Shout out to Skoda owners

I have found, through owning my previous Octavia and my wife's current Citigo that these Skoda forums are easily the best of the car forums I've used.. I'm now looking for a 4wd car, as my daughter's bought a horse trailer. My shortlist includes the Superb 4wd and an Audi Q5. I asked the same question on the owners club Q5 forum about modern diesel cars and DPFs and received virtually no response. I have also found Skoda dealers to be much more approachable than Audi dealers, which is almost enough alone to push me back towards Skoda.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, harrylime said:

I have found, through owning my previous Octavia and my wife's current Citigo that these Skoda forums are easily the best of the car forums I've used.. I'm now looking for a 4wd car, as my daughter's bought a horse trailer. My shortlist includes the Superb 4wd and an Audi Q5. I asked the same question on the owners club Q5 forum about modern diesel cars and DPFs and received virtually no response. I have also found Skoda dealers to be much more approachable than Audi dealers, which is almost enough alone to push me back towards Skoda.

For a tug I'd actually suggest a Kodiak, but make sure it at least has towbar preparation if not a factory bar.

Less serious suggestion would be a Toyota "Technical", preferably with a pedestal mounted Browning 0.50 calibre on the bed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’d’ve thoughts a 4x4 diesel Superb would be fine, but the max towing weight might be an issue (albeit I don’t have a Danny what a horse trailer complete with said horse would weigh!). 

Had plenty of experience towing livestock trailers in the late 70's with a Ford Granada, it was not a good combination.

The Superb is softly sprung and has a tendency to wallow at the back end on uneven country roads. With a heavy trailer you might find it bottoming out and quite difficult to handle on less than level roads. Especially if the nose weight changes as the animal moves about.

The towball on a superb may be set low, you need to check it matches your trailer

You'd be better off with a more agricultural vehicle like a pickup.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, harrylime said:

I have found, through owning my previous Octavia and my wife's current Citigo that these Skoda forums are easily the best of the car forums I've used.. 

I must agree. Even now not owning a Skoda (after 2 Octavias) I return to these pages almost daily for the well informed discussions and I learn something most days.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, harrylime said:

Feeling the love. Def a good active forum. I think the only thing seems like meets have fallen away but I’m betting that’s widespread