Any one from New Zealand here?

Thinking about buying an Octavia...probably a Style at the moment, even though I really like the RS at test drive (I am still a bit concerned about the DSG gearbox in the RS and its higher fuel consumption - the Style has an Aisin 8-speed AT which I am more accustomed to and the consumption is only 6.2L/100km).

If you are in New Zealand, how do you find the after sale service here? What about the regular servicing? Did you buy the service plan and if so do you have to pay extra at servicing? If not, how much is the servicing without the plan? Is the cost reasonable?  If you have had problem with your Octavia or other Skoda models, what has been your experience with the Skoda dealer / service / repair here -- esp in Auckland?

Thank!

Edited by HenryNZ
spelling

Welcome.

Hopefully someone from NZ will be along shortly.

What Engine does the vRS have a 2.0 TSI and a DQ381 DSG?

Is the Style a 1.4TSI with the 8 speed Automatic?   What year of car?

Both style and RS I am choosing between are the current 2024 offering. These are the only ones available in NZ since ambition has been dropped. The Style is a 1.4 TSI with 8 speed AT and the RS is a 2.0 TSI with 7-speed DSG but the exact model was not specified anywhere. 

Totally different then. 

Sadly if a DQ381 7 Speed Wet Clutch with the RS the Service Schedule is at 80,000 still according to VW Group.

That might be reduced considering the growing number have issues with these DSG, particularly the MCU,s.  Time will tell.

As long as the Warranty is covering it.    If anyone at a dealers says never heard of issues that might be because they are deaf. 

You do get treated better in NZ than the Rest of World.

Back in 2012 when there was a Global Recall on DQ200,s and that Excluded Europe as VW tell Europe what to do, there was a Recall / Service Campaign in NZ and all cars with a DQ200 got new MCU,s.

Rest of World, Synthetic oil change to mineral and a software update.  So regions a 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty.

EU / UK / Europe, nowt till 2014 & that was not a Recall, just a service campaign, Oil & Software.  No Warranty extension. 

585848287_Screenshot2022-12-2814_19_08.jpg.a622554865cd35b0aa0635744f07aef0.jpg.10683be14f7ddf7785066f2b79647582.jpg.eb91574b580b0acdf9bc903e2a5e61a3.jpg.ca2ec73ea5a51a2981e706f38a534cbf.jpg

1834448921_Screenshot2021-09-26at15_11_38.jpg.9096289fe25276182dcd7ffd2631377b.jpg.372fc328a1312e2a8e37a703a5c24a3f.jpg.e5c19f7392af7e2404069076b4a3daed.jpg.3438d86c1009673b8b5ec8c310879d69.jpg

Edited by Rooted

Thank you Rooted for the info. I will check with the dealer which DSG the vRS is equipped with and what service interval it has in New Zealand. What kind of problems are people reporting of the DQ381 (assuming this is what the vRS has) and how often do they run into trouble? Is it as bad as the DQ200?  Is the problem completely eliminated with more frequent oil change? The question I have, is whether I should  avoid the vRS and go for the Style?  I test drove both and found the Style "ok" / powerful enough but preferred the vRS's almost instantaneous power. 

Welcome Henry  :hi:

Our Rob might be from your neck of the woods:

Is the Aisin AT more economical than a DSG?  Like for like I'd be surprised (not the first time!), but between a 1.4 and a 2.0 I could understand it, although that's comparing pears and apples.

Sadly, I agree with Rooted that there seems to be a growing number of reports about problems with the DQ381 and its associated bits.

Gaz

Welcome to the forum. Not NZ, but close enough! You get the same models in NZ as we have here in AU. I have a fully optioned Style (1.4L with Aisin 8sp) and I have to say it's a fabulous car. The motor is very punchy, the pickup on overtaking is amazing. I came from a 1.4L 7sp DSG Golf so I was used to (the same) engine, plenty powerful enough everywhere you want to go. The 8sp is a great cruiser on long distances. Personally I wouldn't go back to a DSG, I find the Aisin box is smoother, especially at low speeds and it seems to know it's own mind (so to speak) whereas I felt the DSG was twitchy in deciding which gear it needed to be in. Even though I have every factory option (tech & lux packs, pan sunroof etc etc.) the equivalent vRS would have cost me $15k more at the time of purchase. For me, the Style was a no-brainer. I can't comment on your dealer situation in NZ however I've had no issues here, although only the first service completed so far.

