Lane assist - does anyone actually like it?

On 12/11/2023 at 11:15, mccririck said:

You should always what?

Signal.

I have Lane assist and have programmed it to remember the last state it was in.

So it stays off until I turn it off.

Saw a kid from the same senior school get hit by a car back in the 70's when front bumpers were hard chrome covered metal.

It was on a four lane road, two lanes from his right and two lanes from his left.

There was only one car coming from his right and they didn't signal when they changed lanes from lane two to lane one.

He wasn't very visible as he was standing behind some pavement furniture.  

So the kid assumed the car was staying in lane, and the driver assumed no one was about so didn't signal.

So both were in error but you can guess the rest.

So I just always signal.

Thanks AG Falco

• Like 2

I can’t stand the lane assist function, and switch it off every time. Plenty of situations where it interferes with driving in a negative way when driving perfectly legally, like pulling across the road to avoid parked cars. 

what really irritates me is that there is no feature to remember your preference ie keep it switched off. There’s no legal reason why. I had a bmw g21 before this, and they updated the software to remember the settings after many drivers complained about silly nanny software.

We should complain more to skoda, perhaps they will relent and stop treating us like children. 

• Like 1

Some here who switch it off must know when theirs operates. 

When they have not put it off obviously.   Then for passing cyclists they will be observing the 1.5 meter distance rule. 

Which is often not possible, well unless you follow the bike until the other carriageway is clear.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 22.30.12.png

I like it, makes me drive better because it reminds me to signal when i forget.

I've had a couple of scares with it though, it read the markings wrong for some reason, in Portugal we have curved arrows in the center markings on some roads and it probably read them as a turn because they're curved and it tried to pull away from the road.

like the ones in the following picture.

image.png.6def1a689b81cf83de247cd29af66ad3.png

2 hours ago, Jack_Dangerous said:

I've had a couple of scares with it though, it read the markings wrong for some reason, in Portugal we have curved arrows in the center markings on some roads and it probably read them as a turn because they're curved and it tried to pull away from the road.

All the more reason why you should not let an ignorant software engineer in Czechoslovakia drive your car for you.

• Like 1
  • Groan 2

3 minutes ago, avi4tor said:

All the more reason why you should not let an ignorant software engineer in Czechoslovakia drive your car for you.

I'm pretty sure the software was developed more recently than 30 years ago...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Kevzoid said:

what really irritates me is that there is no feature to remember your preference ie keep it switched off.

It can be done.

I have done this on one of my cars.

You do need to right software / app.

Don't complain to Skoda though:-

''Lane departure warning systems (LDWS) are another type of lane assist technology that simply alerts the driver if they're veering out of their lane. Alongside speed limiters, more basic forms of lane-keep assist are expected to be made mandatory on all new cars in 2022.29 Mar 2022  ''

Thanks. AG Falco

1 hour ago, AGFalco said:

It can be done.

I have done this on one of my cars.

You do need to right software / app.

Don't complain to Skoda though:-

''Lane departure warning systems (LDWS) are another type of lane assist technology that simply alerts the driver if they're veering out of their lane. Alongside speed limiters, more basic forms of lane-keep assist are expected to be made mandatory on all new cars in 2022.29 Mar 2022  ''

Thanks. AG Falco

Can’t be done in the car system afaik. I'm not voiding warranty with software hacks. As for legislation, it doesn’t exist at the moment, not in the UK anyway. If BMW in Munich can respond to customer complaints and remove the nanny software, surely VAG can in Berlin?

It does not exist because the EU legislation which the non EU UK will accept will be on NEW Type Approved vehicles.

All the stuff up to now was evolving and being R&D,d on the Paying Public, the issue is that VW Group took Software Inhouse and ballsed up.

There are systems with other manufacturers which work just fine.

13 hours ago, Jack_Dangerous said:

I like it, makes me drive better because it reminds me to signal when i forget.

like the ones in the following picture.

image.png.6def1a689b81cf83de247cd29af66ad3.png

I reckon in this scenario the Lane Assist could be reading the arrow as the lane narrowing so the centre line moves right. Something you’d want if indeed the lane did actually narrow down.

Knowing it is likely to happen means it can be anticipated and adjusted for.

23 minutes ago, SouthernComfort said:

Just a curiosity from this side of the planet, but what is the purpose of the arrows? Do they indicate an upcoming bend perhaps? I can see how they'd be picked up by lane assist though.

In the UK, they are used to warn that the central white line is changing from dashed to solid (continuous) - you’re not to cross a solid white line (eg no overtaking).

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, GaryS62 said:

No, I absolutely hate it and turn off on every journey. I am going to cover up the camera in front of the mirror with black sticky back plastic !

I like that idea.  I'll use black insulation tape.  Make sure you cut the tape into a neat circle, it will stop any corners getting caught by washing brushes.   I think I'll also look for some black paint with flecks of metal in it.  If I paint that over the front radar it should work like chaff and disrupt the front assist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, avi4tor said:

I think I'll also look for some black paint with flecks of metal in it.

Humbrol make a metallic black enamel, I think code number 201. It will be available in 15ml pots from most UK model shops, and possibly from blacksmiths and cycle shops.

Thank you for your reply and suggestions .What I meant was that I do not find LA as annoying as you obviously do .All Skoda drivers not the same .The safety features on my car will remain operative .

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GaryS62 said:

No, I absolutely hate it and turn off on every journey. I am going to cover up the camera in front of the mirror with black sticky back plastic !

Get someone with OBDeleven to turn on the memory function for you. Then you can forget about it and you'll still have Travel Assist available, if your car has it.

Edited by Jorgeminator