Best tires for grip on octavia VRS MK3

Neil26111

Hi guys just got my first Skoda a 2016 octavia VRS 2.0 TSI (maybe not sure as it said TFSI but engine cover says TSI) and wondered what were the best tires to use for grip as mine are terrible in 1st 2nd and 3rd for spinning under hard acceleration. They are an unknown manufacture to me that’s on now. I have the extreme 19” alloys and manual gearbox.

thanks

I posted this on another tyre thread a couple of months ago;

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6. I've been using Eagle F1's since before they were asymmetric. I don't / won't buy anything else. Excellent grip, relatively quiet, wear well and work surprisingly well down to really cold temps (I've driven a BMW 330i in slushy snow on them with no problems). https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Goodyear/Eagle-F1-Asymmetric-6.htm

• Like 1

Lots to read about tyres and grip, et al, in the Tyres sub fora:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/213-tyres-wheels/

My personal preference is Michelin Pilot Sport, but I've had AV7's before and liked them too.

Gaz

• Thanks 1

Good tyres can be great, but sometimes even with the best you have to screw the nut.

You are only tanking your TDI up to 60 mph or so. 

If they spin under hard acceleration then they might well have you off the road into corners.

Winter is coming even in the south and the best summer or even wet weather tyres can be sh!te for some road conditions, temperatures and surfaces.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HappySam said:

I posted this on another tyre thread a couple of months ago;

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6. I've been using Eagle F1's since before they were asymmetric. I don't / won't buy anything else. Excellent grip, relatively quiet, wear well and work surprisingly well down to really cold temps (I've driven a BMW 330i in slushy snow on them with no problems). https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Goodyear/Eagle-F1-Asymmetric-6.htm

Same for me. Eagle 's are the best and also rather cheap 

• Like 1

@Neil26111 If you are spinning the wheels at mid autumn temperatures then it will get worse as temperatures fall towards winter.

Quite simply some summer tyres grip in wet falls off below about +10c to +13c (exact amount varies by tyre brand and type). Down to around +6c and some can be quite poor in wet. If it's cold enough for salted roads (which become damp) then some summer budget tyres are close to hopeless 

If you want to drive your car in a very spirited way, then need to use high performance winter tyres from about mid October to end March even in UK.   It's just not possible to have tyres with very high grip from about -10c to +35c (there is trade off between grippy and too soft and sticky, rubber is hard when cold, oozy when hot, so have to be comprise in ideal temperature range).  

If you are more of a general driver (and don't care about saving tenth of second on a lap), just want good tyres all year then consider premium all season tyres.

If you want a recommendation for performance winter tyres, can I suggest Goodyear Ultragrip performance 3, or Michelin pilot Alpin 6 or Pirelli P zero winter, or Continental TS870 Price and availability in size required might limit your choice.

On 26/10/2023 at 01:03, Neil26111 said:

Hi guys just got my first Skoda a 2016 octavia VRS 2.0 TSI (maybe not sure as it said TFSI but engine cover says TSI) and wondered what were the best tires to use for grip as mine are terrible in 1st 2nd and 3rd for spinning under hard acceleration. They are an unknown manufacture to me that’s on now. I have the extreme 19” alloys and manual gearbox.

thanks

Have a look here.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/

My vrs tsi does the same this time of year ,wet greasy roads ,so rather than change the tyres change your driving style ,stop hard accelerating in 1st and 2nd ,its usually not that hard to figure where the car will break traction if you mash the pedal ,better to arrive with your car still straight rather than bent 👍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mickvrs220 said:

My vrs tsi does the same this time of year ,wet greasy roads ,so rather than change the tyres change your driving style ,stop hard accelerating in 1st and 2nd ,its usually not that hard to figure where the car will break traction if you mash the pedal ,better to arrive with your car still straight rather than bent 👍

Used to have same problem, then discovered winter tyres, and regardless of muddy field run off, greasy salted roads, cold rain, frost, sleet etc. regardless if it is +15c or -5c grip they like a dry summer road.  Never been able to spin the wheels in cold rain since.  
And as a bonus on the rare days we have had snow never been stranded, and we have some steep hills in South Cotswolds, and snowploughs round here are sparse, even some B roads won't see one for days after snowfall.

16 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

Used to have same problem, then discovered winter tyres, and regardless of muddy field run off, greasy salted roads, cold rain, frost, sleet etc. regardless if it is +15c or -5c grip they like a dry summer road.  Never been able to spin the wheels in cold rain since.  
And as a bonus on the rare days we have had snow never been stranded, and we have some steep hills in South Cotswolds, and snowploughs round here are sparse, even some B roads won't see one for days after snowfall.

Thats mebbe because your driving to the road conditions which allows your tyres to keep traction ,minus 5 with frost on the road plant your foot in a vrs in 1st and 2nd and it will break traction ,never had winter tyres myself always had just tyres and never had issues ,i just alter my driving style 👍

• Like 1