What improvements would you make to the infotainment system?

mccririck

I would really like a parametric equaliser rather than the three band graphic equaliser so that I can fine tune the sound to my liking. I find it quite V-shaped, there's a dip in the midrange. The bass is very clear and the upper midrange is prominent but you cant adjust it properly with what they give you.

2 hours ago, Novascape said:

Make it function like the old Mk3 info system with just the new improvements added I.e.

The way you could flick through albums on old mk3

Radio station logo adding

Good points. The MK4 seems quite messy. I haven't used a flash drive with it yet, just my phone. I liked the SD card slot in the mk3

I've been lucky with my 3/2023 mk4; apart from the occasional infotainment restarting & the occasional spurious error that goes away on re-starting (just like my previous 2 mk3's).

So would like a physical button to select the radio screen; a proper rotary switch for lights; voice activation that works & physical heater controls.

• Like 1

I'm from Australia, so the MIB3 system is functionally limited by the lack of Skoda Connect.

However, the main things I would change are:

• Radio Logos - the ability to upload radio logos from a USB. Plus I didn't grab any radio logos via DAB when I visited Melbourne the other day.
  • Traffic information via TMC - Because we don't have Skoda Connect, and Skoda removed TMC (despite it recognising TMC channels) we can't get traffic info via the navigation system.
  • Driver Profiles associated to the key - like how the Skoda Connect system works but associated with the key. So it recognises me and I can program a name and have individualised settings.
  • Software updates over WiFi - this seems to be technically functional, but I've never received an update notification and the update list remains blank. Having to rely on dealers for the latest software is painful. They'll usually fight you on it or lie and say they've done one.
  • Skoda Connect functionality via your Phone - basically the same functions e.g. SOS call, App Store, etc... but via your phone's LTE connection.
  • Skoda CarPlay app - basically an app that connects to the car that allows you to control the radio and certain functions within CarPlay. Like the MyPorsche App just announced or the Skoda SmartLink+ app.

While not directly infotainment related, I miss from my Kamiq being able to have the maps displayed in more then just one of the dashboard views. In particular, I liked the traditional tachometer view with the maps displayed in the middle.

5 hours ago, aaaaplay said:

While not directly infotainment related, I miss from my Kamiq being able to have the maps displayed in more then just one of the dashboard views. In particular, I liked the traditional tachometer view with the maps displayed in the middle.

That is now available on recent Octavia models in the UK. My 2020 build can’t do it but it was there on a 2023 loan car I had for a couple of days.

Personally I found that display too busy, but nice to have the option.

On 15/11/2023 at 18:44, SteveTheElder said:

That is now available on recent Octavia models in the UK. My 2020 build can’t do it but it was there on a 2023 loan car I had for a couple of days.

Personally I found that display too busy, but nice to have the option.

To clarify, do you mean that the maps can be display with the analogue style gauges like this:

spacer.png

My 2021 Octavia can already display them like this:
spacer.png

But my 2021 Kamiq could display both views. So to reiterate, you're saying the 2023 Octavia's have both views available?

3 hours ago, aaaaplay said:

To clarify, do you mean that the maps can be display with the analogue style gauges like this:

spacer.png

My 2021 Octavia can already display them like this:
spacer.png

But my 2021 Kamiq could display both views. So to reiterate, you're saying the 2023 Octavia's have both views available?

Yes, the loan 2023 Octavia I had could do both.

Mine has the latest s/ware so I think there is a hardware generational thing too. Mine won't even lock/unlock through the app, not can I send a route to it from the app. The joy of a First Edition model - do get electric/memory seat though.

16 minutes ago, Novascape said:

Only use I can see for the lock/unlock via app is in case you lock keys in car.

Know someone that had keys in jacket in boot and car allowed itself to be locked. Unfortunately he was 200 miles from home and his second key

Could also check on the app if you locked the car and if you didn't you can lock it.

• Like 1

On 17/11/2023 at 19:54, Novascape said:

Yep my octi can display them. Think they added it as a software update back in 2022

On 17/11/2023 at 19:56, mccririck said:

My 2023 Octavia 

IMG_20231117_085408.jpg

Well I checked the part number of my dashboard on VAG-Flashinfo and there are two newer software versions listed.

https://vag-flashinfo.de/site/index?partno=5E3920770A

According to OBDEleven I'm on version 3450. However, 3460 and 3470 appear to exist.

Looks like something I could get updated - although the dealer likely won't make it easy.

• Like 1

There is a couple of ergonomic craps to improve:

1. When I’m selecting radio from steering with right roller wheel I cannot pre-listening it. Instead of that, system only allows to select it and turns the menu off.

2. When you listening songs from Spotify/Tidal and title is too long system doesn’t wrap or move this title. It shows only three dots…

3. Volume bar in the middle is multitouch, and you can use it to change temperature but only when climate window is open - why not all the time. 
4. Why not to use multitouch for passenger temperature correction? 
5. Wheb you touch passenger temperature value and hold I expected to switch into SYNC mode but it didn’t - damn….

6. There should by definitely internal circulation button on climate bar allways available since they forgot to add it as a physical button under the screen…

7. Volume roller on steering wheel is laggy… I understand it is going not direct but from module to module but it is frustrating how slow it reacts

8. Next/Prev buttons do not scroll through song time - damn 

• Like 2

I was looking for a good music app to use with Android Auto and it turns out one of the best for accessing local music files on your phone is AIMP. And it has a 29 band graphic equaliser so you can adjust the sound far more accurately than with the 3-band equaliser in the Skoda:

Screenshot_2023-11-19-20-11-39-568_com.aimp.player.jpg

Edited by mccririck