Park Distance Control very intermittent

dazzaT4

This is how mine looks on the infotainment screen and I also get a message on the Virtual Console saying that the rear sensors may need cleaning.

Based on this picture, is it the sensor second from the right that is at fault? The gray bar on that area seems to suggest that. However, no amount of cleaning of all the sensors seems to fix the problem.

PXL_20240208_141308394.jpg

13 hours ago, andreiro221 said:

it is posible that the sensor is pushed into the bumper.

you shouol try to interchange 2 sensor to see what happens

Thanks @andreiro221 👍 

Do you have any guidance or links on how to remove the sensors?

Mark

I used to get this in my Mk3 when battery was low. Car used to turn off PDC and few other things till it was charged enough.

The stop start batteries don't hold a full charge and a couple of days of non use can reduce charge that it might need to turn stuff off for a min

On 07/02/2024 at 10:42, Mark Hiscock said:

I have also just started getting PDC error warnings when I turn the car on and put it in reverse.

I'm not sure if a single sensor is at fault or if it's a generic software issue. I'll try the "turn it off and on again" solution tonight to see if that temporarily resolves it.

This has only started happening in the last few weeks.

Mark

Mine still does it, Skoda garage had a look but no fix. Skoda say it's about as expected....

Seems to be worse when it's colder. 

Edited by dazzaT4

On 05/02/2024 at 19:41, ALBACORE said:

Have been into my local dealers twice now with PDC errors. They claim that when they checked it there is a Service Bulletin that says it is caused by" Environmental Issues". I told them the car is designed to operate from the Arctic to the Sahara so a mild day in Lancashire should not trigger a fault in the system! I want them to change the PDC unit but they are trying to wriggle out of doing that. I also have the Infotainment instability problem from day one of ownership of the car in January 2022. Been in three times now to the dealers and each time they load new software which fails to sort the problem (curently running 1941). I love the car without these faults but my patience is wearing very thin now.

So an update on my previous post on PDC errors and Infotainment System instability. After a bit of personal research I changed the start up sequence I had been using from Day1 which was foot on the clutch and press the Start button (vehicle is petrol and manual gearbox). I now press the Start button till the Virtual Display boots then foot on the clutch and press the start button a second time. Since changing to this start up sequence I have had no more PDC errors.

The infotainment saga continues and it looks like the car will have to go to the dealers for an extended investigation. However the After Sales Manager at the dealership told me that the Infotainment system was designed to run on the same hardware platform as the Eniaq but due to the component shortages during and after Covid other components were substituted to allow orders to be delivered to customers. Possibly my car has some substitute hardware. We will wait and see.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2024 at 21:41, MP1983 said:

Mine was at the dealer, reinitialised software, still does it. It started since the last update.

Same situation here after an overnight visit to the dealership last week. It was OK for a couple of days after they reinstalled/reinitialised some software (not totally clear what they actually did) but the PDC error was back again yesterday. 

I was wondering as discussed above if it's related to battery voltage on start up as I sometimes don't use the car for a few days and then the error nearly always comes up on cold start. However it also does it when the engine is already warm, and seems to be pattern of every 4-5 engine starts. Also this problem never occurred before the latest big infotainment update late last year. 

I'll try the tip above with switching the ignition on first, letting screens start up, then starting engine. However I've now decided I don't really want to have the car outside warranty after 3 years of bugs and problems so am probably going to trade in for something else shortly. Hopefully they may fix this one in another OTA update at some point...

Do you also get the maneuvering brake message? I get it all the time and today it came up on the screen 3 times within 2-3 seconds while driving and I had been driving for at least 20 min with no ignition switch off. I`m starting to think it could be related to the brake circuits.

On 09/03/2024 at 19:46, MP1983 said:

Do you also get the maneuvering brake message? I get it all the time and today it came up on the screen 3 times within 2-3 seconds while driving and I had been driving for at least 20 min with no ignition switch off. I`m starting to think it could be related to the brake circuits.

I just rechecked a video I took of the dashboard showing the errors on start up. Confirming that I do get the Manoeuvre Braking Currently Unavailable error, plus also Rear Traffic Assist and Park Distance Control Not Available errors (with about 5-6 warning bongs). Reversing camera still works. I think that all of these functions are probably dependent on the parking sensor module and when that module fails a start-up check it triggers all three error messages. Restarting the engine immediately clears all these errors. 

If I switch on the ignition (i.e. press the engine start button without pressing clutch pedal), wait 2-3 seconds to let the dashboard screen fully start up, then start the engine then I don't get any of these errors as ALBACORE mentioned above. This is a good workaround, although still an issue if needing to sell the car. 

I'm still fairly convinced that this is related to the 1947 infotainment software as this particular problem started shortly after that update was installed, and obviously the infotainment screen needs to connect to the PDC system to show the visual representation of proximity to objects etc. 

I was hit with the same PDC issue a few weeks after getting the 1941 software update in September 2023. I provided the Skoda dealer with video evidence of the fault when the car went in for diagnostics testing last month however, as it came back with no relevant diagnostic trouble codes present, they were initially unwilling to investigate it further. The car is now booked into one of their other branches for an extended investigation in April and I'll make the dealer aware of this forum as they don't seem to have any knowledge of this issue.

I maintained a detailed log over several weeks in January and the fault doesn't appear to be related to faulty parking sensors, environmental conditions, or battery voltage. The fault mainly appears when starting the vehicle from cold, however I did observe it a few times immediately after switching the engine off-on at normal operating temperature.

On the instrument cluster I get the "Manoeuvre braking currently unavailable" message showing briefly at engine switch on (white text), and the "Error: Park Distance Control" (yellow text) message when putting the car into gear or pressing the Park Assist button.

The fault is also reported by the infotainment system under vehicle->status - the error is incremented each time park assist is engaged (max = 3).

I changed the startup sequence this morning as described by ALBACORE and the error didn't appear - will try again over the coming days.

PDC.jpg

So, been a while since this bug is about. After some reading, i do belive that when you power on, main computer checks for faults too soon, before PDC had time to boot up, so it gives an error like not working sub-system. With this in mind i tried to just give it power to aux (kessy car, press button without clutch or brake, so it only powers electronics), then after few sec start car. This is second week of doing that on each start, so far no PDC fail errors. Try it out, im wondering will it work for others, or i just had lucky starts :)