Fuel consumption of turbo

LuxoviaRS

I have to say as much as I love the Octavia RS one thing that I'm not entirely impressed with is the fuel consumption of the turbo engine. At the moment I'm still breaking in the engine and i am pretty light (feather light) on the gas paddle staying below 4000rpm,  actually hardly even reaching 3. Currently from the start it has an average fuel consumption of 11.0L/100 kms with a mixture of city driving,  (some heavy traffic) and light highway (though not fully open road yet). Do others find there turbos are thirsty (i have read that this is common with turbos). I'm hoping that with proper highway driving like a long country trip it will show a true reflection of city and country economy, but I'm the city, stop start it's quiet thirsty. I hope this improves for me. 

• Confused 1

Is this figure from the cars info or you actually filling up the tank and maybe driving 100 km or 200 kw and seeing how much fuel is needed to top up again.

Is this a vRS with an DSG (autobox) you are driving?

How quick would it be going if you were to be taking it to above 4,000 rpm in each gear?

The Turbo is not making it thirst.

Non Turbo of the same engine capacity and power will very much likely be a heavier drinker used the same way as you are using your new car. 

You never bought a city car but if you had it would likely use the same fuel as you are using now.

Ok so just for the o/s people that are not from Australia. Here down under we measure fuel consumption based on how many L which is a volume of fuel is used per every 100km which is the amount driven. So the lower the volume measured in L (litres) of  amount of fuel used per the distance travelled in km the more economical the vehicle is. I hope that helps a little. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Really, i would never have known that.

Well actually i did.

People in Europe buy fuel in litres and work it out that way.  They drive kilometers.

The UK is in Europe, and buy in litres and the car shows in MPG.  They drive Miles / km.

That does not mean that everyone in the UK is as daft as a brush.

So are you buying that much fuel?

?

What octane petrol are you buying? 

Edited by Rooted

8 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Is this figure from the cars info or you actually filling up the tank and maybe driving 100 km or 200 kw and seeing how much fuel is needed to top up again.

Is this a vRS with an DSG (autobox) you are driving?

How quick would it be going if you were to be taking it to above 4,000 rpm in each gear?

The Turbo is not making it thirst.

Non Turbo of the same engine capacity and power will very much likely be a heavier drinker used the same way as you are using your new car. 

You never bought a city car but if you had it would likely use the same fuel as you are using now.

It's mainly from the cars into and filling it up twice and seeing how many kms I've travelled for 2 tanks of fuel. Yes it's a vrs with dsg 7 speed. I haven't tried that yet I'm not sure,  but it will reach the local speed limits pretty quickly I think, and probably pass it.  Once I've done the break in I'll try that as well. We had a 4 cylinder before and driving it normally sometimes light it was very economical. Maybe you are correct I don't know I tend to have very quick gear changes to get to the speed limit.  

Yes I live in a very busy city lol I would know heavy traffic, but thanks anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Really, i would never have known that.

Well actually i did.

People in Europe buy fuel in litres and work it out that way.   The UK is in Europe, and buy in litres and the car shows in MPG. 

That does not mean that everyone in the UK is as daft as a brush.

So are you buying that much fuel?

?

What octane petrol are you buying? 

I guess I was more thinking of those in the US where they use Miles per galon. Yes I'm aware those in Great Britain buy fuel in litres, and use miles. I never said anyone was daft. Was just explaining how we read things here.  All good.  I put the manufacturer recommended RON 95.

1 minute ago, Rooted said:

So what is the weather / temperature just now,

and how far do you go from cold starts and are you allowing Stop / Start to do it,s thing?

?

What octane fuel are you buying?

Well it's night now about 21c but during the day it was about 28 C when I bought the fuel.  I turn off the stop start generally have been advised by a mechanic that it eventually can wear out the engine and do the starter motor in.  95.

