on the West Coast of Ireland being as it is, a weather front as there is right now and moving east?

19 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

I have no idea why that yellow dot is there even because it only meant to be covering the UK. 

That there's some corner of a foreign field. That is for ever England.