Octavia iV Granny charging - How to get full charge

25 minutes ago, Rooted said:

@mccririckIt is 65 pence a kWh on a fast charger. and a Rapid is 85 pence.       Tesco is just 44 pence for the 7 kW, still too expensive IMO.   

Sheriff Brae, CPS is 50 pence a kWh on 7 kW chargers.  All just crazy prices. 

What is wrong with plugging into the 3 pin at home if you can at 27 pence and getting about 2 kW an hour in?

I need to get an external socket wired up. I actually have an external socket that was installed by my ex's father years ago but an electrician checked the wiring and said it was dangerous.

I've tried an extension cord but it didn't seem to work with that.

Btw it's 25p

IMG_20231104_182159.jpg

Edited by mccririck
  • Like 1

I am on an extension cable and it works fine with 3 pin charger. It’s a single 6m extension lead (not on a reel)

i have sockets in the garage and just run the cable to the car under the door with the plug just inside the door where it’s dry

Edited by PoloGaz
  • Like 1

@mccririckAre you just trying out the charger @ Aldi to see how it goes.

Be aware of stupid car parking with 2 hour max parking and CCTV / ANPR and fines that do not exclude those charging. 

There were comments and pictures in the past on ALDI and the PARKING COMPANY antics.    Maybe not there.

Screenshot 2023-11-05 07.15.34.png

Screenshot 2023-11-05 07.16.51.png

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rooted said:

@mccririckAre you just trying out the charger @ Aldi to see how it goes.

Be aware of stupid car parking with 2 hour max parking and CCTV / ANPR and fines that do not exclude those charging. 

There were comments and pictures in the past on ALDI and the PARKING COMPANY antics.    Maybe not there.

Yeah just want to try it out. I'll probably stay an hour.

Home charger seems to be working:

IMG_20231104_184413.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SkOmk4 said:

Even with the "Maximum" setting I've never seen the car taking more than 3 kW per hour (average over the charging time) from the charging station

Right, 3.6 is a peak power it can take. But even small battery has some charging curve, so last quarter or so is charged with less power than when the battery is empty. My charger shows me consumption per hour and I always see that first hour car takes exactly 3.6 and next two hours a bit less.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rooted said:

@mccririckIt is 65 pence a kWh on a fast charger. and a Rapid is 85 pence.       Tesco is just 44 pence for the 7 kW, still too expensive IMO.   

Sheriff Brae, CPS is 50 pence a kWh on 7 kW chargers.  All just crazy prices. 

What is wrong with plugging into the 3 pin at home if you can at 27 pence and getting about 2 kW an hour in?

Or get on Octopus Intelligent. They set the times and it’s never more than 7.5p. I think it needs a wall charger not a 3 pin though. Bargain

46 minutes ago, Markeknows said:

Or get on Octopus Intelligent. They set the times and it’s never more than 7.5p. I think it needs a wall charger not a 3 pin though. Bargain

How much does it cost to get a wall charger fitted?

It’s about a grand to get one fitted which is why I’m reluctant to do it with a phev. I can do all the home charging I need with a normal socket. My wife is looking at a full EV in the new year (id3 or cupra born) She can get a wall box with her lease scheme through work for £15 a month over 3 years. So I’ll let her pay for it and use it if I need to 😊

• Like 1

@mccririck how did your charging go down at Leith, and are you sorted for using the charger at work?    Yesterday from Ingilston where the Rapid chargers were all down to Cameron toll I got 4 miles to the kWh in my EV.   Afternoon and good traffic flow.  This morning I got on the Rapid at Straiton and charged to 98% then the 3 miles down to the Triumph Bike Showroom it showed I was getting 6 miles to kWh and I arrived with 100% battery.     Up the hill to Penicuik later on will no doubt have me back to my usual 3.5 miles than the good regenning coming back down.      Tonight I will see how efficient I can drive saving energy and regenning to get from IKEA to the bridge and see if I can get north and home and not needing to charge. The Mini is only good for around 100 miles if I am nipping on and not hypermiling.  

Edited by Rooted

@RootedI didn't manage to charge at Leith as I discovered my Shell card is fuel only. No idea why as work only issued us with them a couple of months ago knowing we were getting hybrids. I need to have a word with my manager about that.

Aren't the chargers at Straiton 85p per kWh or something?