• Thanks 1

There's a dozen comparable cars here that suggest yours may have a problem if that 11L/100km turns out to be a true average: Gasoline consumption: Skoda - Octavia - Spritmonitor.de

Bear in mind that people who choose to put their consumption data on sites like that are more likely to be 'hypermiler' types than dragstrip heroes though.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

There's a dozen comparable cars here that suggest yours may have a problem if that 11L/100km turns out to be a true average: Gasoline consumption: Skoda - Octavia - Spritmonitor.de

Bear in mind that people who choose to put their consumption data on sites like that are more likely to be 'hypermiler' types than dragstrip heroes though.

The car is fairly new though.  I'm hoping once everything settles it will improve. I've never heard of that term before interesting. Yes of  course makes sense.  I'll check out the link,  thanks. 

Congrats on your new car @LuxoviaRS .

UK fuel prices tend to be about double ours so I think even self-proclaimed revheads tend to ration their enthusiasm more there than they let on.

Nonetheless your 11l/100 (Imperial 25.7mpg) is probably at the worse end of claims submitted for your type of car and driving environment.

Probably a good idea turning off stop/start during the running in period (1500km ?) but I think your mechanic is being a bit alarmist about the possible long-term harm to the engine. The starter motor and engine are designed to handle it and the only possible casualty is the battery may last less than 5 years. Depends on how long you intend to keep the car really and then you have to weigh up the cost of relatively early replacement of an expensive AGM battery against the cost of fuel saved.

Some people just don't like s/s and turn it off at every opportunity anyway but personally I'd give it a go and see what difference it makes and you will be making your own informed decision.

Revs in low gears while fun also use a LOT of fuel. Sad but true.

In hot Australian conditions in busy town conditions your car is going to use a lot of fuel, the air-conditioner going full blast, the engine cooling  fan too. 

My 1.4tsi idling in temperate conditions displays 0.5l/hour consumption, on very hot days in traffic that can go up to 1.5L/hour. It would be interesting to know what your 2.0tsi displays at idle.

On a highway run at 110kph you will probably get about 6.5 to 7l/100, probably worse punting along on the an enjoyable country twisting section of road :) 

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 3

11L/100km equates to 25mpg UK.

The only times I've got fuel consumption that bad in a car was in either a 4.2L V8 RS4 or a 1.8T S3 that had been hugely over-boosted (never in an Octavia not even when in London traffic), so if that's a genuine figure then given your temperatures in the low to mid 20's Celsius it doesn't look right. Either you have a heavy right foot or maybe something like a binding brake or other mechanical problem.

For heavy start stop city traffic, I don't quite get 11L/100km but often get over 10L/100km when cold.

Driving like a saint I've seen 6.3L/100km on main roads. I've often gotten 6.5L/100km on a long motorway journey. My current average is somewhere around 7.2L/100km.

5 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Congrats on your new car @LuxoviaRS .

UK fuel prices tend to be about double ours so I think even self-proclaimed revheads tend to ration their enthusiasm more there than they let on.

Nonetheless your 11l/100 (Imperial 25.7mpg) is probably at the worse end of claims submitted for your type of car and driving environment.

Probably a good idea turning off stop/start during the running in period (1500km ?) but I think your mechanic is being a bit alarmist about the possible long-term harm to the engine. The starter motor and engine are designed to handle it and the only possible casualty is the battery may last less than 5 years. Depends on how long you intend to keep the car really and then you have to weigh up the cost of relatively early replacement of an expensive AGM battery against the cost of fuel saved.

Some people just don't like s/s and turn it off at every opportunity anyway but personally I'd give it a go and see what difference it makes and you will be making your own informed decision.

Revs in low gears while fun also use a LOT of fuel. Sad but true.

In hot Australian conditions in busy town conditions your car is going to use a lot of fuel, the air-conditioner going full blast, the engine cooling  fan too. 

My 1.4tsi idling in temperate conditions displays 0.5l/hour consumption, on very hot days in traffic that can go up to 1.5L/hour. It would be interesting to know what your 2.0tsi displays at idle.

