VRS Door Sill Protector - Manufacturing Fault

Hi Members,

I'd like to start this thread to collect photos of faulty door sill protectors/plates. I'm hoping to use these photos as evidence to Skoda that there is widespread manufacturing fault with the polished VRS stainless steel door protectors.

Skoda denied my claim, saying it was fair wear and tare. But I don't think a door sill is fit for purpose if the finish can be rubbed away with my finger.

From various sources I've been told that a clear coat of some kind should have been applied to these at the factory but wasn't. The same thing happened to batch on Skoda Karoq Sportlines delivered in 2021. So far from posts in Facebook groups etc... most people suffering the same issue have 2021 build vehicles.

To make matters worse, I was quoted $795 AUD to per side for replacements without fitment. I've since replaced these with the illuminated versions, but shouldn't have had to. I've kept my old ones and would like to help others to prove they're not alone in having this issue.

If you could post a photo of your fadded/degraded sills, the manufacture year, and milage/kilometres that would be great.

Here is mine:

2021 Skoda Octavia VRS - 20,000kms.

IMG_2943.thumb.JPG.aee2f8a47a8840ab4b727b79029db52d.JPG

IMG_2942.thumb.JPG.73637c9f2fee3522b1b8d6b0b6a738ae.JPG

Welcome. 

Was that Skoda / VW Australia denying your claim?

What are Skoda CZ actually saying and were they even consulted? 

Skoda will not have manufactured them.  Are Skoda CZ not taking seriously that from their supplier might have received parts not to the spec.?  This is if other years, series of cars have ones that are not poorly manufactured. 

PS

Easy job to recolour them and give they a lacquer spraying, but then they are kick strips and someone is scrapping them.

Or sand them off and remove the colour & lacquer them. 

Edited by Rooted

1 hour ago, aaaaplay said:

Hi Members,

I'd like to start this thread to collect photos of faulty door sill protectors/plates. I'm hoping to use these photos as evidence to Skoda that there is widespread manufacturing fault with the polished VRS stainless steel door protectors.

Skoda denied my claim, saying it was fair wear and tare. But I don't think a door sill is fit for purpose if the finish can be rubbed away with my finger.

From various sources I've been told that a clear coat of some kind should have been applied to these at the factory but wasn't. The same thing happened to batch on Skoda Karoq Sportlines delivered in 2021. So far from posts in Facebook groups etc... most people suffering the same issue have 2021 build vehicles.

To make matters worse, I was quoted $795 AUD to per side for replacements without fitment. I've since replaced these with the illuminated versions, but shouldn't have had to. I've kept my old ones and would like to help others to prove they're not alone in having this issue.

If you could post a photo of your fadded/degraded sills, the manufacture year, and milage/kilometres that would be great.

Here is mine:

2021 Skoda Octavia VRS - 20,000kms.

IMG_2943.thumb.JPG.aee2f8a47a8840ab4b727b79029db52d.JPG

IMG_2942.thumb.JPG.73637c9f2fee3522b1b8d6b0b6a738ae.JPG

Sorry you had to go through this. But can you please tell me where you got the illuminated ones and how did you wire it?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rooted said:

Welcome. 

Was that Skoda / VW Australia denying your claim?

What are Skoda CZ actually saying and were they even consulted? 

Skoda will not have manufactured them.  Are Skoda CZ not taking seriously that from their supplier might have received parts not to the spec.?  This is if other years, series of cars have ones that are not poorly manufactured. 

PS

Easy job to recolour them and give they a lacquer spraying, but then they are kick strips and someone is scrapping them.

Or sand them off and remove the colour & lacquer them. 

Škoda Australia (Volkswagen Group Australia) via the local dealer have said it's wear and tear and also that they don't cover paint damage - although I have no written denial. I have no idea on how to get in contact with Škoda CZ and Škoda Australia defer support requests back to whoever your local dealer is.

But I've noticed a fair few people mentioning this issue through Facebook groups, so thought a good way to bring attention to it would be to start taking records of the issue. Then as people make claims they can refer to this thread where hopefully owners will have posted a fair few examples.

1 hour ago, darkmatterink said:

Sorry you had to go through this. But can you please tell me where you got the illuminated ones and how did you wire it?

