Lane assist and stop/start,

fabill

I’ve had the Karoq for a month or so now and by and large very pleased.

But, need your help on a couple of points.

Lane assist.
Does a 2020 Karoq SE Drive have Lane assist? I can’t find any reference in the assist menu. All I can find is a screen including Front assist. But no Lane assist.

And, there is no lane assistance. I can cross lanes at will.

Stop/start. This seems to have a mind of its own. Works sometimes. Doesn’t others. Dealer says it’s quite normal behaviour when doing lots of short journeys.
Note: I did lots of short journeys in my Kamiq and it never behaved like this. 

Incidentally, I’m not too bothered at not having either of these. I’m just wanting to know if my particular car should have Lane assist and why the stop/start is intermittent.

1DA1CE25-268F-42B3-9FA3-643371B5FC59.jpeg

2023 Karoq has these features excluded and non purchasable through out most markets (Assists). The car supports it, but Skoda removed it some time ago for chip shortage reasons, or it just wasn't included in the car to begin with.

Thing is, it is very likely you don't have it. As for the start stop, it has some requirements. Engine status, battery, stuff hidden from us. It could be normal depending on the conditions of the drive and car itself.

6 minutes ago, MrSecretPotato said:

It is possible to code lane assist if you have front camera installed. Search for VAG retrofitters around you, some even do remote coding.

From pic I attached you'll see the car has Front Assist and it's activated. Does that mean it has a camera? 

Going back to question in first post -  Does anyone know: 'Does/Should an October 2020 Karoq 150 SE Drive have Lane assist?'

On stop/start. Checked battery: resting voltage - 12.14V. Could that be contributory to erratic stop/start? Charging is good though - 14.19V  

1 hour ago, fabill said:

From pic I attached you'll see the car has Front Assist and it's activated. Does that mean it has a camera? 

Going back to question in first post -  Does anyone know: 'Does/Should an October 2020 Karoq 150 SE Drive have Lane assist?'

On stop/start. Checked battery: resting voltage - 12.14V. Could that be contributory to erratic stop/start? Charging is good though - 14.19V  

If you have a thin black plastic cover between the headliner and rear view mirror, you only have rain and light sensor. If you have a wide plastic cover(10cm) then you should have a camera, therefore you can get lane assist.

It is not a standard feature, it comes as an extra. Front assist uses the front radar built into the grille of the car.

For the start stop issue: the infotainment should let you know why it’s not working. Won’t work if it’s too cold, or engine temp is too low, or energy consumption is too high like heated seats or aircon.

I coded it out of mine, couldn’t stand the engine shutting off constantly at every stop.

9 hours ago, fabill said:

Stop/start. This seems to have a mind of its own. Works sometimes. Doesn’t others. Dealer says it’s quite normal behaviour when doing lots of short journeys.

I honestly can't remember the last time my start-stop decided it was going to get out of bed and do something, but I can't say I miss it in the least.

My stop-start seems to be very dependent on the battery being fully topped up by a long drive.

My car was sat on a dealer forecourt doing nowt for 6 months during lockdown, and I don't think it did the AGM battery any good.

My commute is 9-11 miles, depending on the route, and while the majority of it is motorway driving, it doesn't seem to be enough to get the stop-start system to activate by the end of the commute.

I've got one of those plug-in 12v solar battery chargers that I leave connected to the car, but it seems to do nowt. Maybe it will be better in summer? (Or maybe my battery isn't the cause of the failure to work.)

It works so rarely, I've got out of the habit of switching the stop-start off, so I dare say when it does kick in, it will catch me by surprise.

Lane Assist.

MrSecretPotato: 'If you have a thin black plastic cover between the headliner and rear view mirror, you only have rain and light sensor. If you have a wide plastic cover(10cm) then you should have a camera, therefore you can get lane assist.'

Car has thin film. So, no camera, therefore no Lane assist!!  

Thank you!

Stop/Start.

To the others; thank you for insight. Seems my car isn't alone. I'll cancel each time. Don't want to get caught out if it unexpectedly decided to work.