On a highway run at 110kph you will probably get about 6.5 to 7l/100, probably worse punting along on the an enjoyable country twisting section of road :) 

Thanks heaps @Gerrycan.  Yes it looks like mine is at hogher end,  I'm surprised others are getting such good mileage but I'm equally pleased that means mine can be improved. It's not just him re the stop/ start I've also read it elsewhere but I'll give it a go for a few tank full off drives to see if it makes, any difference.  Like I said above I have been feather light on the gas paddle I have hardly went above 50kwh maybe just one or two times, so the revs at low gears has got nothing to do with me whatsoever that's why I'm surprised. 

Yes that's true in my environment it will and with the air-con on too but to be honest the air-con has not been on all the times we have driven it.  Most times we have the windows open and sunroof though of course if it's really hot yes we have it going. I am using the measurements in the infotainment system the 11.0L/100km is from when I started driving the car which is an average,  it also has since refuling and this trip. Where can I see the display though for the real time usage is that in the cockpit. 

Yes absolutely once we take it on the highway we will get those numbers for sure.  Yes that too. Thanks Anson for your knowledge and advice I'll take it on board. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LuxoviaRS said:

I have to say as much as I love the Octavia RS one thing that I'm not entirely impressed with is the fuel consumption of the turbo engine. At the moment I'm still breaking in the engine and i am pretty light (feather light) on the gas paddle staying below 4000rpm,  actually hardly even reaching 3. Currently from the start it has an average fuel consumption of 11.0L/100 kms with a mixture of city driving,  (some heavy traffic) and light highway (though not fully open road yet). Do others find there turbos are thirsty (i have read that this is common with turbos). I'm hoping that with proper highway driving like a long country trip it will show a true reflection of city and country economy, but I'm the city, stop start it's quiet thirsty. I hope this improves for me. 

I don't have a vRS, but I do have a petrol 2.0TSI, and when I am "feather light" on the throttle, my car changes gear somewhere around the 1500rpm mark, going up to 2000rpm if I'm going uphill.

Are you driving around in VRS (or Sport) mode all the time?

That said, 25-26mpg if it's around town in a vRS doesn't seem THAT bad, going from what some people say their vRS does.

4 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

11L/100km equates to 25mpg UK.

The only times I've got fuel consumption that bad in a car was in either a 4.2L V8 RS4 or a 1.8T S3 that had been hugely over-boosted (never in an Octavia not even when in London traffic), so if that's a genuine figure then given your temperatures in the low to mid 20's Celsius it doesn't look right. Either you have a heavy right foot or maybe something like a binding brake or other mechanical problem 

I am talking about the average since I've started driving it 2 weeks ago. No I'm very light lol hardly even moderate heavy.  Maybe there is something wrong I don't know anything about binding break, I'll have to look that up.  Anyway I'll leave the stop/ start on to see if it  makes a difference. 

1 minute ago, LuxoviaRS said:

I am talking about the average since I've started driving it 2 weeks ago. No I'm very light lol hardly even moderate heavy.  Maybe there is something wrong I don't know anything about binding break, I'll have to look that up.  Anyway I'll leave the stop/ start on to see if it  makes a difference. 

Personally, I'd leave that switched off while you're running the car in.

Then when it's run in, leave it off until you sell the car. 😋

Just now, EnterName said:

I don't have a vRS, but I do have a petrol 2.0TSI, and when I am "feather light" on the throttle, my car changes gear somewhere around the 1500rpm mark, going up to 2000rpm if I'm going uphill.

Are you driving around in VRS (or Sport) mode all the time?

That said, 25-26mpg if it's around town in a vRS doesn't seem THAT bad, going from what some people say their vRS does.

Yes exactly the same revs . Most times I have it in comfort mode sometimes normal and one time in economy and the reason I didn't have in economy more was for the very reason that you can't disable the stop/start feature. Yes around town mostly. Ok thanks. 

