Standard OEM Owners

Morning all,

After a hiatus of about 4 years, I’ve come crawling back begging for forgiveness 🙏🏾 

Sold my modified VRS in 2020 as I was moving up into Yorkshire, the roads although fun, were susceptible to being closed due to snow etc… so I sold it on and bought a Forester 2.5 XT!

I now live in Sunny Stoke and after a period of two years with one household car (I cycle 2 miles to work) I’ve decided to come back to the fold….

I’m on the hunt for the SE variety and want a totally standard, unmolested and loved motor!

That’s a very long winded post when all I actually wanted to know is who drives a totally standard VRS?…. and do you prefer it if you have had a modified model in the past?

23 hours ago, wolfsburger said:

I’m on the hunt for the SE variety and want a totally standard, unmolested and loved motor!

That’s a very long winded post when all I actually wanted to know is who drives a totally standard VRS?…. and do you prefer it if you have had a modified model in the past?

We have a completely standard Vrs, which the other half really likes, to the point she isn't interested in changing it after 19 years of ownership.

• Love it! 1

I still have my standard 06 plate vRS. It's in need of a bit of attention, some of which I intend to do this weekend in the form of replacing the steering rack.

There will be other bits and bobs done at the same time too like replacing the N/S/F (final) shock and spring. So new suspension all round.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

2 hours ago, Dieselman said:

We have a completely standard Vrs, which the other half really likes, to the point she isn't interested in changing it after 19 years of ownership.

Wow that’s amazing!! 😲

22 minutes ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

I still have my standard 06 plate vRS. It's in need of a bit of attention, some of which I intend to do this weekend in the form of replacing the steering rack.

There will be other bits and bobs done at the same time too like replacing the N/S/F (final) shock and spring. So new suspension all round.

Good to hear!

I’m adamant on keeping my next vRS standard, I just have to find the right one! 🙏🏾 

I've had mine 8 years, it's still standard but an impending hybrid company car is making me think of getting it tuned up when it's the second car! What's wrong with modifying them? Any bad experiences?

42 minutes ago, lewis66 said:

What's wrong with modifying them? Any bad experiences?

There's nothing wrong with modifying them at all. Whatever folk want to do. I wouldn't be surprised, though, to learn that there are fewer standard Fabia vRS than there are modified ones now.

Personally I'm just not into getting big power, lowered suspension etc. I like subtle modifications/upgrades that can be done with parts from elsewhere in the VAG stable or unselected options from the original list for the car.

It's interesting to see that owners of standard cars tend to keep them much longer than owners of modified ones.  I think that applies to all makes and models.

I know someone that purchased a Mk2 VW Golf GTi new in August 1991 and still has it today.  It was their only car all that time.

Perhaps owners of modified ones are never satisfied with the car once modified, perhaps the mods didn't fulfil the expectation, or created other, unexpected, traits.  Everything is a trade off.

Certainly, once cars are regarded as classics, typically, the closer to standard the more desirable.

Edited by Dieselman
  • Like 2
  • Love it! 1

1 minute ago, Dieselman said:

I know someone that purchased a Mk2 VW Golf GTi new in August 1991 and still has it today.

The absolute sweetspot for simplicity and reliability, if they resisted the temptation in the first decade they would never want to sell it and it was such a well designed and put together vehicle that it will remain far more reliable than anything newer.

I would buy an original unmolested and cherished VAG vehicle from the 90's in a heartbeat if it suited my usage, shame they never made the Yeti back then, my current usage as a working vehicle would be unfair on say a cherished Passat Estate, I keep hankering over a normally aspirated diesel Toyoto BJ40 Jeep!

I think now I'm reaching the half century in age, I'm going full circle 👴 I'm now at the point where I want another Fabia vRS, but totally standard.

I've modified every single car I owned since I passed my test in 1993, I just am not interested anymore.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

The sweet spot on the VRS is a low torque remap, more speed, more economy, no reliability penalty.

What's not to like.

I say grow old disgracefully!

Yeah actually I’m all for better economy 👴🏾

While standard ones are out there, they are becoming more rare by the year, usually in the hands of real long term owners as well.

A nice standard (but well maintained) example will always drive well, in fact just as any standard PD130 car will, and should arguably give little trouble but they are getting old now. A lot of parts are being discontinued by Skoda (Standard exhaust systems for example) so there will be a bit of dedication and resource needed to keep it stock.