On 19/10/2023 at 11:32, MrSecretPotato said:

If you decide to code it out, it's a very simple procedure to do so, and you wont have to worry about it again.

I'd like to know how!!

Hi all,

Have gained enough from here, the local dealer and elsewhere to confirm the stop/start function will be intermittent - it's down to the conditions that prevail at the time.

To finally put this thread to bed, one last thing. Is car battery doing its job?

Using Ctek MXS 3.8 I charged the battery until it was in Green zone. Did this on two occasions.

First occasion: Reading 12.8V. Following morning at rest 12.14V

Second occasion:  Reading12.7V. Following morning at rest 11.98V.

Thereafter, over four days with varying length journeys,  4 to 25 miles, readings following morning at rest were: 11.98V, 11.92V, 11.93V and 11.94V.

Are these what you'd expect the voltages to be on a three year old battery?

Note. Had it not been for the intermittent operation of the start/stop I would not have had any reason to check the battery. The car starts and runs spot-on. 

Reading the above, my tuppence worth is...

A 2020 Karoq maybe one of two model years - 2019 model year or a 2021 model year.  Easy to tell - do you have the larger USB-A sockets ( 2019MY ) or newer and smaller USB-C sockets (2021MY )?

Reason i ask is the above replies are true for 2019MY but 2021MY cars will have component protection so 'coding' could be problematic on later cars.

Do you have the right Camera?  Rule of thumb is if your car displays the current speed limit ( the camera reads road signs ) then you have the camera. If not then afraid lane assist won't be available to you.  To avoid paying for lane assist as an option ( aound £500? ), the trick was to specify your car with traffic sign detection ( £90 ) and then code it to enable lane assist.  ( it also worked vice versa. Folk who didn't  specify speed sign detection but had lane assist could enable speeds to be displayed on the dash via coding).

Stop/start.  If your car does mostly short journeys then stop/start is unlikely to kick in. You may have noticed it kick in more often during hot summer days, but on the whole no. If however you've been driving for a while and you shift the DSG in to P when waiting at traffic lights or a level crossing say,  it seems to have less conditions to meet and you'll find the engine stops.

Battery? Sorry but my batteries only get checked at it's annual service. I don't go looking for problems :D

Edited by kodiaqsportline

Fabil, should your stop/start issues be due to the battery not be working 100% + you say you've got a CTEK battery charger.  If it is the same CTEK model as mine, it will have a battery reconditioner option that can be selected.  It restores damage done by sulphation, that I believe is the normal cause of battery ageing.  CTEK recommend you carry out this proceedure every year.  Thought of plugging myself into it too.

I haven't done this testoration proceedure yet on the battery in my 4yr old Karoq, but intend to do so soon.  I did however occasionally charge my car battery during Covid lock down, when the CTEK does check for sulphation and each time the CTEK told me there was no such damage, but that was a while ago now.  I'm trying to see how long I can make my car battery last, as replacement on the more sophisticated ones in modern cars, is costly.

3 hours ago, croquemonsieur said:

Fabil, should your stop/start issues be due to the battery not be working 100% + you say you've got a CTEK battery charger.  If it is the same CTEK model as mine, it will have a battery reconditioner option that can be selected.  It restores damage done by sulphation, that I believe is the normal cause of battery ageing.  CTEK recommend you carry out this proceedure every year.  Thought of plugging myself into it too.

I haven't done this testoration proceedure yet on the battery in my 4yr old Karoq, but intend to do so soon.  I did however occasionally charge my car battery during Covid lock down, when the CTEK does check for sulphation and each time the CTEK told me there was no such damage, but that was a while ago now.  I'm trying to see how long I can make my car battery last, as replacement on the more sophisticated ones in modern cars, is costly.

Ctek MXS 3.8

Charger is cycling through to Green zone - Indicating battery is not sulphated and is holding charge.

However, multi meter shows drop from fully charged to 11.94V average overnight. I’ll keep a watch on it.

Will pop into dealer next time I’m passing.