....a couple of points I should add: I didn't take the service plan and I've never done so in the past. The individual dealer services cost slightly more than they would on the plan and are also subject to increase year on year, but I'm not one to lock myself into fixed plans. I have a good independent VW/Audi/Skoda mechanic who I may turn to even before the 7yrs warranty is up, so I'm reserving that option. My consumption is around 5L/100km on long highway runs, 6-7 urban on 98RON

5 hours ago, HenryNZ said:

Thank you Rooted for the info. I will check with the dealer which DSG the vRS is equipped with and what service interval it has in New Zealand. What kind of problems are people reporting of the DQ381 (assuming this is what the vRS has) and how often do they run into trouble? Is it as bad as the DQ200?  Is the problem completely eliminated with more frequent oil change? The question I have, is whether I should  avoid the vRS and go for the Style?  I test drove both and found the Style "ok" / powerful enough but preferred the vRS's almost instantaneous power. 

Welcome on board!

Which part of NZ are you located in?  Dealer service in Christchurch has been alright so far - I've had mine in for a rattly driver's door trim apart from the first service.

I've had my vRS for slightly over a year now with about 11,000 km on it - I don't drive as much as I used to as I am in my so called golden years and not working full-time any more.

Service intervals for the vRS are 12 months/15,000 km, whichever occurs first - I don't think the Style will be different.

I have bought the service plan for five years - at the time of purchase, it was advised that it is transferable, should I decide to walk away from the car before then.

The vRS gets me between 11 - 13.3 km/l in mixed driving.

Regardless of your model choice, enjoy your ride.

The facelift models are expected to hit the country toward the end of this year for release early in 2025.

Thanks SouthernComfort and CKO. 
I am based in Auckland, so have two dealers to choose from, but imagine they would be on par. 

I have checked with the dealer the gearbox in the RS is indeed the 381. The service interval is 60,000km. The first service is included in the 5 year service plan but is not included if one opts for the 3 year service plan. 

@HenryNZ  Either VW / Skoda have changed the Schedule / Guidelines for Oil Changes of DQ381, or who gave you the information does not know what a DQ381 DSG is and is going by the Servicing of DQ250,s or DQ400-e,s

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/514055-karoq-7-speed-dsg-fault-4x4

This is an issue with people and places that customers trust to get accurate information from and servicing and maintenance.

Always get stuff in writing and their name and job title, and signed,

Email reply from the salesman: “the vRS is using a DQ381 transmission, service is every 60K generally unless otherwise stated by time. A DSG service is included in the price if you go for the 5-year service plan. If you go for the 3-year service plan, then you’ll have to cover the costs.”

I note 60,000 km is about 40,000 miles; perhaps they have changed the servicing interval here to 40,000 miles? Are the megatronic faults related to service frequency? If one is to service DSG more frequently, will it reduce the risk of the reported faults?

• Thanks 1

The DSG boxes are really an automated manual with two clutches, so when accelerating the next gear is already selected and the change is almost instant. Also because the drive from engine to wheel is direct it is slightly more economical than a torque converter around town where there is more 'slurring' especially between gear changes. Modern multi-speed torque converters are far more efficient than the old 4 speed boxes though.

The dq200 incorrectly specified oil issues some years back were a problem primarily in hot and humid countries but no longer relevant in a new car but it did their reputation a lot of harm at the time. 

The dq200 is used in the Fabia and Scala sold in Aus and NZ and is fine as long as the driver does not drive them like a torque converter and burn out the dry clutch packs by lightly pressing the brake and riding the clutch for long periods of time.

The wet clutch packs in the dq381 are far more durable and can handle that sort of abuse.

A point not mentioned so far is that the 1.4tsi has a simple torsion bar rear suspension while the RS has superior independent rear suspension.

I think the cheaper rear system is pretty good for its type but that is not an opinion shared by all.

The smaller engine will be noticeably more economical than the 2.0tsi

Also variations in service requirements are not uncommon between countries.

Edited by Gerrycan

@HenryNZ  Thanks. So the Salesman needs to 'Phone a friend',  and DSG,s have never had servicing Schedules , Guidelines, Recommendations or Advice on Servicing by time.

