Karoq Tyre Sizes

pgp001

Next time I get some new tyres fitted to replace the original Bridgestones, I want to get Goodyear Vector All Seasons.
I had these on my previous two Yeti's and was well pleased with them.

My Karoq petrol 1.0 SE-L is on the very un-practical Crater 19" wheels and currently has standard 225 x 40 tyres fitted.
My speedo is currently reading approx 10% higher than my Garmin "Sat Nav" speed when I tested it.

My question is has anyone got any experience of fitting slightly deeper 225 x 45 tyres on this car ?
Just for info the tyre comparison website says that these would be 3.4% larger circumference.

I believe the Edition model had 225 x 45 as standard ??

Thanks
Phil
Edited by ColinD

We have a 2020 Sportline dsg that came with the awful 19in Bridgestones on Vega rims. Within a month I fitted Michelin CrossClimate2s, completely changed the cars handling. Had them previously on a Subaru Forester and then  Freelander, never been disappointed. Got a decent deal through Camskill and at the time, as indeed now, Michelin were running a cashback offer and the £60 pretty much covered my tyreman’s fitting costs. I posted details of the deal under the tyre section although it does appear on the company’s site

Edited by BTandSid

I'm not sure that I would risk fitting a non recommended/ non homologated size tyre. If you do make sure you get the OK from your insurance company before you go ahead with it. You may find oversized tyres catch the bodywork when turning and car leaning. They may have an effect on handling and speedo accuracy. Above all make sure the tyre size is suitablw for the rims you have.

Some tyres come with a rim protector. My Superb 235/45/18 OE P7 and the Goodyear 4seasons G3 I fitted last week have an identical protector sitting just above the rim.

I take tyre tests with a pinch of salt. I read 4 different group tests and come away with 4 different opinions. Unless the test car and tyre sizes are identical to yours the results can be misleading.

1 hour ago, Jmagee said:

The 4*4 version has 225/45/19 tyres as standard so can't see any issue with fitting those. 

The 4x4 version has 225/45/19 tyres as one of the standard fitments.  245/40, as I was proposing, is another.  Both the Crater and the Vega 19-inch wheels on the Karoq come from the factory with any of the following: 225/40, 235/40, 225/45 and 245/40 tyres.

3 hours ago, BTandSid said:

We have a 2020 Sportline dsg that came with the awaful 19in Bridgestones on Vega rims. Within a month I fitted Michelin CrossClimate2s, completely changed the cars handling. Had them previously on a Subaru Forester and then  Freelander, never been disappointed. Got a decent deal through Camskill and at the time, as indeed now, Michelin were running a cashback offer and the £60 pretty much covered my tyreman’s fitting costs. I posted details of the deal under the tyre section although it does appear on the company’s site

Sorry, please can you point me in the direction of the current Michelin cash back offer please? I have had a search of their website and couldn’t see cash offer on tyres at present, thanks.

I actually posted up a thread under the Tyres and Wheels section a couple of days ago. Search it under ‘Michelin offer’

Just found the email I got - basically buy 2 or more and claim up to £100 depending upon tyre size. Offer code PIM4FY

Edited by BTandSid
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, pgp001 said:

I believe the Edition model had 225 x 45 as standard ??

Phil, my ex-demo MY21 edition 2wd 1.5tsi dsg has Crater wheels and 225/40R19 Bridgestones as standard.

Those tyres were appalling and I swapped them as soon as possible for Michelin CrossClimate2s.

Which, in contrast, are superb tyres with incredible grip winter and summer.

21 hours ago, pgp001 said:
My speedo is currently reading approx 10% higher than my Garmin "Sat Nav" speed when I tested it.

Is it 10% out even at 70?   We use Waze for navigation - I don't want to put misleading numbers up, but it reads close enough to car's digital display that it hasn't given me enough concern to especially note the difference.

12 minutes ago, Rory said:

Is it 10% out even at 70?   We use Waze for navigation - I don't want to put misleading numbers up, but it reads close enough to car's digital display that it hasn't given me enough concern to especially note the difference.