Edited by fabill

13 minutes ago, fabill said:

Ctek MXS 3.8

Charger is cycling through to Green zone - Indicating battery is not sulphated and is holding charge.

However, multi meter shows drop from fully charged to 11.94V average overnight. I’ll keep a watch on it.

Will pop into dealer next time I’m passing.

Depending on whether you are allowing sufficient time for canbus modules to enter sleep mode before you are taking battery voltage readings, your low readings could suggest that you have a parasitic load draining your battery overnight - or it could just be that your battery is failing - have you had the battery tested? 11.94 VDC is a pretty big drop from full charge. Does your Ctek charger have a AGM/EFB setting? I ask because these batteries require a slightly higher charging voltage than standard ones.

If you open the door in the morning to pen the bonnet to take a voltage reading from the battery then most things will have been woken up and 11.94 volts is actually a very healthy reading especially if its a start/stop vehicle.

My parasitic drain is 50% more than it should be because of the towing relay, it's not caused a problem to date but I hav a visible voltmeter in the car so I can see from outside without waking things up what the actual resting voltage is, if it is too low after not driving for an extended period I prefer to charge the battery than try to start the car which might damage it and reduce its life, of course the voltmeter also increases the parasitic drain!

The old voltmeter broke, the new one has a red/orange/green LED array with the corresponding voltage written beside them in type too small to read 😒lets say there are 8 leds, when driving it will be within the last 2 green leds, at shutdown it will drop one more, after an hour or so it will have dropped to the highest orange one as the battery cools.

The next morning it will still be on the highest orange LED but as soon as I use the central locking it will drop to the lowest red one and were I to use my multimeter the battery would read less than 12v with the volt drop from the Canbus controllers yet the starting will be instant and the battery could crank the engine for 10 minutes or until the smoke leaks out from the starter wiring (already been there!).

When you disconnect or reconnect the battery you get a huge spark which illustrates jut how much current is being drawn with the ignition off.

Warrier, interesting, my CTEK has an AGM setting, so I emailed CTEK in Sweden a few years ago soon after purchase, asking what I should use for my EFB battery and they said to use the ordinary battery option, not the AGM one.

As an aside I charge through the cigarette lighter, having bought the necessary extra lead.  I tend to drive with stop/start off, just turning it on if I anticipate a longish wait at traffic lights etc. otherwise I'd feel guilty watching the journey average mpg dropping noticeably while stopped.  Stop/start does seem to make a difference to mpg, so glad I've got as a switcheable facility, my first car with stop/start.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, croquemonsieur said:

Warrier, interesting, my CTEK has an AGM setting, so I emailed CTEK in Sweden a few years ago soon after purchase, asking what I should use for my EFB battery and they said to use the ordinary battery option, not the AGM one.

As an aside I charge through the cigarette lighter, having bought the necessary extra lead.  I tend to drive with stop/start off, just turning it on if I anticipate a longish wait at traffic lights etc. otherwise I'd feel guilty watching the journey average mpg dropping noticeably while stopped.  Stop/start does seem to make a difference to mpg, so glad I've got as a switcheable facility, my first car with stop/start.

Interesting regarding Ctek's advice - My Ring charger combines AGM / EFB on the same setting.   

14 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

Interesting regarding Ctek's advice - My Ring charger combines AGM / EFB on the same setting.   

From Ctek brochure:

'The MXS 3.8 is a fully automatic ‘connect and forget’ 12V charger with 7 charging steps and offers selectable 0.8A, and 3.8A programs. The ‘Snowflake’ mode operates on the 3.8A program. It offers a wide charging range on all lead-acid battery types from 1.2Ah up to 80Ah.................'

Edited by fabill

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have a Skoda Karoq 2019 and it has sign recon and HBA. Can anyone help me with the steps to activate the lane assit(coding with vcds)?

I did some steps that I found on yt for skoda superb but it doesn't seem to work for my karoq. I can see the option on dashboard and multimedia but I get an error when I try to activate.

Thank you!