Know this guage?

So I have this gauge I just can't figure out what it... Gauges? The one to the left, the one with the lines. I looked in the manual and it mentions all the other things more or less, or I can figure it out myself but this eludes me. It's not static cause it does move, just can't get what it moves for or how to word it...

20240303_162313.jpg

There is not a guage to the left of the image with lines, there is half of a rev counter, to the right is oil temperature.

3 minutes ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Oil temp by looks .

Yeah oil temp is in the right, but the one that's like lines and not a solid bar, no idea.

Just now, Meckmester said:

Yeah oil temp is in the right, but the one that's like lines and not a solid bar, no idea.

Yes see what mean ,no idea then some one will have an idea i imagine .

27 minutes ago, Meckmester said:

I would reckon its still part of the oil temp tho ,as it all the same gauge,meybe the solid red is a warning the oils gettin a tad warm ?

The bit with lines (up to just after 103) is the normal operating temperature. The red to the right is overheating. The red lines show the current temperature. 103 could be the current temperature or the mark just before the red overheating section. Does that number change?

Yes it's all one gauge.

2 hours ago, Mickvrs220 said:

I would reckon its still part of the oil temp tho ,as it all the same gauge,meybe the solid red is a warning the oils gettin a tad warm ?

The solid red line moves up to that point when engine is up to tenp, engine is always around 100-105c highest I've seen it is 108c. The one to the left of the solid oil temp line kinda goes up at times and down at others, don't know what it signals. Not temperature related I'd guess, cause it moves independently of the engine temp. It can be in the middle when I start the car and it's cold and then move down or it can start at the bottom and move up. It just confuses me.

14 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

The bit with lines (up to just after 103) is the normal operating temperature. The red to the right is overheating. The red lines show the current temperature. 103 could be the current temperature or the mark just before the red overheating section. Does that number change?

Yes it's all one gauge.

I mean they move independently of one another. The solid red like always move up as the engine heats up. Normal temp for the engine just idling is 99-100c. Normal driving temp is 104c and the highest I've seen the temp is on a race day it was 108c. The single lines to the left of the solid red line moves whenever it feels like it, I feel like. It can start at the bottom on a cold start or somewhere in the middle and moves either up or down, unrelated to the oil temp which only goes up to where you see it in the picture. I've seen it all the way at the top, where that small white separator thingy is just driving normally and it's where you see it in the picture having driven the car hard. Things I've thought it has been related to has been oil life, but that didn't make sense for very long. Then maybe it was gearbox temp or maybe differential temp, but I really don't know. 

As @SC03OTT mentioned, it's one gauge for oil temperature.

It'll start like this assuming the oil is less than 50'C:

image.png.614b93c4fa25b351b054b39f672f19d9.png

As it gets warmer, the bar on the right will grow - few examples from Google:

image.png.5e515a2f345bef788f861720c5ce4059.png

image.png.752872c9204d682d88d691bfea4f2e9a.png

image.png.997d0d13c68f2c6542c1028f89079e43.png

image.png.de16103f985241f5c0759b2afecaef80.png

image.png.8d269889b655e35f3aa1f0160ed012d0.png

image.png.4239acf2790a72eb279b35bd64661e01.png

image.png.cf31f567cb7a3f1138f5ce2fe85553dd.png

I don't believe the little 'tick' mark in the middle means much. It's probably around 115'C so maybe a 'normal' maximum for most driving and conditions. The red hatched area would start around 160'C at a guess?

As long as the solid red bar doesn't get long enough to touch the red hatched section, it should be fine. Hope that helps unless I'm misunderstanding your question...

• Like 1

Its a horrible design, what idiot designs gauges that work right to left against all normal convention?

In my experience oil temperatures should normally sit in 90-105 range so why choose 130 as a mid point? And using red which is by convention use to denote a warning .

Some art graduate involved me thinks

Edited by xman

19 minutes ago, xman said:

Its a horrible design, what idiot designs gauges that work right to left against all normal convention?

In my experience oil temperatures should normally sit in 90-105 range so why choose 130 as a mid point? And using red which is by convention use to denote a warning .

Some art graduate involved me thinks

Makes sense, but OP says even starting from cold the line can be anywhere and move in either direction.

3 hours ago, ords said:

Makes sense, but OP says even starting from cold the line can be anywhere and move in either direction.

I think the OP needs to provide some pictures showing exactly what behaviour they are seeing...

The only part I've ever notice move is the solid red bar and it does so predictably as shown in the pictures above.

• Like 1