Car failed its MOT.

Jocko

Despite having only done 1200 miles since its last test my car failed its MOT today with a broken rear spring. The bottom end was nipped off. It needed two new front springs a year ago so that will be the whole set replaced.

The front tyres are showing signs of perishing so despite having about 6 mm of tread left I am replacing them as well. The car has done so few miles (70,400) but the tyres are probably years old.

I had a Jimny break a spring while sitting more than a year since the last MOT and discovered it when going out to try and see what the noise was and found the bit of the spring that it had thrown out quite a distance.  They were very long springs and under not looking that good after a few years of use and no use.

@Jockoi take it that even though the MOT was 1,200 miles ago it was 11-12 months ago. 

• Like 1

Not sure what it is with these Fabias/vw cars they seem to have really week springs as I had snapped a drivers side this time last year I need to replace the passenger side at some point but I’ll wait till it snaps spoke to a mk1 owner last weekend had the same issue with his car as well seems to be a theme with VW cars had a neighbour the other day replace passenger side spring 3 weeks ago on his T5.

The MOT tester said it was becoming increasingly common for broken springs, on all marques, due to potholes and speed bumps. Something he seldom saw when he first joined the garage trade.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2023 at 22:02, sepulchrave said:

The OE springs are excessively tempered making them fragile, also potholes.

Not sure if that is the case but were it to be so it would be through being insufficiently tempered, rather like myself 😀

Car was repaired today by my local garage. Part, fitting and VAT total was £70. I am delighted. According to the invoice it took them 21 minutes!