Good luck with the search fella.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lofty said:

While standard ones are out there, they are becoming more rare by the year, usually in the hands of real long term owners as well.

A nice standard (but well maintained) example will always drive well, in fact just as any standard PD130 car will, and should arguably give little trouble but they are getting old now. A lot of parts are being discontinued by Skoda (Standard exhaust systems for example) so there will be a bit of dedication and resource needed to keep it stock.

Good luck with the search fella.

Yes this is true, I'm already on the hunt for OE parts for the SE which I'm picking up next week 😍

I suppose some items you would look to replace with better items, but then you've modified it, and as you say as part dry up, there is no choice but to fit aftermarket parts.

Makes sense to "stockpile" bits if you have room and resources to do so.

Even I was trying to locate a complete OE exhaust system - just in case but drew a blank on that and some stuff.

Trim and plastics also seem to have gone from the parts systems as well, but the supply of service and maintenance parts are good for the time being.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late to the chat @wolfsburger glad to see you got yourself a nice SE example. I am on my second standardish Fab vRS. I had one about 11 years ago as a second car. Kept it for a few years then sold it for about the same as I paid. It had the seat surgeons leathers inc door cards. The polo dash drawer. And some other tasteful mods. Fast forward to my 50th and I wanted a 272/280 S3. Hard to come by and a lot of money. Have ended up with a standard very low mile 55 plate Furby again been about a year.. Needs some work. I don’t drive much these days but it would be my car of choice as the fleet is up-to 4 cars on the drive. I would love an SE though with heated leathers lol 

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

On 20/02/2024 at 09:14, Lofty said:

Makes sense to "stockpile" bits if you have room and resources to do so.

Even I was trying to locate a complete OE exhaust system - just in case but drew a blank on that and some stuff.

Trim and plastics also seem to have gone from the parts systems as well, but the supply of service and maintenance parts are good for the time being.

I see more cars being broken on FB than for sale that says something Matt. It can’t last forever before parts become more scarce 

1 hour ago, gav_is_con said:

I see more cars being broken on FB than for sale that says something Matt. It can’t last forever before parts become more scarce 

I think this is the only way to get some parts now, oh and paying through the nose one eBay 💸

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, gav_is_con said:

Bit late to the chat @wolfsburger glad to see you got yourself a nice SE example. I am on my second standardish Fab vRS. I had one about 11 years ago as a second car. Kept it for a few years then sold it for about the same as I paid. It had the seat surgeons leathers inc door cards. The polo dash drawer. And some other tasteful mods. Fast forward to my 50th and I wanted a 272/280 S3. Hard to come by and a lot of money. Have ended up with a standard very low mile 55 plate Furby again been about a year.. Needs some work. I don’t drive much these days but it would be my car of choice as the fleet is up-to 4 cars on the drive. I would love an SE though with heated leathers lol 

Will I be seeing your vRS at the Skoda Owner's Club 'Skodafest' this year?

Hoping to be there in my Mk1 again, with the rear electric windows fitted as well. :)

My vRS is completely standard apart from one (in my mind very important) modification. Larger front brake disks. The first week I owned the car I had someone pull out of a turning that had a red light so hit the anchors. We stopped but it felt 'taxed' and the stopping power felt less than the car should have. 

So I had the Audi TT disk upgrade, and it was perfect on the few times I needed to scrub of speed quickly. 

Also a simple bolt on rear anti-roll bar was another early upgrade which I have appreciated on twisty roads and in Milton Keynes (lots of roundabouts).

Otherwise totally standard. 

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

6 hours ago, Tailhappy said:

My vRS is completely standard apart from one (in my mind very important) modification. Larger front brake disks. The first week I owned the car I had someone pull out of a turning that had a red light so hit the anchors. We stopped but it felt 'taxed' and the stopping power felt less than the car should have. 

So I had the Audi TT disk upgrade, and it was perfect on the few times I needed to scrub of speed quickly. 

Also a simple bolt on rear anti-roll bar was another early upgrade which I have appreciated on twisty roads and in Milton Keynes (lots of roundabouts).

Otherwise totally standard. 

I have purchased a rea anti-roll bar, and also a pair of TT callipers, the car has recently had discs and pads all round and they feel very good, so I’m going to wait until they need replacing before upgrading.

• Like 2