It was just Service Charts that lead people to think of at 4 years / 40,000 miles / 60,000 km. 

922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736.jpg.21c56214570b3b8eaaead2f264478d06.jpg

1168293554_37335614_Screenshot2021-09-14at07_38_18(3).webp.ee5b8a609f78b3b2f42441d7532010fa.webp.ebf7990f1abbbbb9da617375ac14cad7.webp

Edited by Rooted

2 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

The DSG boxes are really an automated manual with two clutches, so when accelerating the next gear is already selected and the change is almost instant.

Correct but an oversimplification, there are twin layshafts carrying alternate (numerical) gears, you could liken it to two gearboxes one for 1st, 3rd and 5th gears the other for 2nd, 4th and 6th, a gearchange consists of declutching the active layshaft and engaging the clutch on the other layshaft with the preselected gear so very fast and very smooth aside from when maintaining a  cruising speed in an intermediate gear when the ECU has a 50/50 guess to make as to whether the next gearchange needs to be an up or downshift.

• Like 1

& they are fabulous.   But the wet clutch ones have the same oil in the box and the ECU and really changing a filter seems to be just 'Simply Clever' and 40,000 miles oil changes. 

(Audi say 38,000 miles.)

The 80,000 Schedule on DQ381,s are making no differences because MCU,s have needed to be replaced on more and more long before even 40,000 miles has been covered.

Plenty people offering MCU repairs rather than Replacement.     Lets see in the coming years if VW have yet again ba-llsed things up.

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

Correct but an oversimplification, there are twin layshafts carrying alternate (numerical) gears, you could liken it to two gearboxes one for 1st, 3rd and 5th gears the other for 2nd, 4th and 6th, a gearchange consists of declutching the active layshaft and engaging the clutch on the other layshaft with the preselected gear so very fast and very smooth aside from when maintaining a  cruising speed in an intermediate gear when the ECU has a 50/50 guess to make as to whether the next gearchange needs to be an up or downshift.

Sorry, I'll remember to undersimplify it next time :) 

@HenryNZ, what he said

Edited by Gerrycan

@Gerrycan  The Oil & hotter & humid climes stuff from VW concerning the DQ200 was guff.  

There are climates in Europe that can be much like in NZ where all the 'few hundred' vehicles got a new MCU.

After 2012 on came the issue that needed '34H4' because of heat / pressure and leaking DSG,s 2013-2015.

That Recalls are repeated in Australia and are up to 2016 on some DQ200,s.

The 1.4 TSI with a 8 speed Automatic in North America, NZ, Australia and other World Regions are because they are not in Europe / EU where they would not be anygood for the VW Group and WLTP / RDE2 figures.  

A Great engine / gearbox combination though.    Here they had to have the 1.4 TSI with ACT, and now a 1.4 TSI as a PHEV to get the emission figures.

Before the WLTP came in the emissions testing of 1.4 TSI,s even as a plug in were 'Implausable'.  Fuddle not Fiddle according to VW group. 

As to DQ200,s and 1.5 TSI,s so after 2016, still some issues.  

2015 - 2018, some with issues, Software Updates and Clutch Updates were carried out.    (VW Group have DQ200,s in 2.0 TDI,s but only ones with a max 115 ps) 

Screenshot 2024-04-22 13.06.43.png

Screenshot 2024-04-22 13.07.44.png

Screenshot 2024-04-22 13.08.00.png

Edited by Rooted

I think you will find the 1.4TSI gives you more than enough power - I normally prefer manual box, but have driven a Canadian 1.4 Passat with the Aisin 8-speed and I liked it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HenryNZ said:

So in summary unless I really need the power and speed that is the RS, the 1.4TSI/8AT is a better (safer) bet without losing much? Am I right?

The thing with the 1.4tsi is that the nominal peak 250Nm of torque comes in from just above 1500 rpm to nearly 4000 rpm and the mk4 weighs about 1400kg so acceleration to 100kph is a reasonable 8.5 seconds. No ball of fire but 250 Nm is enough for me to overtake safely even when the vehicle is loaded. Sure the RS would be much quicker (under 7 seconds) but it would be wasted on me because I don't drive the 1.4tsi anywhere near its potential on public roads anyway.

