Dash cam port C on rear view mirror

Hi

I have just received a 2024 Octavia and want to buy a dashcam. I see a lot of dashcams need the 12v cigarette charger but there is none (plus I wouldn't want wires everywhere anyway) and noted the USB C port near the rear view mirror for a dashcam (very forward thinking of Skoda, impressed!)

Question is, is the USB C port all I need  with most dashcams (with a USB C to whatever the dashcam needs) to power it or is there more cables needed?

I don't want to buy a dashcam to find it doesn't work

I have seen the posts for the short cable needed but wasn't sure if this was all that's required

Thanks in advance

Mark

17 minutes ago, MarkyThornton said:

Hi

I have just received a 2024 Octavia and want to buy a dashcam. I see a lot of dashcams need the 12v cigarette charger but there is none (plus I wouldn't want wires everywhere anyway) and noted the USB C port near the rear view mirror for a dashcam (very forward thinking of Skoda, impressed!)

Question is, is the USB C port all I need  with most dashcams (with a USB C to whatever the dashcam needs) to power it or is there more cables needed?

I don't want to buy a dashcam to find it doesn't work

I have seen the posts for the short cable needed but wasn't sure if this was all that's required

Thanks in advance

Mark

That is all you will need as the port supplies the power a Dash Cam requires.  Worth noting power is only ”live” while the ignition is on.  This might be relevant if you like your Dash Cam to be set to parking collision detection setting, whereby the camera will start recording if it detects a knock to your car when it is parked up - this will not work as no power.

Edited by spcdust

This one from Amazon is perfect for mine..  length is ideal with no drooping wire.

0.3m USB C to MICRO USB, OTG cable, charges Micro USB devices, angled plug, data cable, charging cable, USB 2.0 https://amzn.eu/d/1VpXQDGScreenshot_20240331_170005_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ce1efe1ff181e419550b260e542796e3.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DavyN said:

This one from Amazon is perfect for mine..  length is ideal with no drooping wire.

0.3m USB C to MICRO USB, OTG cable, charges Micro USB devices, angled plug, data cable, charging cable, USB 2.0 https://amzn.eu/d/1VpXQDGScreenshot_20240331_170005_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ce1efe1ff181e419550b260e542796e3.jpg

It's still out of stock!! To quote Amazon: "we don't know when or if this item will be back in stock". Searched exhaustively and can't find this exact cable anywhere.

8 hours ago, DavyN said:

Strange... if you click on the link ( in green ) it's showing as in stock 

Strange indeed, no idea what's going on. I've clicked on your link each time I've looked. For some bizarre reason I must be getting a different page, even though it's taken me to Amazon UK as it should. Just for your interest, here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing: 

Screenshot (8351).png

1 hour ago, SouthernComfort said:

Strange indeed, no idea what's going on. I've clicked on your link each time I've looked. For some bizarre reason I must be getting a different page, even though it's taken me to Amazon UK as it should. Just for your interest, here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing: 

Screenshot (8351).png

Your screenshot of the Amazon UK site states 'deliver to Australia'. Pretty sure that's why it's showing not available for you.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, STEV0 said:

Your screenshot of the Amazon UK site states 'deliver to Australia'. Pretty sure that's why it's showing not available for you.

I doubt it. Whenever delivery to our region isn't applicable, which sometimes occurs from foreign Amazon regions, the message is always specific in that context i.e. it wouldn't say the item is "out of stock", or "we don't know if or when the item will be available", it would simply say "delivery unavailable to your region". This particular situation is very odd.

5 minutes ago, SouthernComfort said:

I doubt it. Whenever delivery to our region isn't applicable, which sometimes occurs from foreign Amazon regions, the message is always specific in that context i.e. it wouldn't say the item is "out of stock", or "we don't know if or when the item will be available", it would simply say "delivery unavailable to your region". This particular situation is very odd.

I just set my VPN to Melbourne, and my Amazon location to Australia. The lead is showing as not available.

Switched it all back to UK and it's in stock with next day delivery.

I think that is your answer I'm afraid. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, STEV0 said:

I just set my VPN to Melbourne, and my Amazon location to Australia. The lead is showing as not available.

51 minutes ago, STEV0 said:

Whatever the explanation, I'm actually happy with the cable I have, as I've previously posted. Even if I had decided to go for one of these, I have no other way of procuring it, so I guess I've saved a few bucks! Happy days.

• Like 1

Oh ok, thanks. So if I wanted backup when parked, I would have to run a cable from the 12v in the boot if this is permanently powered? Or is there an easier alternative?

Not got a dashcam yet but just needed to know the possible issues

Cheers

3 hours ago, MarkyThornton said:

Oh ok, thanks. So if I wanted backup when parked, I would have to run a cable from the 12v in the boot if this is permanently powered? Or is there an easier alternative?

Not got a dashcam yet but just needed to know the possible issues

Cheers

I'm sure an auto electrician could fix you up something more permanent. 

Hi newbie here. I have the 1.4 IV and was also impressed with a USB C in the rear view mirror housing. I would just like to add that i had front and rear in my Volvo but the front camera will not power up from this usb c port at all. I have the road angel halo ultra which is the model that will not power up as i believe there is to little current to power it up. 

I have fitted the road angel halo drive which is fine. 

I would just check the power requirements before you take the plunge and buy a FFC. The road angel is a neat and compact unit and sits behind the rear view mirror and with the ucb c to usb c 30cm cable its also very discreet.

Hi again

So, before I buy the dashcam, I have a few more questions please 😊:-

-how easy is it to hide the wires to the rear view cam?

-where is best to mount the rear cam on an estate and get the wire to it! (I've seen the vid with the issues with the rubber grommet)

-for 24 hour monitoring, which wiring kit do I need to buy and is it easy to wire into the fuse box and earth it etc?

-and lastly, any recommended cameras please with parking/reversing option as my car (SE L) does not have a reversing camera as standard (although I'm lead to believe i have to wire it into the reverse light circuit for this?)

Sorry for the overload of questions just want to get it right!

Oh and how the **** do you hang up a phonecall??? 🤣

Mark

-

Hi i have had a couple of makes, I had road hawk for a few good years but recently say a couple of years ago i changed to road angel. In my XC 40 i had this camera in the rear and the road angel halo ultra in the front but as i said the usb c will not power up the ultra model, it also wont from the 2 usb c ports in the centre console nor the one in the rear.

I don't subscribe to the ones with screens in them as i think you are paying for something that isn't really needed. The road angel has Wi-Fi connectivity to view and download clips which is fine for me. i haven't put one in the rear as the car i have wasn't specked with a rear wash wipe which is beyond me lol..

Link to road angel...

https://www.roadangelgroup.com/

Edited by Dazzy49
  • Like 1

Also when i find out how to hang up a phone call i will let you know lol..... I also haven't a clue as i do it different ways every time by luck lol

• Like 1

Lol, really weird oversight with the phone thing! Glad I'm not the only one!

Seems it's pot luck depending what you've got connected at the time, Android Auto etc.....

I think its the left silver roller switch where you press it in to end the call.. I say think lol..

On 31/03/2024 at 17:02, DavyN said:

This is the one I have. It is linked to Garmin Mini 2 which works flawlessly.

• Like 1