Just cancelled

Rory

Background – I got into a bit of a panic in Aug when I suddenly realised our diesel 4Motion DSG Tiguan was about to hit 8yrs old.  It’s always been covered by VW warranty, last couple of years on All iN.   All In can’t be renewed due to the car's age and the stand alone warranty looked expensive.  Car had only done 45K miles and very little had gone wrong – still had original brakes and even tyres, thanks to having a winter set.  Felt I'd be tempting fate to hang on the car for longer.

I assumed we’d get a new Tiguan but wife was adamant that it was too big.  🙄  So looked at Karoq and she was happy with that.   New was on 45 wks lead time so took one that is just pre-22 facelift at a horribly high price, but the dealer ordered an identical (SE-L 1.5TSi DSG in Petrol Blue) new one to grab the PCP contribution at the time and suggested that cost to change would be around £6K.   I didn’t believe that, was thinking it would likely be more like £9K.

I started getting emails from Skoda saying the new one is almost here, and this week the dealer called to say it’s on its way.  So about half the lead-time they suggested.

Cost to change now – around £13K. 🤯    Told him I’m cancelling and will keep the car we’ve got.   To be fair, even at £6K I don’t think it would make financial sense and  I’m put off by the 8” digital dash – had a courtesy car with it and thought it was awful.  I can’t believe the bigger virtual dash isn’t standard – our daughter’s Kamiq has it as standard.  I also don’t fancy having lane guidance – a neighbour returned his Karoq and bought an older one as he hated it so much and daughter said it was fine at first but now does her head driving around town as it moves the wheel quite forcefully often unexpectedly.   I guess at some point it will be unavoidable though.

Edited by Rory

I ordered my 2nd Karoq on 2nd May 2022, and was given a Vehicle order Form (same with my first Karoq) where the agreement was set down, knowing exactly what was to pay,. trade-in etc. The car avoided late May22. Both times the Dealer honoured the stated price. 

Were you given  the vehicle order form?

Ah, sorry I just noticed the mention of PCP. I used the VW finance then repaid it. I am unfamiliar with PCP, it must be different. 

Edited by OldKaroq

No.  Didn't pay deposit either.

They were supposed to put the details in writing but never did.   I expect it would have been full of caveats anyway - at that point (Aug 23) the market was starting to look very iffy.

I always take the PCP then immediately Withdraw, so the car we've got is fully paid for.

The sales guy did say they're having a bit of a nightmare as the usual drill with PCP customers is to put them ito a new a car at 2 to 2.5yrs for a similar monthly payment but that isn't working now as resididual values have fallen so much most deals owe too mcuh money.

Edited by Rory

On my Pre-facelift Karoq I can choose whether to use the Lane Guidance feature or not, and it remembers my choice (ie doesn't default to having it on each time you start the car.) But mine also only works over 40 mph so doesn't do anything in towns.

Chris

2 hours ago, Rory said:

No.  Didn't pay deposit either.

They were supposed to put the details in writing but never did.   I expect it would have been full of caveats anyway - at that point (Aug 23) the market was starting to look very iffy.

I always take the PCP then immediately Withdraw, so the car we've got is fully paid for.

The sales guy did say they're having a bit of a nightmare as the usual drill with PCP customers is to put them ito a new a car at 2 to 2.5yrs for a similar monthly payment but that isn't working now as resididual values have fallen so much most deals owe too mcuh money.

Ah understood thanks. I was going to keep my first Karoq, but the trade in was so high at the time it was a no brainer to go for another, updated one.

1 hour ago, CJJE said:

On my Pre-facelift Karoq I can choose whether to use the Lane Guidance feature or not, and it remembers my choice (ie doesn't default to having it on each time you start the car.) But mine also only works over 40 mph so doesn't do anything in towns.

Chris

I remember fighting the steering with a loaner Octavia. I could not find out how to turn it off. A totally unnecessary feature IMO. Hope they don't become a standard item.

1 hour ago, CJJE said:

Chris

I believe it defaults to on now.  I wonder whether they've reduced the speed too?   The manual for our car (which doesn't have it) says 60kph (37.5mph).  

I've driven a courtesy Polo with it, and that did it when turning out of a junction and immediately going into the right lane - I'd have been doing maybe 15MPH.   I'd never experienced it before and thought I'd hit something! 

