"Service now ! " message on dash.

red2

I have a 2012 Yeti with 2.0 tdi engine and with 126 000 km on it. I acquired it about two years ago but have only recently started using it regularly. The dash is displaying the message "Service now ! " The last documented oil change was at 100 000 km and in mid-2019. 

Does anyone know how I can get rid of the "Service now !" message. ( I won't be taking the car to a dealer or garage as I have always done my own work. )

I am about to do an engine oil ( and oil filter ) change in the next few days.

Will that somehow remove the dash message or do I have to do something else specifically ?

Thanks. 

I haven't reset anything.

But I just checked and it's not doing it now.

Goodness knows what the latest electric cars are like now regards complicated settings.  I saw a Youtube of a Landrover Vogue something or other that had been stolen and the palava required to get the keys back working was amazing.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3LaWY8H860

Edited by oldstan

Thanks everyone. That gives me several things I can try. I will do an engine oil and filter change in the next few days and report back as to whether I have been able to reset the service message from the driver's seat. 

Rooted - I think you are right about it being set for Variable servicing as I managed yesterday to speak with the previous owner ( from new ) and he said he always waited for the "Service now ! " message to tell him the service is due.  I looked back at the receipts of the garage that did the work hoping to see evidence that they used the correct "long life" oil ( VW  spec 507 00  I think ) and all I could see was a vague " 10W30 full synthetic " on the receipt. I hope they used the proper oil given that some of the oil change intervals were as much as 26 000 km ! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Even for Australia i think you should be using VW504 00 / 507 00 For Fixed or Variable intervals with 5w 30 FS III

On an 11 year old engine i would not use 0w 30 FS III, and no idea why anyone would use 10w 30 FS with a 2.0 TDI.

You are absolutely correct. The invoices did in fact say "5W30". My apologies. 

• Thanks 1

Just reporting back on my findings. A previous vehicle I owned had a "Service" reminder message pop up on the dash at a designated mileage and the only way to remove the message was by connecting to the car's ecu. Hence I imagined the same thing would be needed with the Yeti. But......I changed the oil yesterday and noticed after the first drive, the "Service Now ! " message has disappeared by itself !  I have no idea how the car monitors the service interval under "Variable/Flexible Servicing" but it almost seems like it can directly monitor the oil quality ! 

As I can't see how to edit my post above...

The "Service Now !"  message is back so it was  just a coincidence it disappeared shortly after the oil change. So it seems there is no oil quality sensor and in fact it makes sense that the Variable Servicing interval is monitored by just an algorithm that keeps track of driving conditions. Ill probably get hold of VCDS to reset the service message. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, red2 said:

As I can't see how to edit my post above...

The "Service Now !"  message is back so it was  just a coincidence it disappeared shortly after the oil change. So it seems there is no oil quality sensor and in fact it makes sense that the Variable Servicing interval is monitored by just an algorithm that keeps track of driving conditions. Ill probably get hold of VCDS to reset the service message. 

Hello @red2 To edit a post, click on the 3 dot symbol at the top RH side of your post - you get an option to report, edit or share the post.  

Edited by Warrior193
added information

14 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

Hello @red2 To edit a post, click on the 3 dot symbol at the top RH side of your post - you get an option to report, edit or share the post.  

Thanks Warrior193. The strange thing is when I click on that 3 dot symbol, I only get "Report" or "Share" options. No sign of "Edit".

1 hour ago, red2 said:

Thanks Warrior193. The strange thing is when I click on that 3 dot symbol, I only get "Report" or "Share" options. No sign of "Edit".

Editing of posts is a privilege of Freedom members.