Most (Australian) reviews rate the 8 speed torque converter as being a better drive in traffic than a dsg. 

@SouthernComfort is getting pretty good consumption in his mk4 especially on a run which is not surprising as his mk4 has better aero than my mk3 and probably longer gearing in his auto than my early model manual. I can guarantee you would not get that sort of consumption in an RS, maybe 6 to 6.5L/100 on a highway and around 8 to 8.5L/100 in urban areas, which is still not bad although there would be great temptations to use a bit more welly :) with possible speeding fines 😞.

All you can do is drive both cars and work out whether the RS is worth the NZ$10+k price difference for you.

I'm not sure what the NZ warranty period is, it is 7 years here in AUS so yours would be at least 5 years, you would think that would cover any problems with the dq381 during your ownership?

• Like 2

For NZ driving, I would say the RS will shine when overtaking other cars on the countryside South island highways where it's mostly 1 lane per direction.

Off topic a bit - I am doing a road trip in South Island on a rental Tesla. The torque is similar to my personal Octavia RS back at home - it's useful when I need brief burst of speed (up till 140~km/h) for overtaking other cars. 

The price difference between the Style and RS is NZ$8000 (about AU$7300 or GBP 3800), so it does not seem as much as mentioned above. By paying that difference one gets a more powerful engine (2.0T 180kW vs 1.4T 110kW) paired with different gearbox (8sp AT vs DQ381 DSG), and one also gets an upgraded rear suspension, front diff lock, matrix head light, 1 inch larger alloy wheels and RS styling e.g. seats etc. The amount of kits  for that extra cost is VERY attractive.

In the past 15 years I have been driving the stereotypical reliable but boring Japanese cars due to my young family. Perhaps it is a midlife crisis, or perhaps because the kids are now older and I don't have to worry about fitting three car seats in the back row or having to taxi the kids everywhere, I really want to treat myself a car with better driving experience whilst still having the space and not breaking my bank. To this end, I have set eye on the Octavia accepting that being a VAG car it will probably be less reliable than my current soulless Toyota/Honda. It is perhaps for this same reason my heart really desires a RS over the Style.

Having said that, I fully admit that I will very rarely need the kind of power that is in the RS considering how I have been driving in the past 15 years. The primary uses of the car will still be as a daily commuter to work and occasionally longer road trips between towns, so whilst it may not be as reliable my current Japanese car it still need to work most of the time. The reported problems with the. DQ381 are really giving me pause.

As you can see, I am still rather torn between the Style and the RS. 😔

• Like 1

A couple of thoughts spring to mind. Pro's and con's will always have you torn, the heart vs. the head is a tricky conundrum. All I can say is, as far as power goes (mid range overtaking power particularly), don't underestimate the Style's 1.4 turbo, it has seriously surprised me (in both the Octavia and previous Golf) on the occasions I've needed it most, stick your foot down and it shifts even in D, I rarely use Sport. The RS may launch you into space, but the 1.4 (1.9 secs longer 0-100kph) will keep you as safe as you need to be on earth.

19in wheels are standard on the RS, but 18in is regarded by many as the sweet spot. The lower profile tyres on the 19's will give you a harsher ride on anything other than super smooth highways. So your typical driving environment will be relevant.

NZ pricing must must different to ours in AU. When I bought my Style in Jan '23 with all it's factory options, including many of the things you've listed for the RS, it was offered at A$53k. The RS with all its gear (but still without some of my options) was offered at A$64k. I did some negotiating and ended up paying A$49k drive away i.e. A$15k less than the RS. Made the decision easy for me, but I can see your point if you've narrowed that difference and feel it's worth the outlay.

Best wishes with whatever decision you make, have fun and keep us posted!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EldridChapman said:

For NZ driving, I would say the RS will shine when overtaking other cars on the countryside South island highways where it's mostly 1 lane per direction.

Off topic a bit - I am doing a road trip in South Island on a rental Tesla. The torque is similar to my personal Octavia RS back at home - it's useful when I need brief burst of speed (up till 140~km/h) for overtaking other cars. 

Don't let the cops get you.  They're much stricter on speeding nowadays than five years ago.

• Haha 1