Idle RPM Octavia 1.5TSI MK3 2020

2 hours ago, JD52 said:

I had a GPF regen happen after several days of house hunting where the car was driven quite slowly for long periods. I didn't realise what was happening when I noticed a petrol smell inside the car and the fuel gauge was dropping quite quickly. After calling out the RAC he could find no leak and then asked if I  had a GPF?  - problem solved, doing a regen.

I've owned a few GPF equipped cars in the past, never noticed a regen occur, although I don't do a lot of short journeys. At least if my light were to come on, I'd know what to do.

I've also owned a few dpf equipped cars in the past, I normally new when a regen was occurring, kept driving until they'd finished. GPF's should be less problematic in the long run. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mastercard said:

Based on the answers in this thread, I assume my Octavia behaves normal. The idle RPM and the higher engine sound seems to be normal. 

Im new to the Skoda world, and to be honest I dont feel so happy when driving the car, at the moment. 

I have Kumho KW31 winter tires on, without spikes. When driving the vehicle above 60 km/h, I hear road or engine noise. Sometimes more like resonance or humming noise, how should a Octavia sound in higher speeds? I know there is an individual aspect to take into consideration. 

Milage: 82k (kilometers) 

Sounds like tyre noise to me, my Octavia is generally quiet at all speeds, but I have summer tyres fitted at the moment. I've used winter tyres within the past, they tend to be nosier. Although if you say fitted  a premium all season tyre, they're generally good for all year round use. Width palys a part, too. I have 205/55 16 tyres fitted as factory standard to my car, I prefer a deeper tyre wall as it also helps with comfort & pothole resilience. 

15 minutes ago, Phoenixboy said:

Sounds like tyre noise to me, my Octavia is generally quiet at all speeds, but I have summer tyres fitted at the moment. I've used winter tyres within the past, they tend to be nosier. Although if you say fitted  a premium all season tyre, they're generally good for all year round use. Width palys a part, too. I have 205/55 16 tyres fitted as factory standard to my car, I prefer a deeper tyre wall as it also helps with comfort & pothole resilience. 

My kumho Kw31 winter tires are 205/55/R16. Which brand are yours?

The car is not quiet in my opinion. Wheel bearing fault at this milage? 

Edited by Mastercard

@PhoenixboyNo idea why you are surprised that a GPF car might need a forced regen.

There was Covid Lockdown and people have even small petrol city cars from 2018 with a GPF doing very short cold start runs.

Or have modern petrol cars and use them like they always have doing hardly any miles instead of a diesel but they issues can be the same sadly.

The time is coming soon that we might hear or read of more people with cars with GPF,s being advised the GPF requires replacing.

VW Group dealerships might be worth asking how much that will be because so far they are very vague. 

'High Idle Speeds'  are another question occurring, see in the Fabia Mk3 section maybe where some of the first Skoda with a GPF were bought and doing short trips.

Those getting a 3 cylinder 1.0 TSI might be buying all they need for their driving style and use and no heavy loads or regular long trips.

Those getting a 4 cylinder 1.5 TSI ACT might need those or think they do and that they will be doing few short cold start trips in colder weather and many might well do.  But there will be those that use their cars no different from those that got a 1.0TSI.

Time will tell as we get past 6 years since Skoda started fitting GPF,s. 

Screenshot 2024-01-31 06.27.36.png

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Mastercard said:

My kumho Kw31 winter tires are 205/55/R16. Which brand are yours?

The car is not quiet in my opinion. Wheel bearing fault at this milage? 

I have 4 summer tyres fitted, two match,  are Goodyear, other two are a toyo and and hankook. Car came with them you see, all very quiet.

I've had winter tyres on different cars within the past that were noisy, probably down to their softer compound and their tread sipes. 

Although decent all season tyres now are relatively quiet. 

I wheel bearing noise I'd say was more of a droning type noise, if you are unsure take it to an independent for them to give you their opinion. 

10 hours ago, Rooted said:

@PhoenixboyNo idea why you are surprised that a GPF car might need a forced regen.