I installed the genuine illuminated sill protectors are part number 5E3071300. They're not wired in, they powered by button batteries with motion sensors. Unlike the standard sills, they're designed to unclip so that you can replace the battery.

Kopacek have them for sale here: https://www.kopacek.com/Skoda/OCTAVIA-IV/Octavia-IV-original-Skoda-Autoas-interior-door-sills-with-BACKLIGHT

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.9c0ee22ea4bf3618a1ebb512a8dc0864.jpg

Edited by aaaaplay
  • Thanks 1

@aaaaplay  They do cover paint faults under the Paint Warranty,  but not wear and tear on the paint of a protective guard for the cars paint.

A Dealership employee is just the Dealership Employee and the Dealership is your agent as well as Skoda,s.

They can knock back things, but are they The Warranty Manager for that branch.   Their verbals are not worth the paper not written on if they never talked to Skoda.

Anyway.  Stylee shiny painted protective sill guards are hardly 'Simply Clever',  nice when new, but plastic black mat sill protectors makes more sense.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aaaaplay said:

Škoda Australia (Volkswagen Group Australia) via the local dealer have said it's wear and tear and also that they don't cover paint damage - although I have no written denial. I have no idea on how to get in contact with Škoda CZ and Škoda Australia defer support requests back to whoever your local dealer is.

But I've noticed a fair few people mentioning this issue through Facebook groups, so thought a good way to bring attention to it would be to start taking records of the issue. Then as people make claims they can refer to this thread where hopefully owners will have posted a fair few examples.

I installed the genuine illuminated sill protectors are part number 5E3071300. They're not wired in, they powered by button batteries with motion sensors. Unlike the standard sills, they're designed to unclip so that you can replace the battery.

Kopacek have them for sale here: https://www.kopacek.com/Skoda/OCTAVIA-IV/Octavia-IV-original-Skoda-Autoas-interior-door-sills-with-BACKLIGHT

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.9c0ee22ea4bf3618a1ebb512a8dc0864.jpg

Did you fit these without using the fitting template?  They recommend you do but the template costs more than the sill protectors themselves'  Llooking at the video it looks like they would be easy enough to fit without the template guide:

One of the first vRSs i looked at the other month was a 21 plate with 30k miles..... The drivers scuff plate was pretty much totally gone. The state of the front of the car and the scuff plate made me think it had either done stupid miles and had been clocked or had been a company vehicle maybe in the construction industry or motorway mtce etc.... and the driver had been scraping their work boots in and out of the car.

Maybe though it's a problem with certain age vehicles or with scuff plates from a particular supplier/source?

Edited by WaveyDavey

I had a 21-plate VRS and had this issue. Unfortunately, that car was written off but I've now got a 23-plate... issue no longer present

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WaveyDavey said:

One of the first vRSs i looked at the other month was a 21 plate with 30k miles..... The drivers scuff plate was pretty much totally gone. The state of the front of the car and the scuff plate made me think it had either done stupid miles and had been clocked or had been a company vehicle maybe in the construction industry or motorway mtce etc.... and the driver had been scraping their work boots in and out of the car.

Maybe though it's a problem with certain age vehicles or with scuff plates from a particular supplier/source?

8 hours ago, MrOlympic said:

I had a 21-plate VRS and had this issue. Unfortunately, that car was written off but I've now got a 23-plate... issue no longer present

Both of your accounts back up my thinking that it's an issue with 2021 built Octavia VRS sill plates.

Feedback indicates the same design of sill plate is not an issue on 2022 and newer vehicles.

The painted section is also recessed, so it makes it very difficult to actually scuff it with your foot as you get in and out. In my instance, you could literally rub away the finish with your finger.

The image below is from a 2023 Octavia VRS and the finish appears a lot glossier and colour red deeper which would indicate a clear coat type of finish.

IMG_3132.jpeg

Just my 2 cents worth: Since they have obviously seen fit to 'modify' the design/finish from '22 on, it virtually suggests Skoda's admission that the earlier ones were substandard. For the sheer principal of it if nothing else, it would be worth taking it further imho. As for the dealer / Skoda Aus buck passing, it's classic avoidance behaviour, surely hoping the hapless customer eventually gives up. I had a similar experience with another brand and their dealerships, a not uncommon industry tactic methinks!

