Shifting 1st or 2nd suddenly went more difficult on colder days.

Hi All, 

Asking for ideas about this issue:  my gear shifting on colder days went suddenly more difficult...? 

We are coming out of winter, so there no more -10, -20 days when I found it entirely normal to have a feeling of moving a laddle in cold jam.  (Yeah I had to start and run in about -25, that was interesting. :D But it did start and did take 1st and was able to drive)

A few days ago it was just over 0 degrees (Celsius that is)  and i was surprised to find that 1st and 2nd needed quite a rough hand to get it in gear. 3rd and 4th are considerably lighter. 

After a few kms the gearshifts eased up but it's still weird. 

I have been thinking about engine mounts for some time now as i noticed some 'clunk' when changed torque on the engine. (took gas off or gave big one) 

As far as I know my half shafts are OK, 

Also seeing quite a gap between the cast piece and the rubber frame on the engine mount that's on the left hand side (gearbox to wheelarch) 

Is that normal? Could i be loosing that mount? 

Would my gearshift experience connected in any way? (I'm dubious on that point myself).

Car has 80000kms, so a fubar'd gearbox is probably not a thing. I even doubleclutch usually as I got used to it.

Thanks, 

Z

I'd say it sounds like a 1st,2nd synchro or selector fork issue.

But hopefully not.

Best way to test engine/transmission mounts is just to grab hold of engine and give it a good shake and rag it around, and see how much movement it has. 

The square shaped mount doesn't do too much in way of damping, but it is the one that seems to wear the most.

Edited by R_U_AFA

Not for the sudden change but for generally better gear changes and particularly in cold weather check the oil level in your gearbox and a change of gear oil could be beneficial and changing to a good synthetic gear oil could further improve gear changes particularly on colder days.

I've had much older, and younger, cars than 26 years old and have found changing the gearbox (and rear axle gear oil).  I changed the gear oil in my wife's 2015 Fabia 5-speed manual at 6 years and 38,000-miles and she said it made an improvement and we have been together f..a..r too many decades for her to say anything just to prove me right or please me.

"and we have been together f..a..r too many decades for her to say anything just to prove me right or please me."

:D :D I know the feeling. 

Thanks for the replies! I'll roll it on the pit and take a good look... as soon as the carry is rolled off the pit... :D Apparently i'd need another pit or at least a ramp! 

• Like 1

Many, both sides of 'the pond', for their 1950s (MGA) cars favour Redline gear oil and report good findings and use, I favour more local companies but there are plenty of good gear oils about, as well as the standard and run-of-the-mill stuff to choose from.

Oil 'weight' range can be much debated. attached the leaflet with Redline's point of view (old leaflet now(?)). - 

redline-mtl-redline-mt90.pdf

Edited by nta16
spelling