There was Covid Lockdown and people have even small petrol city cars from 2018 with a GPF doing very short cold start runs.

Or have modern petrol cars and use them like they always have doing hardly any miles instead of a diesel but they issues can be the same sadly.

The time is coming soon that we might hear or read of more people with cars with GPF,s being advised the GPF requires replacing.

VW Group dealerships might be worth asking how much that will be because so far they are very vague. 

'High Idle Speeds'  are another question occurring, see in the Fabia Mk3 section maybe where some of the first Skoda with a GPF were bought and doing short trips.

Those getting a 3 cylinder 1.0 TSI might be buying all they need for their driving style and use and no heavy loads or regular long trips.

Those getting a 4 cylinder 1.5 TSI ACT might need those or think they do and that they will be doing few short cold start trips in colder weather and many might well do.  But there will be those that use their cars no different from those that got a 1.0TSI.

Time will tell as we get past 6 years since Skoda started fitting GPF,s. 

Screenshot 2024-01-31 06.27.36.png

I've never had an issue with a gpf yet, although most of my journeys are not short. 

Regards to the "C", lockdown there wasn't one for me I worked through it, as I work in the care industry. 

Edited by Phoenixboy

2 hours ago, Phoenixboy said:

I have 4 summer tyres fitted, two match,  are Goodyear, other two are a toyo and and hankook. Car came with them you see, all very quiet.

I've had winter tyres on different cars within the past that were noisy, probably down to their softer compound and their tread sipes. 

Although decent all season tyres now are relatively quiet. 

I wheel bearing noise I'd say was more of a droning type noise, if you are unsure take it to an independent for them to give you their opinion. 

I've never had an issue with a gpf yet, although most of my journeys are not short. 

Regards to the "C", lockdown there wasn't one for me I worked through it, as I work in the care industry. 

Okay. Thats good. I would really want to know what quiet means in this case. I would not say I hear droning sound, maybe more road noise. Difficult to tell, its not that quiet, and I hate that. According to supplier spec, my tires have 71dB noise. 

1 hour ago, Mastercard said:

Okay. Thats good. I would really want to know what quiet means in this case. I would not say I hear droning sound, maybe more road noise. Difficult to tell, its not that quiet, and I hate that. According to supplier spec, my tires have 71dB noise. 

A low noise rated tyre would be around 68-69db, then a lot is to do with interior noise insulation, too. I've owned many, many cars from the 80's onwards. My current Octavia is certainly not the noisiest car I've owned by far. It also has relatively soft suspension, which I like, certainly more so on my estate version or seemingly so. You can hear more noise coming from the tyres driving over say a concrete road, compared to a tarmac one. When I choose a tyre I tend to go for the exact same noise & load rating that was fitted from factory. I tend to fit them within fours if I can or at least in two's, across the same axle. Your tyres are relatively narrow, so choosing a wider tyre should create more noise, having more friction on the road, too. 

You could try swapping your front two over to your back two tyres, to see if that also makes a difference. 

I used to fit winter tyres over the winter periods on a regular basis, I've also used all season tyres, too. Have a full set of summers on at the moment, when I wear them out I'll then decide what to do. 

3 hours ago, Rooted said:

@PhoenixboyThat is how it should be. No issues.  No use though to those that might have that you did not.

?

Is it North East England you are in rather than the North East of the British Isles? 

GPF's are generally more reliable than DPF's within my opinion & most people that drive cars with GPF's would experience few if any problems. 

Yes to the North East of England. 

Edited by Phoenixboy

1 hour ago, Phoenixboy said:

A low noise rated tyre would be around 68-69db, then a lot is to do with interior noise insulation, too. I've owned many, many cars from the 80's onwards. My current Octavia is certainly not the noisiest car I've owned by far. It also has relatively soft suspension, which I like, certainly more so on my estate version or seemingly so. You can hear more noise coming from the tyres driving over say a concrete road, compared to a tarmac one. When I choose a tyre I tend to go for the exact same noise & load rating that was fitted from factory. I tend to fit them within fours if I can or at least in two's, across the same axle. Your tyres are relatively narrow, so choosing a wider tyre should create more noise, having more friction on the road, too. 