• Like 1

1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136kW Twincharger engines 2009-2012 had Fundamental Design, manufacturing or material faults and were discontinued and then built with different parts and software.  

No comeback for anyone that has one on the 2009-2012 ones. Maybe a rebuild or replacement engine while in warranty, but once that Manufacturers warranty expires you are stuffed.  They as in VW Group never accepted there were or are issues.

DQ200,s 2009-2012,  A Global Recall which excluded Europe. 4.6 Million DQ200,s.

The synthetic oil changed to mineral & a software update. In New Zealand where there were only a few hundred they all got a new MCU.

In China and a few other world regions they got a 100,000 mile / 10 year warranty.

In Australia you have had 3 recalls now.

In Europe eventually by 2014 a Service Campaign.   Then in 2017 anther Service Campaign on 2013-2015 ones, Accuators, MCU,s leak etc.  VW do no admit to Fundamental Design, Manufacturing or material issues.

1.8 TSI - 2.0 TSI Euro 5 issues, zero.  1.5 TSI ACT from WLTP certification time issues,  if you still have a sh!te one tough.

At least Australia has the Lemon law. 

3 hours ago, SouthernComfort said:

Just my 2 cents worth: Since they have obviously seen fit to 'modify' the design/finish from '22 on, it virtually suggests Skoda's admission that the earlier ones were substandard. For the sheer principal of it if nothing else, it would be worth taking it further imho. As for the dealer / Skoda Aus buck passing, it's classic avoidance behaviour, surely hoping the hapless customer eventually gives up. I had a similar experience with another brand and their dealerships, a not uncommon industry tactic methinks!

The design isn't modified, rather made without fault. The part number has remained unchanged/has had no revisions.

50 minutes ago, Rooted said:

1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136kW Twincharger engines 2009-2012 had Fundamental Design, manufacturing or material faults and were discontinued and then built with different parts and software.  

No comeback for anyone that has one on the 2009-2012 ones. Maybe a rebuild or replacement engine while in warranty, but once that Manufacturers warranty expires you are stuffed.  They as in VW Group never accepted there were or are issues.

DQ200,s 2009-2012,  A Global Recall which excluded Europe. 4.6 Million DQ200,s.

The synthetic oil changed to mineral & a software update. In New Zealand where there were only a few hundred they all got a new MCU.

In China and a few other world regions they got a 100,000 mile / 10 year warranty.

In Australia you have had 3 recalls now.

In Europe eventually by 2014 a Service Campaign.   Then in 2017 anther Service Campaign on 2013-2015 ones, Accuators, MCU,s leak etc.  VW do no admit to Fundamental Design, Manufacturing or material issues.

1.8 TSI - 2.0 TSI Euro 5 issues, zero.  1.5 TSI ACT from WLTP certification time issues,  if you still have a sh!te one tough.

At least Australia has the Lemon law. 

We have consumer protections but no 'Lemon Law' per se. Those protections often have exceptions when it comes to cars as well. The protections are nothing like what the US has.

Most of protections are based around goods being fit for purpose, what a reasonable life expectancy would be, and minor vs major faults. In this instance it would be a minor fault - so it would be unreasonable to expect Skoda to take the vehicle back. But it is reasonable to expect them to fix the fault.

• Like 1

Semantics?? If the finish is different and now seemingly without fault as described above, the manufacturing is modified to achieve this in my book. Doesn't matter, the point is, earlier versions are clearly defective and therefore unacceptable.

55 minutes ago, SouthernComfort said:

Semantics?? If the finish is different and now seemingly without fault as described above, the manufacturing is modified to achieve this in my book. Doesn't matter, the point is, earlier versions are clearly defective and therefore unacceptable.

Semantics matter when it comes to warranty claims. As It has been said to me from various sources, it's a bad batch.

Someone at the factory was supposed to put a clear coat on and it didn't. It's the difference between a fault vs design flaw.

To circle back to @Rooted point that Volkswagen Group doesn't take responsibility for flawed designs, that's why fault vs design flaw matters.

• Like 1

Get Skoda CZ to confirm that these Protective Sill Plates should have had a Lacquer coating and that they do not.

They are a 'wear item'.

Unlike the Diamond cut wheels that got 'white worm' and some got replaced and some did not.  Environment damage / use / chips, scratches. coating breached.