On 04/11/2023 at 15:12, PoloGaz said:

3.6kW is the max with a type 2 charger cable. So If you have a home wall box charger or use the charging network, this is what you’ll be able to charge at. Should take about 3 or 4 hours to do a charge

Nonsense. Mennekes type 2 cables are used on fast chargers. Our limitation is the onboard charger electronics

• Like 1

On 03/11/2023 at 21:40, Markeknows said:

Slightly non PC nickname for slow 3 pin plug wall socket charger

I use 'Granny charging' at home as I have not yet invested in a home charging point.  I want to get Christmas over with then will invest in one.  A 3 pin plug will change an EV but very slowly, thats why a charge point is quicker but not much as the Skodas and many others charge at a silly low rate for some reason, maybe its to keep the batteries in 'tiptop' condition.  Constant rapid charging do not do rechargeable batteries any good, a slower charge is always better.

Hope this helps.   Oh, anf I can charge to 100% when full.

• Like 1

Just now, mccririck said:

Is it normal for the wall plug in the house to feel quite warm when you've been granny charging for a few hours?

Yes, mine gets warm too. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm trying to calculate running costs of the iV, easy to work out the cost for petrol against the mileage and although I know how much I pay per KW for electricity, I can't work out how many KW I'm consuming per charge when at home, I have used the chargers at work on 3 occasions, 2 occasions were from 0 to 100% and the charging app indicated 11.5 KW, the other was 0 to 90% using 10.742 KW (90% of 11.5 is 10.35, so there may be a degree of inaccuracy in this!).

Based on the two 100% charges that indicates that the battery only takes in 11.5 KW, not the full 13 KW, is this consistent with anyone else's experience?  If this is the case, my current calculations against a full charge of 13 KW is probably making it seem more expensive (slightly) to charge than it possibly is?

3 hours ago, AndyRat said:

the battery only takes in 11.5 KW, not the full 13 KW

That's absolutely normal, since you as a user don't have access to all 13 kWh of the battery - have a look at the details in the link:

https://www.auto-data.net/en/compare?carId1=38016&carId2=38026&carId3=

As far as I knew, the usable capacity of the battery in EV mode is closer to 10,5 kWh - that's what you can see on your dashboard between 0 and 100%. The rest of the capacity is hybrid-system reserved and it will not allow you to use the car in EV mode.

3 hours ago, AndyRat said:

the battery only takes in 11.5 KW

Now the 11.5 kWh that you see on the charging App to get from 0% to 100%, doesn't mean that your battery has 11.5 kWh capacity. The capacity is smaller (10 or 10.4 - not sure), but the charging process has an efficiency which is not 100%, therefore, you are using 11.5 kWh from the charging station to store into the battery about 10.5 kWh - which means that about 10% are losses. That's not a fault, but this is how physics work... you might notice that at extreme temperatures (too cold or too hot) the energy losses might increase.

• Thanks 1

To add to what was said above, car is not perfect in measuring state of charge of its battery either. It may show 100% while battery is not completely full, or 0% when there is still some charge. Often on cold days you could see how it shows one %, but you start driving and it may add another 4-7% to what it showing just a few seconds before. Not even talking that VC, infotainment screen and an app often show different SOC, though the difference is usually within 1%.

Anyway, for 0-100% my charger typically shows 10.5 to 11 consumed. I'd say 10% loss is a bit too much for a PHEV and its charging power, but there is some loss definitely.

• Thanks 1

Yeah i second the above. I factor a 10kwhr charge to actually cost 11. 

my charger has an app, and 11.5 is probably the most it’s ever taken. That may also include a bit of cabin pre heating if i set it to come on for 15 mins on a cold day. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, AndyRat said:

I'm trying to calculate running costs of the iV, easy to work out the cost for petrol against the mileage and although I know how much I pay per KW for electricity, I can't work out how many KW I'm consuming per charge when at home, I have used the chargers at work on 3 occasions, 2 occasions were from 0 to 100% and the charging app indicated 11.5 KW, the other was 0 to 90% using 10.742 KW (90% of 11.5 is 10.35, so there may be a degree of inaccuracy in this!).

Based on the two 100% charges that indicates that the battery only takes in 11.5 KW, not the full 13 KW, is this consistent with anyone else's experience?  If this is the case, my current calculations against a full charge of 13 KW is probably making it seem more expensive (slightly) to charge than it possibly is?

It probably never discharges fully as that wouldn't be good for the cells.

Edited by mccririck

You have about 11.7 kWh usable battery.

I plugged in my BEV about 30 minutes ago, It has a 32.6 kWh battery and 28.9 kWh usable.   Plugged it into the 3 pin when at 66%. 

To get to 100% by 6.00 pm it is 34% needed, but that will not just be about 10 kWh it takes it will likely be 13 kWh because of losses.

DSC_0555.JPG

DSC_0553.JPG

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1