30 minutes ago, OldKaroq said:

I remember fighting the steering with a loaner Octavia. I could not find out how to turn it off. A totally unnecessary feature IMO. Hope they don't become a standard item.

I can't keep up with European law but I don't think there are any plans to make is compulsory at the moment. Where it has been introduced as a standard since 2022 I believe, is NCAP safety. That's why you find most manufacturers fitting it as standard - they obviously want the full 5 star safety certificate.

I admire the likes of Dacia who's new cars only revieve 1 or 2 stars. Is their safety really compromised? Their boss said why go to the expense of installing lane assist when most people just turn it off. He does have a point.

I will admit that lane assist makes me a better driver. The highway code says you're supposed to let other road users aware of your intentions prior to making a manouver therefore if you indicate, steering assist is switched off.  So I can see why it's there, it's just that I really hate it.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

I can't keep up with European law but I don't think there are any plans to make is compulsory at the moment. Where it has been introduced as a standard since 2022 I believe, is NCAP safety. That's why you find most manufacturers fitting it as standard - they obviously want the full 5 star safety certificate.

I admire the likes of Dacia who's new cars only revieve 1 or 2 stars. Is their safety really compromised? Their boss said why go to the expense of installing lane assist when most people just turn it off. He does have a point.

I will admit that lane assist makes me a better driver. The highway code says you're supposed to let other road users aware of your intentions prior to making a manouver therefore if you indicate, steering assist is switched off.  So I can see why it's there, it's just that I really hate it.   

Thats all interesting! 

My driving instructor was keen on me to use the indicators and its stuck with me. Traffic would flow better on roundabouts if others were to do the same. However im going off topic....

@Rory,  do you intend to keep the Tiguan then? My wife's Fabia is also 8 years old and we are keeping that, for now. 

1 minute ago, OldKaroq said:

@Rory,  do you intend to keep the Tiguan then? My wife's Fabia is also 8 years old and we are keeping that, for now. 

The Tiguan has gone - changed it for the 22 reg Karoq a few months ago.

1 hour ago, sussamb said:

I switch lane assist off, it's only 2 button presses on the steering wheel. Certainly wouldn't make me not buy a particular car.

I used it regularly for many months, but turned it off again a few months back as I found it disconcerting when it disengaged under 40 mph. And even before that I made a point of turning it off in icy weather as I preferred the unadulterated feel of the tyres on tarmac.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Redboy said:

I was surprised to find my new Karoq doesn't have lane assist 

Hmmm...seems it was deleted a while ago due to chip shortage.  No mention of it on the configurator now.

Odd that Kamiq still has it.   I quizzed daughter about her saying it's a problem around town and turns out there's a particular intersection that has lines all over the place where it bothers her and she probably is doing 40ish through there.    She's figured out how to turn it off and does that every journey now.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Rory said:

Hmmm...seems it was deleted a while ago due to chip shortage.  No mention of it on the configurator now.

Odd that Kamiq still has it.   I quizzed daughter about her saying it's a problem around town and turns out there's a particular intersection that has lines all over the place where it bothers her and she probably is doing 40ish through there.    She's figured out how to turn it off and does that every journey now.

Is it not in the "Travel assist" package?

1954221945_Screenshot2023-12-24at12-30-48Chooseoptionalequipment.png.4e13104d3d8728b87766854cc0d6df6d.png1500471421_Screenshot2023-12-24at12-34-36Skoda_Karoq_Brochure_Oct23_pdf.png.d0b8dfc28c8e5d8914e231f44b05f472.png

Can't remember how the issue of Lane Assist came up in a recent conversation with a friend.  He has it on his car it absolutely pees him off.

I think I'd be turning it off and would not be overly keen in having to do it at the start of every journey if that was the default.

2 hours ago, Stonekeeper said:

There is nothing in that package i would want either.

Some people say once they've had adaptive cruise control they wouldn't be without it. 

I've only ever tried it on a courtesy VW and I found that as well as watching the traffic I was also watching the car to make sure it reacted  - so I found it increased my "workload" rather than making life easier.  Maybe with time I'd get used to it.

Anyway lane guidance was a peripheral issue - the dashboard would probably have been a show stopper even in the unlikely event the dealer would have held the deal we discussed at the time (changing for £6K).   I do think they realised they messed up as used prices have fallen so they took the tack that they presumed I didn't want to go ahead.

Edited by Rory