Noise moving the steering - Official dealer estimated 3k€ repair

Adr85

Afternoon fellows,
    I had an issue in my MK3, the problema appears from one day to another.

The offical dealer told me it's neccesary to change all the steering column and this cost around 3k€ (pieces) + 600€ (work).

I hope someone could told me if have any clue about the issue or something to check.

Here is the link to the video&audio:

https://youtube.com/shorts/nU-TDXjdGVw?si=5j5fWUK7x-bYIDBx

https://youtube.com/shorts/qOnbm1uc2FY?si=LI2OFBhvxMoEz1FX

Kind regards and thank you so much!

• Crying 1

2 hours ago, numskull said:

Hmmmm…. Anyone else think that sounds like a noisy clock spring?

1 hour ago, MrRich said:

Clicking could be clock spring?

Rubbing noise sounds like back of the steering wheel rubbing on the column plastic covers?

Any idea, advice or guide about how can I test it?

At least to discart alternatives...

Thanks you fellows, thanks a lot!

That is the noise of the stealers rubbing their hands together! 🤣

Clockspring and/or wheel rubbing against shroud(s).

Cost to repair zero

Or €3600 😒

Nice work if you can get it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That is the noise of the stealers rubbing their hands together! 🤣

Clockspring and/or wheel rubbing against shroud(s).

Cost to repair zero

Or €3600 😒

Nice work if you can get it!

Thank you so much, I'll try to check if is the wheel rubbing (think I can verified if the sound coming from the clockspring or down in the wheel againts the shround).

Again, thank u!

• Like 1

Updated: The receptionist of the  official dealer told me, out of the records, that the mecanics says the sound is so typical when the rubber is broken or just worm out.

They give 3years warranty, thats the reason for change the entire piece instead just the "problem".

How dificult is change this rubber?

I'll go to other place to check it again ofc.

Thanks guys!!!!

8 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

@Adr85 I'd run a mile from this outfit! - at the very least, please get an opinion from a reputable mechanic.

Yes, thats exactly what I will do, go to other mechanic (plus they are Czech jeje)

• Like 1

No rubber to break between the rotating steering parts and the fixed parts to my knowledge, there is certainly no wearing parts aside from plastic bushings which would not make that noise.

I appreciate you are posting in another language and there may be an error in translation, service receptionists have their own special language of garbage that they make up on the spur of the moment, you cannot really give any credence to anything they say.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, J.R. said:

No rubber to break between the rotating steering parts and the fixed parts to my knowledge, there is certainly no wearing parts aside from plastic bushings which would not make that noise.

I appreciate you are posting in another language and there may be an error in translation, service receptionists have their own special language of garbage that they make up on the spur of the moment, you cannot really give any credence to anything they say.

Indeed english is not my language, so I have troubles explaining this tecnical issues jeje.

There is a rubber between the car cabin and the engine, in the steering column.

I hope this explaination makes more sense.

Edited by Adr85

11 hours ago, Adr85 said:

Indeed english is not my language, so I have troubles explaining this tecnical issues jeje.

There is a rubber between the car cabin and the engine, in the steering column.

I hope this explaination makes more sense.

Not on this setup there isn’t.

The steering rack is sealed to the car body and the actual column doesn’t leave the car. The shaft isn’t what is sealed, the rack to the car is.

I understand what you mean as it was an occasional problem on Mercedes and needed greasing, but the mqb platform doesn’t work like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ApertureS said:

Not on this setup there isn’t.

The steering rack is sealed to the car body and the actual column doesn’t leave the car. The shaft isn’t what is sealed, the rack to the car is.

I understand what you mean as it was an occasional problem on Mercedes and needed greasing, but the mqb platform doesn’t work like that.

Thanks for reply and the explanation, I really appreciate it.

So, based on the sound and the diagnosis of the first mechanic, it will be necessary replace the entire column as he said?

I would expect it to take no more than 10 minutes to remove the steering cowling parts and perhaps the steering wheel to find the cause, worst case scenario would be replacement of the clockspring but a DIY person could repair it.

Best case scenario slight realignment of the cowling halves on re-assembly.

51 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I would expect it to take no more than 10 minutes to remove the steering cowling parts and perhaps the steering wheel to find the cause, worst case scenario would be replacement of the clockspring but a DIY person could repair it.

So first of all, remove the steering cowling and check if something is wrong, rigth?

I'll try it to do it this weekend (if my child&woman allow me 😕)

Thanks a lot!!! 

I really appreciate the time you took to answer me 💗

15 minutes ago, Adr85 said:

So first of all, remove the steering cowling and check if something is wrong, rigth?

I'll try it to do it this weekend (if my child&woman allow me 😕)

Thanks a lot!!! 

I really appreciate the time you took to answer me 💗

Yes remove it, then turn the wheel and listen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

I very much doubt you’ll be able to diy repair a steering clockspring nowadays, way too many very fine traces in there.

worst case scenario could still be a rack or column though.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

I very much doubt you’ll be able to diy repair a steering clockspring nowadays, way too many very fine traces in there.

worst case scenario could still be a rack or column though.

At least dismounting the steering I could check if the problem is there. I'm right?

Edited by Adr85

Yes.

51 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

I've done two but struggle now with close work, soldering and welding since having the multi-focaux cataract surgery in my one functioning eye (they are designed for binocular vision), no garage is going to even think about repairing one and I only did them on a nothing to lose and unpaid basis.

That's a lot of money to me but I understand your point.

€150 is peanuts compared to €3600!

Greetings fellows,
    I'll try to remove the clock spring this weekend (if my wife and little baby let me ofc) and check if the problem is really that.

Any video to check it?

Regards!!