You could try swapping your front two over to your back two tyres, to see if that also makes a difference. 

I used to fit winter tyres over the winter periods on a regular basis, I've also used all season tyres, too. Have a full set of summers on at the moment, when I wear them out I'll then decide what to do. 

GPF's are generally more reliable than DPF's within my opinion & most people that drive cars with GPF's would experience few if any problems. 

Yes to the North East of England. 

My summer tires are Dunlop Sport Maxx RT. I just want to try them to see if there is any improvements. Not legally to drive with summer tires until 1th of April in Sweden. Maybe I will swap front and rear tires. I did however notice small cracks on the side of the winter tires today. They were produced 2019. Maybe they are just bad and worn tires, in terms of bad maintenance and storage. I hope thats the case. 

Edited by Mastercard
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mastercard said:

My summer tires are Dunlop Sport Maxx RT. I just want to try them to see if there is any improvements. Not legally to drive with summer tires until 1th of April in Sweden. Maybe I will swap front and rear tires. I did however notice small cracks on the side of the winter tires today. They were produced 2019. Maybe they are just bad and worn tires, in terms of bad maintenance and storage. I hope thats the case. 

Side wall cracking does not seem to be uncommon now with modern tyres, unfortunately. Maybe due to manufacturers using less silica within the production process. I've previously experienced this with continental tyres, also a current set of Michelin energy savers that are on another vehicle within our household, which I'll be replacing soon. They've had no more than average abuse, tyre pressures have always been correct. I've also heard of lots of other people with different brands talking about the same issue. 

I'll probably drop to mid range tyres next, see little point spending a lot on premium brands if they don't last. 

Edited by Phoenixboy

9 minutes ago, Phoenixboy said:

Side wall cracking does not seem to be uncommon now with modern tyres, unfortunately. Maybe due to manufacturers using less silica within the production process. I've previously experienced this with continental tyres, also a current set of Michelin energy savers that are on another vehicle within our household, which I'll be replacing soon. They've had no more than average abuse, tyre pressures have always been correct. I've also heard of lots of other people with different brands talking about the same issue. 

I'll probably drop to mid range tyres next, see little point spending a lot on premium brands if they don't last. 

I will check my pressure in the tyres tomorrow. Just to eliminate any potential faults

• Like 1

On 30/01/2024 at 22:21, Mastercard said:

Based on the answers in this thread, I assume my Octavia behaves normal. The idle RPM and the higher engine sound seems to be normal. 

Im new to the Skoda world, and to be honest I dont feel so happy when driving the car, at the moment. 

I have Kumho KW31 winter tires on, without spikes. When driving the vehicle above 60 km/h, I hear road or engine noise. Sometimes more like resonance or humming noise, how should a Octavia sound in higher speeds? I know there is an individual aspect to take into consideration. 

Milage: 82k (kilometers) 

Whilst the cars are essentially the same as a VW Golf, there are areas that Skoda cheapened out the build with. Lower quality sound deadening is one of them (you can retrofit the additional sound deadening if necessary). The Golf and the Octavia do drive very differently (I know this as I currently own both models).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, varaderoguy said:

Whilst the cars are essentially the same as a VW Golf, there are areas that Skoda cheapened out the build with. Lower quality sound deadening is one of them (you can retrofit the additional sound deadening if necessary). The Golf and the Octavia do drive very differently (I know this as I currently own both models).

I was driven Golf 7.5 before the Octavia. I agree. But what is the difference in driving them, according to you?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

Judging from the change from the topic heading, someone got tyred of idle conversation :) 

Its a spin-off haha. But yes, I asked a question and that resulted in a discussion about tires. Its all good👍

• Like 2

As mentioned Octavia are fitted with minimal  noise insulation material so the road noise in both my previous mk2 and current mk3 varied depending on a number of factors:

Both cars with good new tyres on very smooth tarmac at any speed and road noise was almost imperceptible.

Same cars/tyres on coarse tarmac and road noise was very obvious. Having said that I have experienced far worse road noise in other cars (rentals) on similar surfaces/speeds.

