Extended warranty

Suuntobob

Hi,
My Karoq is just 3 years old 1.5TSI DSG, and I have to decide wether or not to take up the extended warranty and was wondering, has anyone on here had a succesful claim on the extended warranty and also has anyone had a claim refused and if so what was it.

Might I suggest you consider this

https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/all-in-service-plan

I originally took an extended warranty but cancelled it after 9 months when they launched the all in scheme above on my dealer's advice. (Got a pro rata refund)

The All In plan was far more cost effective (then it was £25 per month) offering 2 years warranty basically the same warranty as the Skoda extended warranty PLUS 2 services (which can be long life /variable but now must be carried out within a 3 year time frame) PLUS 2 MOTs PLUS Roadside assistance for 2 years by the AA. Can be transferred if you sell the car.

Its more expensive now but still probably better value for money than an extended warranty. And as its for cars up to 6 years old you could get warranty cover up to 8 year old.

In my case I renewed mine in Nov and I have cover till the car is 7¾ years old. Car does 18k per year so the service cover is ideal and for me the plan is as cheap as just paying for servicing in isolation.

As official Skoda servicing is included it gives less scope for them to refuse warranty claims.

Btw, you can have the 1st included service done straight away if you need it. Ask it be done on the longlife regime and then schedule the next to suit you. So maybe that will save you money too.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

@xman Thanks for the suggestion, this is actually really smart! Wanted to check, as I couldn't find it in the T&C, is a DSG service included in those 2 services? As my car is~40k miles on a DSG6 and would need service soon, so tallying up options. Thanks!

I dont think DSG services are included . From the T & C's

b) Service Plan - Additional Exclusions :
(xiv) All non-standard service work.
(xv) Cambelt and drive belt.
(xvi) Airconditioning.
(xvii) Drivetrain gearbox/Transmissionservice.
(xviii) BEVs – Battery Electrical Vehicles

• Like 2

My sister-in-law took out that service plan on her Fabia a few years ago, 6 months after taking it out her 1.2 TSI petrol Fabia had to have the EGR replaced along with the Turbo. This was all covered under the service plan. She has renewed the service plan at least once since.

• Like 1

Just my tuppence worth, but I'd like to remind you that a warranty is essentially a gamble that your car will break down.

You "win" the gamble by getting a successful claim against a failure on your car. (Note, your claim against a failure on your car may be rejected, but you'll still be billed for the warranty. That way you "lose" twice.)

You "lose" the bet if your car doesn't break down, so the cost of the warranty was essentially wasted other than to give peace of mind, albeit illusory in some instances.

That said, in a perfect claim, a decent warranty can save you a small fortune.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EnterName said:

Just my tuppence worth, but I'd like to remind you that a warranty is essentially a gamble that your car will break down.

You "win" the gamble by getting a successful claim against a failure on your car. (Note, your claim against a failure on your car may be rejected, but you'll still be billed for the warranty. That way you "lose" twice.)

You "lose" the bet if your car doesn't break down, so the cost of the warranty was essentially wasted other than to give peace of mind, albeit illusory in some instances.

That said, in a perfect claim, a decent warranty can save you a small fortune.

With the all in plan I think the cost of the breakdown and services alone might justify it. You're almost getting the warranty part for free. Of course that's based on main dealer prices.

Friend of mine had his water pump done on this warranty to, although the VW counterpart. 

• Like 1

My Karoq is now in its 6th year and I've just booked it in to get the fuel-flap sorted out; I'm told that it's probably a faulty solenoid. It's most frustrating to be about to fill up and finding that the flap won't release - and the problem has been getting worse over the past year or so.

I have an all-in service plan and, whilst booking the car in, I was informed that the all-in plan will cover the cost.

I had to get both the struts on the electric tailgate replaced on our Karoq last year, all was covered by VWFS having taken out the “all in one package” . As our car is nearly 6 years old when the all in one package ran out  I had no hesitation in renewing it , now means I have  A manufacturer backed warranty cover until the car is  7 years 6 months old 

• 2 weeks later...

Am I missing something or has the 2 year "All-in" service plan gone up in price from £696 in 2022 to £900 in 2024?  That is a 30% increase!  

From what I read, these plans are good for cars up to 6 years old according to the website.  My current plan ends on 6th August 2024 and my MOT expires 5th August 2024 and my next service is due 6th August 2024.  The car was first registered (V5) 6th August 2019 

On 7th August 2024 my car will be in its 5th year so I am right in thinking that I can take out another All-in right?

I guess even at £900, on a 5 year old DSG TSi it is not too bad as it includes breakdown (circa £80) and also 2x MOT (circa £80) and 2x main dealer service + te all important warranty that will cover the Mechatronic and DSG and Turbo. 

Cheers,

Paul