4 minutes ago, LuxoviaRS said:

Yes exactly the same revs . Most times I have it in comfort mode sometimes normal and one time in economy and the reason I didn't have in economy more was for the very reason that you can't disable the stop/start feature. Yes around town mostly. Ok thanks. 

It'll be interesting to see how it settles down when it's run in.

You might do well to have a cheeky oil change after the running in period to clear out any particles knocking about as a result of running in.

But some might see that as a bit overkill.

Mine is the 1.4tsi 8sp auto with only 3,000km up so far. I also drive sedately now my boy-racer days are behind me. However, a long highway run at 100kph will return av. 5l/100, city 7l/100 if all on fairly level terrain. Accelerate up a steep hill and get maybe 12l/100. So terrain is very instrumental to consumption. I live in a very hilly area which pulls up to twice as much fuel as when I drive in a flat area. I leave s/s on, but 'feather' the brake pedal to keep it running at red lights if they're about to change. The 2.0 engine will drink a little more, for your model Skoda claims 9.3l/100 urban, 5.4l/100 highway, 6.8l/100 combined. We all know that claimed figures should be taken with a grain of salt, nevertheless all the factors influencing consumption in real life will be the same. If mostly urban driving, maybe with a few regular hills, it wouldn't surprise me that your av. would show around 11l/100. 

2 hours ago, EnterName said:

It'll be interesting to see how it settles down when it's run in.

You might do well to have a cheeky oil change after the running in period to clear out any particles knocking about as a result of running in.

But some might see that as a bit overkill.

Yes I agree I will be.  I have been thinking of doing a cheeky oil change for that reason too. Will have to see. I know Skoda are going to book me in at about the 3000 km to check the fluid levels. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SouthernComfort said:

Mine is the 1.4tsi 8sp auto with only 3,000km up so far. I also drive sedately now my boy-racer days are behind me. However, a long highway run at 100kph will return av. 5l/100, city 7l/100 if all on fairly level terrain. Accelerate up a steep hill and get maybe 12l/100. So terrain is very instrumental to consumption. I live in a very hilly area which pulls up to twice as much fuel as when I drive in a flat area. I leave s/s on, but 'feather' the brake pedal to keep it running at red lights if they're about to change. The 2.0 engine will drink a little more, for your model Skoda claims 9.3l/100 urban, 5.4l/100 highway, 6.8l/100 combined. We all know that claimed figures should be taken with a grain of salt, nevertheless all the factors influencing consumption in real life will be the same. If mostly urban driving, maybe with a few regular hills, it wouldn't surprise me that your av. would show around 11l/100. 

Hi thanks for your input yes you are right with the driving conditions. Yes that's what i thought re the figures for the 2.0L. I guess we will have to wait and see fuether because that's not what it is currently. I'll leave the S/s on to see if it helps

I'm in Melb too. Drive stop start+ a few highway trips a tank. I avg around 8.5L/100km's.  Mines done around 17k km's.  Turn on the instant l/100 setting on your driver screen. When im at cruising speed of 60 - 100, on flat ground, i use between 4- 6 l/100km's. Closer to 9 for stop start. I have the vrs too. 22my

Edited by kreeker
Edit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kreeker said:

I'm in Melb too. Drive stop start+ a few highway trips a tank. I avg around 8.5L/100km's.  Mines done around 17k km's.  Turn on the instant l/100 setting on your driver screen. When im at cruising speed of 60 - 100, on flat ground, i use between 4- 6 l/100km's. Closer to 9 for stop start. I have the vrs too. 22my

Not Melbourne the other big city 😀. Wow you get good consumption. How do I turn that one on.  Driver screen ok will need to look into it. Thank you

5 hours ago, kreeker said:

Turn on the instant l/100 setting on your driver screen.

Hi @kreeker can I confirm is this information here in this link how I turn on the l/100km

https://digital-manual.skoda-auto.com/w/en_GB/show/93359937516bbdab66081fb5647ff98b_6_en_GB?ct=93359937516bbdab66081fb5647ff98b_6_en_GB