Or the Wheel Trim centre of Skoda badges that corroded. Some replaced, some not, some people never asked and never got.

My 8 month MINI (7,000 miles) that was in the showroom for 3 months before i got it still has the protective delivery covering on because the Dealer never removed it and neither did i as i know how scuffed they would get. The car gets used hard as a car and feet scuff the sill plates.  Even though i only have one foot.

Shiny and nice needs protected.   Aluminium needs protected, but the Sill Plates are not Aluminium are they.     

Protecting the protection. 

When the car is at Auction or back in a dealers for sale it might have shiny like new Sill plates.

Skoda Dealerships getting in used 2021 cars know if the plates look like crap or not and know if they replace them or leave as is.

(I used to be a car sprayer, refinisher and did warranty inspections, reports and repairs.)

DSC_1116.JPG

DSC_1117.JPG

Edited by Rooted

1 hour ago, aaaaplay said:

Semantics matter when it comes to warranty claims. As It has been said to me from various sources, it's a bad batch.

Someone at the factory was supposed to put a clear coat on and it didn't. It's the difference between a fault vs design flaw.

To circle back to @Rooted point that Volkswagen Group doesn't take responsibility for flawed designs, that's why fault vs design flaw matters.

Ok, now we know it was an error by a factory operative? Details certainly matter.

@aaaaplay  Who were these people and what position do they hold in the VW Group or what qualifications have they as far as the manufacturing of the components?

Do you have in writing from them that it 'was a bad batch'?

Great if you have. 

Just get Skoda / VW to accept that it was, or take an action against them if there is proof they were building the cars and using parts which were manufactured not as they had specified. 

Sometimes just being a PITA is enough to get parts replaced Free Gratis.

With the Zinc Inclusion manufacturing issues they must have been able to trace to which shifts and employees were working when the vehicles with the issue were manufactured.

Not that they were prepared to accept they built lemons that they should have bought back if an owner then was landed with one. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, SouthernComfort said:

Ok, now we know it was an error by a factory operative? Details certainly matter.

12 hours ago, Rooted said:

@aaaaplay  Who were these people and what position do they hold in the VW Group or what qualifications have they as far as the manufacturing of the components?

Do you have in writing from them that it 'was a bad batch'?

Great if you have. 

Just get Skoda / VW to accept that it was, or take an action against them if there is proof they were building the cars and using parts which were manufactured not as they had specified. 

Sometimes just being a PITA is enough to get parts replaced Free Gratis.

With the Zinc Inclusion manufacturing issues they must have been able to trace to which shifts and employees were working when the vehicles with the issue were manufactured.

Not that they were prepared to accept they built lemons that they should have bought back if an owner then was landed with one. 

I can't give out specifics that would identify them - at their request. They're both working high up in dealers in Australia.

I was told Skoda Australia were aware of this issue and replacements have been carried out previously. The same supplier messed up a batch of 2021 Karoq Sportline sill plates (similar design) which had been replaced under warranty.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aaaaplay said:

I can't give out specifics that would identify them - at their request. They're both working high up in dealers in Australia.

I was told Skoda Australia were aware of this issue and replacements have been carried out previously. The same supplier messed up a batch of 2021 Karoq Sportline sill plates (similar design) which had been replaced under warranty.

Well if you're already armed with that info, good luck with the claim.

• Like 1

@aaaaplay  That is fantastic then, Car sales Executives or is that Master Techs, or a Warranty Manager.

If Skoda Dealerships managed to get replacement sill guards at no cost to them to put on sales cars, or other owners cars then winner winner chicken diner.

The problem is at Dealerships if their lips move they can be telling porkies. 

870001910_Screenshot2023-01-0913_33_56.jpg.1f280cf19f68232da039c11a127bd6d9.jpg.a02b7415a1d5cff37ee0c9d7500d24af.jpg.b26ae1b79efb9a644618f03f79d1fbb3.jpg

Perhaps just to add, on my 2021 Octavia vRS with this problem, the dealer replaced them free of charge. 

23 hours ago, Pete said:

Perhaps just to add, on my 2021 Octavia vRS with this problem, the dealer replaced them free of charge. 

Same here. 1st originals “melted”. No harsh ph. chemicals of whatsoever used when washing car…

atm. replaced(under warranty) sills have lasted ok!