Strange pattern on inside of headlight lens MK1 vrs

Hi folks

I have been flashed a couple of times this evening which is weird.

I have noticed that when the lights are on I have a strange dot / honeycomb pattern on the lens (presumably inside as they are smooth on the outside).  Also when I pulled up to a flat garage I could see light flares / crosses (bad light pattern)

When I bought the car there was evidence of black dotted laminate on the headlights and that left glue  spots on the exterior of the lens which I removed along with the oxidisation.

Could the external stickers have affected the inside of the lenses due to heat spots or has anyone had a similar experience with their lights please?

I have added some photos

Many thanks.

IMG_20231105_185700.jpg

IMG_20231105_185227.jpg

IMG_20231105_185221.jpg

Looking at the photos the glue spots remain visible, perhaps the glue or the solvent used to remove them has etched the plastic, I think that is what is causing the diffraction and think you should have the lenses polished without jumping any of the steps through the various grades of production paper and compounds.

Even WD40 applied vigorously might shift the dots. I'm unsure if that's the extent of it though. Almost like there's a large sidelight bulb (dim dip) that's reflecting the headlight beam upwards. Or maybe an LED dim-dip that also reflecting and putting out many more lumens than a bog standard bulb.

• Like 1

@vindaloo

Wow, I think you are correct the sidelight is the one producing the light arcs, and it looks different to a standard t10 w5w bulbs.

I was so focused on the h7 dipped beam bulb I neglected to look any further at the sidelight bulb

When it stops raining I'll have a gander, could be an led as you say, it protudes far further than perhaps it should.

I'll update later or tomorrow.

Thanks very much

• Like 1

Well I have removed the sidelights and they were indeed led units, Phillips Ultinon labelled.

Replaced them with standard halogen units and the major issues have been resolved.

I wet sanded & polished the worst headlight earlier but it looks like the dots are inside the lens as nothing changed.

Here is an after picture with the standard bulbs in.

I am happy with the light output and the beam pattern, but what do you folks think?

Thank you all for your amazing help too.

IMG_20231106_203339.jpg

• Like 2

I may be able to source you some halogen headlight units if the breakers yard near me still has two Fabias in, may need polishing, but otherwise all good last time I checked. Would be worth trying to sort yours out first.

Pretty sure I had Philips Ultinon led sidelight bulbs in my MkI Fabia and had no issues with them.

Got them in my Rapid as well and they've never caused me any problems. 

I'd follow @J.R.'s advice and get them polished. 

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, DukeofEarl75 said:

Well I have removed the sidelights and they were indeed led units, Phillips Ultinon labelled.

Replaced them with standard halogen units and the major issues have been resolved.

Tungsten.

• Like 1