I have downloaded a Speedometer App onto my phone. This wasn't primarily to check my car speedo, but I thought I'd give it a try yesterday. At 30 mph on my car the app read 28mph, at 40mph, it was 37mph, 50 was 47mph, 60 was 57mph, 70 was 66mph.

16 minutes ago, Routemaster1461 said:

I have downloaded a Speedometer App onto my phone. This wasn't primarily to check my car speedo, but I thought I'd give it a try yesterday. At 30 mph on my car the app read 28mph, at 40mph, it was 37mph, 50 was 47mph, 60 was 57mph, 70 was 66mph.

My understanding is that speedometers can over read by up to 10% but must NOT under read.  Looks like you app readings (if accurate) being slightly under are OK.

tom

26 minutes ago, Sanqhar said:

My understanding is that speedometers can over read by up to 10% but must NOT under read.  Looks like you app readings (if accurate) being slightly under are OK.

tom

I was aware that this legal, it is just handy to know so that you don't worry if your car speedo shows slightly above the posted speed limit.

• ColinD changed the title to Karoq Tyre Sizes

Hi Guys.
Thanks for all the input and suggestions. My car was three years old last October, and has literally just done 9000 miles this week.
I only bought it two weeks ago and am going to try and eke a bit more out of the original Bridgestones by swapping them front to back.

I think I am even more confused about what "All seasons" tyre size to go for when I do eventually replace the Bridgestones.
My previous two cars have been Yeti's, a 1.8 TSI and a 1.2 TSI both petrol, I had the Goodyear Vectors on both of them and they were excellent tyres.

I am now wondering about trying to get hold of a good set of Yeti 17" alloys which seem to go from around £250 a set, and then get the new Vector tyres fitted to those for around £500.

Unless I have been misinformed the Yeti wheel is a good alternative for an original Karoq with the same offset and bolt pattern/hub diameter etc. ?

The Yeti wheel option and new tyres would work out about the same as set of 19" Vector tyres.  I could then hopefully sell the original 19" Craters and and be better off all round.

Anyone got a nice clean set of 17" Yeti wheels ?? 

9 hours ago, Routemaster1461 said:

Looks like you need to get a quicker mobile 😏

"The Goodyear Vector 4Seasons is still a good tyre and I used them on a Yeti a few years ago.  However, when buying all-season tyres for our Karoq Sportline 1.5 last month, I decided against them for 3 reasons:

1. They are said by some people in the tyre trade to have thinner sidewalls than the competitors, making them more susceptible to pothole and kerb damage.............."

Sorry, only just caught up with this thread..... my wife's B-max has been fitted with Goodyear Vector 4seasons gen 2 all round and, 2 years ago when her front tyre was flattened by a pot-hole, I remember thinking at the time how thin the side-wall looked. This is not a scientifically measured observation, just my impression at the time.

Maybe when I come to replace the tyres on my Karoq, I'll go for the Bridgestone Turanza all-season 6s

• Like 2

In a way and probably being a bit simplistic, that was what I undertstood to be the original idea of radial tyres, from Michelin X onwards.  The tread very rigid across the width so as not to squirm on the road surface and where all the reinforcing wires are located, yet very forgiving up & down when hitting bumps, due to nice soft sidewalls that flex easily.  I recall years ago while waiting around in tyre service stations, often examining tyres lying around and they all seemed to have surprisingly soft sidewalls.  At more recent tyre changes and so looking at later tyres as I still do - something to do while waiting around - sidewalls seemed to be more rigid than I recall in the past.

Of course these days all tyres are much lower profile but often with big wheels and the tread cross-sectional widths are pretty enormous by old standardss.  This means wheels & tyres stick out more & so more likely to scrape against kerb edges etc. suffering sidewall damage.  So they now generally make tyres XL rated with reinforced sidewalls, so that presumably makes the sidewalls stiffer and ride a bit harsher.  Doesn't this remind you of old style cross ply tyres with reinforcement all the way round the tyre (but of course without the tread squirm that these old tyres suffered).

Maybe the Goodyear Vector 4 seasons harks back to the original radial concept, in which case I should maybe have considered these more carefully, when i did my tyre change 9 months ago.

• Confused 1

The quote fro someone on the Goodyear Vector 4 season is based on not much really. 

