Cold start rattling noise

I noticed strange rattling sound coming from from the engine upon a cold start and after some time sound disappears. It looks like it's coming from belts or water pump which was replaced 20.000km ago at 40.000km. The pump is working fine after the replacement even though I noticed certain coolant leakage (let's say 5mm of coolant level dropped during last 3.000km) without any visible trace. Even my dealership garage didn't found any leakage by putting the cooling system under the pressure.

I am driving Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI DSG from 2019 currently with 60.000km on the dashboard.

Here you can find the rattling sound from the engine:

Did someone experienced the same noise or might have a clue what's going on?

That rotational sound is too slow to be the water pump. It appears to be in time with the cam or aux belt travelling a complete cycle. Unfortunately, apart from that observation, I can’t be of more help. 🙄

• Thanks 1

I had exactly that noise for years until my water pump packed up and got replaced. Since then it's gone. Not saying it's your water pump specifically, could be something else that was played with during its replacement (Inc. Cambelt) but that's what I experienced.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, it is strange also that once the engine gets warmed that rattling dissapears. I guess it has something with the belts.
Also I need to check additionaly this coolant loss as there are no visible signs of leakage but I know there is a small leak somewhere. I guess that garage did only basic check using the pressure so I need to ask them to do the detail inspection (e.g. to check water pump, EGR cooler etc.)

Does the 2.0 TDI not have a timing chain? - that's what it sounds like to me. 

Alternator pulley sprag clutch, AKA one way clutch, roller ramp bearing.

I cant see where I want to look in the video but the belt would be oscillating on its longest length and the tensioner moving back and forth.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

It seems that rattling is caused by the vacuum oil pump until oil temperature reaches 60 degrees. Skoda declares it as a normal behavior caused by the engine construction.

I found it's a common noise also experienced by the other owners of Skoda 2.0 TDI engine, you can find more details in this thread:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Vrlorad said:

It seems that rattling is caused by the vacuum oil pump until oil temperature reaches 60 degrees. Skoda declares it as a normal behavior caused by the engine construction.

I found it's a common noise also experienced by the other owners of Skoda 2.0 TDI engine, you can find more details in this thread:

Yeah, same engine and I have the same noise, it goes away after a few minutes.

• Like 1

I started a post in 2019 about the same type of noise. I had the cambelt changed , but the "rotatating noise" from bottom of engine stayed ...long story short it was the oil /vac pump situated in the sump , nothing to worry about kept the car a few years and never missed a beat.

Here is the original post thread I started. hope this helps 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2024 at 23:12, IulianE said:

is the vacuum pump ,I have it too

What oil do you use 5w30 or 0w30?

I use 5w 30 as stated in the manual if I remember correctly

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/03/2024 at 19:43, Bensupreme said:

I like the way you got loads of stick for your crocs back then @johnny cabbage head but now all the "cool kids" are wearing them!

YEAH SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST A BIT SLOW CATCHING ON TO WHAT LOOKS THE BUSINESS:)