It is not uncommon for a slightly misaligned suspension geometry to cause "saw-toothing" of the tread which causes a sound very like a worn bearing. My mk2 came with factory misaligned irs which caused the Dunlop SportsMaxx to become unbearably noisy from the saw-toothing and I replaced them at only 15k km with a 4 wheel realignment. Fairly standard road noise after that

The Mk3 does not have irs in the lower specs (only vRS or AWD versions have irs) and so does not allow/require a rear alignment. Obviously the front suspension does allow/require alignments.

I never found changing the tyres diagonally to reverse the rotation fixed saw-toothing or noise once it had set in.

The OEM Dunlop SportsMaxx on the mk3 were fine for noise right up to the end of life at around 40k km. The replacement Michelin Primacy lasted 50k km but became relatively noisy for the last 10k km despite being road legal and no apparent saw-toothing (I even felt they were affecting the ride). New Continentals are fine so far for road noise, as usual, dependent on coarseness of road surface.

I vaguely remember there was a phase where some mk3 owners were critical of the noise from a particular brand fitted as OEM. I think they were Pirelli but would not swear to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nickytheshaft said:

Took mine out today, in the garage where it is about 10 degrees celcius it quickly idled at around 750 rpm for a 2l tsi

20240201_122614.jpg

Is this with AC heater OFF?

4 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

As mentioned Octavia are fitted with minimal  noise insulation material so the road noise in both my previous mk2 and current mk3 varied depending on a number of factors:

Both cars with good new tyres on very smooth tarmac at any speed and road noise was almost imperceptible.

Same cars/tyres on coarse tarmac and road noise was very obvious. Having said that I have experienced far worse road noise in other cars (rentals) on similar surfaces/speeds.

It is not uncommon for a slightly misaligned suspension geometry to cause "saw-toothing" of the tread which causes a sound very like a worn bearing. My mk2 came with factory misaligned irs which caused the Dunlop SportsMaxx to become unbearably noisy from the saw-toothing and I replaced them at only 15k km with a 4 wheel realignment. Fairly standard road noise after that

The Mk3 does not have irs in the lower specs (only vRS or AWD versions have irs) and so does not allow/require a rear alignment. Obviously the front suspension does allow/require alignments.

I never found changing the tyres diagonally to reverse the rotation fixed saw-toothing or noise once it had set in.

The OEM Dunlop SportsMaxx on the mk3 were fine for noise right up to the end of life at around 40k km. The replacement Michelin Primacy lasted 50k km but became relatively noisy for the last 10k km despite being road legal and no apparent saw-toothing (I even felt they were affecting the ride). New Continentals are fine so far for road noise, as usual, dependent on coarseness of road surface.

I vaguely remember there was a phase where some mk3 owners were critical of the noise from a particular brand fitted as OEM. I think they were Pirelli but would not swear to it.

I have Dunlop Sport Maxx as summer tires. I have not tried them yet, As I bought the car with winter tires on. Will be interesting. But when the summer tires wear out, I will change to some tires with maximum 69dB. 

6 hours ago, nickytheshaft said:

With heater and ac it barely goes over 750

20240202_184130.jpg

With ac and heater OFF, mine is at 750RPM, as soon as the AC and heater are turned on, it goes directly to 1000 RPM. 

How come yours is not going higher? I mean, I like that. From which year is your Octavia? 

11 minutes ago, Mastercard said:

With ac and heater OFF, mine is at 750RPM, as soon as the AC and heater are turned on, it goes directly to 1000 RPM. 

How come yours is not going higher? I mean, I like that. From which year is your Octavia? 

You've both got different engines. You're not comparing like for like. My 1.6 TDI idles at 750/800 RPM regardless of what load the engine has. It only goes to 1000 RPM when it's doing a regen.

2 minutes ago, ords said:

You've both got different engines. You're not comparing like for like. My 1.6 TDI idles at 750/800 RPM regardless of what load the engine has. It only goes to 1000 RPM when it's doing a regen.

Okay, what engine am i comparing to then? Dont see the spec..