Damn good tyres, but if someone has experience of them getting bulges or tears or sidewall damage than that will be no more of an issue than with any other tyres.

Sh!t happens. 

XL tyres really do not mean that a vehicles is going to have a stiffer ride.   I just changed from one brand of All Seasons to another and both are XL, 

but the newest ones are on rims 1" less diameter, but then i am running a slightly higher tyre pressure.

The Maxxis AP3 i have fitted do seam to have a stringer sidewall than the last Maxxis AP3,s i had and that got a bulge, my fault, and cracking, not my fault.

They were replaced by My Tyres after not that many miles, weeks of use. 

I wreck plenty tyres usually , All Season or Snow tyres as that is all i use & as i drive pretty bad roads lots in poor conditions. 

Not this year so far though. 

Screenshot 2024-02-14 21.27.33.png

DSC_0639.JPG.620a2ad7cfafdce2d29c5cb5b8bbb85a.jpeg

173727405_DSCN2023.JPG.df9576e0cb8c2797b7d64bdf745d4f8a(2).jpeg.0d33188231cfbeed33481a162f23d6e5.jpeg.0d8cb6dc719ad43a7a8860db086a3ad3.jpeg

211720605_DSCN2017.JPG.81487c82ac411093f0cbb0d483d453ca(1).jpeg.f620992a54b8071211b3e68af2134f86.jpeg.f4af7691c79d4d9b54fd641890273069.jpeg.4b2e3e9d640f1a0f1834d943b21c2c00.jpeg

DSCN2048.JPG.6b4a756cf8966500e08138d2a2f130cf.jpeg.6f2aff6849a3f5f9ac4e5872f2cb1879.jpeg.ca416ac2200bccc91b648efe26d7a0a2.jpeg

Edited by Rooted

3 hours ago, StEdmund said:

Sorry, only just caught up with this thread..... my wife's B-max has been fitted with Goodyear Vector 4seasons gen 2 all round and, 2 years ago when her front tyre was flattened by a pot-hole, I remember thinking at the time how thin the side-wall looked. This is not a scientifically measured observation, just my impression at the time.

Maybe when I come to replace the tyres on my Karoq, I'll go for the Bridgestone Turanza all-season 6s

Yes, people in the trade, who see far more tyres than any of us here, are seeing too many Goodyears being scrapped because of big bulges in the sidewalls.  In other respects many of their tyres remain excellent.

Goodyear develops its tyres for the European market at Hanau near Frankfurt and Colmar-Berg in Luxembourg.  They don't have many of our crater-like potholes and vicious speed bumps in those parts.

Edited by mumpsim
  • Haha 1

People in the trade.  Are these fitters at Tyre & Exhaust centres?   Where in the UK are you based @mumpsim and where do you go for tyre fitting?

No idea which centres these are, Halfords, Kwik Fit, ATS-Euromaster, Tyre City etc.   But because i know many of these people in the Trade and am in an area where many people get All Seasons, Winters and All Terrains etc fitted by people who have been in the job most of their working life i take lots from Tyre Fitters with a pinch of salt.

Not my local guys. Salt of the Earth.

I like my tyres like TIGAR, Hifly etc, Serbian Factories and the likes, i liked my Michelin that were made in Dundee. 

1 minute ago, Rooted said:

People in the trade.  Are these fitters at Tyre & Exhaust centres? 

An old friend of mine owns a tyre supply and fitting company and has contacts in the same trade all over the UK.  He deals with the wholesalers and has contacts with manufacturers.  We speak most weeks.  He has a more wide-ranging overview of the business than any fitter.

I too liked Michelins made in Dundee and liked going round the factory, but they were mostly the smaller, cheaper sizes and PCP deals killed them as nobody is going to fit top-quality tyres when they are due to hand a car back.

• Haha 1

@mumpsim That is what Michelin said when going to close the Dundee factory.

Well 16" and smaller tyres were what was very very common around this area in the days before style over practicality. 

I like many people run our cars on Michelin tyres Free Gratis as Test Tyres because of Friends and Family that worked there and took in our cars to get the tyres fitted and then changed when getting new ones or going to sell our cars. 

Edited by Rooted