Tyre pressure error

Hi , I’m getting “error tyre pressure loss indicator” on the dash. Keep clearing it but it keeps coming back. No loss of pressure , all tyres are same size , no damage to wheels etc.   

what could be the problem please ?

Are all the pressures the same or near same as when set if you check immediately after a warning. As in when tyres are then hot.    A binding brake or bearing on the way out can heat a hub so wheel and make a tyre hot. Higher pressure and more circumference not less like with a puncture.   It does happen sometimes. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes pressures have never changed .  I do hear a bit of light grinding when I brake , could that be anything to do with it ? 

Edited by Benscab

I get that the checked cold pressure has never changed. From when set. 

But if you get a TMPS warning and stopped and feel the wheel carefully could one wheel feel pretty hot.

Or if you checked the pressures might one be higher than the others, or the opposite one.

I just mention this because people say 'False warning' when sometimes it is a timely warning, just not of a puncture, but a binding brake. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Benscab said:

Yes pressures have never changed .  I do hear a bit of light grinding when I brake , could that be anything to do with it ? 

Yes it could be related to what @Rooted suggests.  Have you checked the pressures are all equal?

If no brake rubbing and no issues with pressures, maybe there is an issue with an ABS sensor as that is what supplies the data for TPMS (unless direct).

Tyre pressures do not need to be equal.   You can set front and rear differently, even set an odd pressure.

Once logged it is differences by enough of the circumference being identified. / Flagged.

• Like 2

I’ve had issues in the past where I’d set it then few days later it moaned again despite no leak.

If I remember correctly I had to have the engine running then set, turned it off and set it again and seemed to sort it.

If you’re setting it with the engine off, try what I did. It could have even been the other way round. I just put it down to a software glitch

You have to set it while driving in a straight line, press, hold and wait for the bong.

Whatever made you think that it could be reset at a standstill?

It also cannot be reset after a warning unless the vehicle has been stopped and the ignition switched off, both actions which would be taken by someone visually inspecting the tyres  before resetting the TPMS while driving.

Edited by J.R.
  • Groan 1

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You have to set it while driving in a straight line, press, hold and wait for the bong.

Whatever made you think that it could be reset at a standstill?

It also cannot be reset after a warning unless the vehicle has been stopped and the ignition switched off, both actions which would be taken by someone visually inspecting the tyres  before resetting the TPMS while driving.

Have always reset mine while standing still after inflating and never had an issue in over 5 years .

• Like 3

Agree with Danoid’s experience:

Mine will only reset at standstill.   Message something like “ function not currently available” if I try to reset while moving. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rooted said:

Tyre pressures do not need to be equal.   You can set front and rear differently, even set an odd pressure.

Once logged it is differences by enough of the circumference being identified. / Flagged.

This is true yes. But it's mentally more straightforward to set them the same (or front/back) to ensure they are a good known value. Although the system will work with them at different values it doesn't make sense from a user point of view.

• Like 1

But the point is that when you put a spare wheel on a slightly different size and not even knowing the pressure you can rest the TPMS and then not get a warning.

Not with all. and with the Harldex, maybe a Superb then you might have issues. But that is the wrong size spare issue.

Also ACC, CC might be disabled. Fair enough.

The thing with the Heat is, if you track the car say and the TPMS is set, you might well get a warning, no flat tyre, just one very hot front tyre . 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rooted said:

But the point is that when you put a spare wheel on a slightly different size 

To be honest I'd not thought of that and is a very good point. An outlier situation though. Could be more common than I give credit maybe.

• Like 1

With Indirect TPMS, also known as Tire Pressure Loss Indicator, it uses the ABS sensors to determine each wheel's rotational speed.  

If one of them is off in comparison to the others, it will set of the TPMS alarm.  Usually this equates to 4 psi or more.

It can only do this comparison when the car is moving.

If the pressures r the same, but the tires r worn out differently, it will rotate at a different speed, and may trigger the TPMS.

If the brakes r binding, it will rotate at a different speed, and may trigger the TPMS.

If one of the wheel bearings is worn, it will rotate at a different speed, and may trigger the TPMS.

Hence there r multiple reasons for the TPMS to b upset.

With direct TPMS, which is not available on the Superb, it doesn't rely on the ABS wheel sensors.  Instead it has 4x sensors, one in each wheel, and a TPMS module (receiver).  It measures the actual tire pressure, which gets displayed on screen.

As @MartiniB indicated, there is the option to fit an aftermarket TPMS system, to monitor ur tire pressure live.

in my case - I retrofitted the VW/Skoda TPMS system.

931560277_20210106_181234-COLLAGE2.thumb.jpg.cf451c16e825d1001384c9b5ecc40f94.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

But the point is that when you put a spare wheel on a slightly different size and not even knowing the pressure you can rest the TPMS and then not get a warning.

Not with all. and with the Harldex, maybe a Superb then you might have issues. But that is the wrong size spare issue.

Also ACC, CC might be disabled. Fair enough.

I have the 220 FWD - in the past (when I had indirect TPMS) when I put the 16" spare tyre on the rear, it would upset the TPMS, and disable cruise control, lane assist and front assist.

It knows there is a different sized tire on, so it disables the appropriate assist systems.

@JR RSWhich is why i mentioned the Superb. Because you posted that in the past discussions on TPMS and spares, it was you was it not.

Not only Part Time AWD (Haldex) might have issues then. 

There are Superbs that did get a Emergency Spare really just too different in Total Diameter / Circumference from the 4 tyres / wheels on the car.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Rooted said:

It has to be set when stationary.  that is at a standstill.  Ignition on. 

As was pointed out to @J.R. last time he gave the duff gen. 

Duff gen yourself!!!!!!!!

That is 100% the case on my Yeti, the only way it can be reset, I know this for a fact because in recent weeks the slow puncture had got worse and I was having to do it a couple of times a week, I was visually checking the tyre before getting in and tried several times to reset before moving off, on this vehicle it has to be while driving and may even work while on a curve, I would not try as that is then reliant on another sensor input.

I think my 9 year older MK2 Octavia may have been different though, I know it took a bit of experimentation to find how to turn this one off, the owners manual not being an option 🤣

Editted, it will also not let you reset until after stopping but then you have to drive again to do so.

Edited by J.R.

@J.R.

The OP is posting about a Superb.

I have reset the TPMS on Yeti and done it when the vehicle was stationary.  It can take several miles to register and might even need another attempt.

I read owners manuals and remember what they actually say.

• Like 1

After posting this morning I stopped at the end of the road and you can indeed reset the TPMS at a standstill, questioning my sanity I then tried it on the move and it worked again.

What I am still 100% certain of is that when the warning comes up when driving through deflation it will not allow reset on the move, you have to stop and (the ECU hopes) visually check and then it will let you reset when driving and no doubt as I found this morning also at a standstill.

Which leave me with an enigma, when I do it on the move I have to hold the button down until the wheels have completed a certain amount of revolutions and then the confirmation bong sounds and the light goes out, the faster I am driving the quicker this happens, doing it at a standstill still takes a few seconds then you get the confirmation bong and the light goes out but it cannot possible have registered any new wheel revolution data at a standstill 🥴

7 hours ago, Rooted said:

I read owners manuals and remember what they actually say.

Good for you, I don't and have zero short term memory (brain damage from Malaria) so even if it was my bag baby I would probably not remember what they say