Qi 15w wireless charger

8 hours ago, Novascape said:

Not got the built in charger. 

After a pad that will fit in the space, plug in via USB c that can provide 15w

Well if you change your mind, they sell it with a retrofit cable.

Screenshot2024-04-23at5_44_09pm.thumb.png.5a33fdf5003c0ed661185c013debbd11.png

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006339527179.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.3.577axkKPxkKP99&algo_pvid=7bc9fea7-e998-4d48-b0a5-1ae7e2790eba&algo_exp_id=7bc9fea7-e998-4d48-b0a5-1ae7e2790eba-1&pdp_npi=4%40dis!AUD!200.62!100.31!!!924.50!462.25!%402101c72a17138581485891779e0612!12000036816795454!sea!AU!1836996802!&curPageLogUid=J9jHs4HzcuwZ&utparam-url=scene%3Asearch|query_from%3A

Otherwise, checkout this thread for more info on the adhoc stuff that you're after.

10 hours ago, Novascape said:

Hi all,

Anyone found a qi 15watt charge pad that fits in centre console that operates from one of the usb c ports.

Seen a 3d printed one but it's not 15w power.

Thx

I believe the wattage is limited by the output of USB-C port in the car so I guess even if you got a 15 Watt capable device it would only give an output of around 7-8 Watts.

40 minutes ago, Novascape said:

Isn't the wattage for the current mk4 usb-c 15w? And the new face-lift will have 40w

Happy to be corrected but I thought hard wired it’s 15 Watts but via the actual USB port, the wattage is lower.

Honestly, don't take that as gospel as I likely picked that information up from some forum source

Edited by spcdust

I ordered one of these from Amazon, fits a treat although I don't get loads of charge but enough to keep my phone topped up, it did work well from a wall socket so could be the car USB hasn't that much power. I went for the 30cm cable option.

Wireless Car Charger Pad, REESTECQI 15W Car Wireless Charger Pad Non Slip Wireless Charging Pad

71yAffN9MkL._AC_SX425_.jpg

• Like 1

Just ordered this one from AliExpress.  If you do it as a first order it comes to 99p delivered, otherwise it's  £8.52 if not your first order,  I already have a Magsafe disc in the car so ordered this one more out of curiosity

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006783744838.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.95dc1802c0QMzb

Edited by spcdust
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, spcdust said:

Just ordered this one from AliExpress.  If you do it as a first order it comes to 99p delivered, otherwise it's  £8.52 if not your first order,  I already have a Magsafe disc in the car so ordered this one more out of curiosity

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006783744838.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.95dc1802c0QMzb

You do realise that you're going to need an adapter to get it to work, as it comes with the old style USB A connector.

41 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

You do realise that you're going to need an adapter to get it to work, as it comes with the old style USB A connector.

Just double-checked under the specifications tab and it states it's a Type C USB connector, although you can never be 100% sure with Ali Express.

Capture.JPG

Edited by spcdust

5 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

You'll just have to wait and see what arrives.

As it's supposedly rated at 30 Watts charge I'm hopeful that it's USB-C as I believe USB-A is limited to 18 Watts.  Either way, it's 99p and I'll find a use for it as not even sure I'll have it in the car.

• Like 2

On 26/04/2024 at 16:02, PawmMag said:

I ordered one of these from Amazon, fits a treat although I don't get loads of charge but enough to keep my phone topped up, it did work well from a wall socket so could be the car USB hasn't that much power. I went for the 30cm cable option.

Wireless Car Charger Pad, REESTECQI 15W Car Wireless Charger Pad Non Slip Wireless Charging Pad

71yAffN9MkL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Just ordered this myself..... I have Prime so I get little discount tick boxes when ordering things every so often and this item had one so I got 20% off and paid £15.96 for it delivered tomorrow. :) 

Am I right in thinking those 2 USB-C ports are both switched live? I just don't fancy leaving it plugged in all the time if they are going to be powering it constantly in case it ever goes faulty and sets fire to the car etc......

Edited by WaveyDavey

1 hour ago, WaveyDavey said:

Just ordered this myself..... I have Prime so I get little discount tick boxes when ordering things every so often and this item had one so I got 20% off and paid £15.96 for it delivered tomorrow. :) 

Am I right in thinking those 2 USB-C ports are both switched live? I just don't fancy leaving it plugged in all the time if they are going to be powering it constantly in case it ever goes faulty and sets fire to the car etc......

Don't really know for sure about if the ports are switched live. All I can tell you is when you turn the car on the LED on the charger goes red, if you charge a phone it goes blue and when you turn the car off the LED goes out. Best carry a fire extinguisher just in case 🙂 

2 hours ago, PawmMag said:

Don't really know for sure about if the ports are switched live. All I can tell you is when you turn the car on the LED on the charger goes red, if you charge a phone it goes blue and when you turn the car off the LED goes out. Best carry a fire extinguisher just in case 🙂 

Well if the LED goes out when the car is not in use then it’s obviously switched live….. I.E. it switches on/off with the car rather than being permanent live. 👍🏼😉

That’ll do for me. 👍🏼

Edited by WaveyDavey

The wireless charger mentioned above arrived from Amazon today. Not sure if it’s just because of me having an iPhone 14 Pro with its prominent cameras on the back but once I put the charger in the cubby hole and then put the phone on it nothing happens unless I take the whole thing out put the phone on while I hold the charger flat so it starts charging then place it all back into the cubby hole again. 

I also found that the “little box section” that is part way along the cable got extremely hot in the few minutes I had the phone charging which was rather worrying. 

I’ve returned it for full refund and think I’ll just stick with having to plug it in when on long journeys rather than going for the wireless charger. 

Just get one that mounts on the dashboard or Brodit clip. 

Loads of them available to choose. Look on TEMU or AliExpress. 

I have an Aukey one that sits on a disc on the dashboard, OK it's not the perfect solution but better than nothing and it sits neatly behind the infotainment screen. 

You can even get a small ball mount and attach the charger head to it. 

• Like 1

Just now, TheWanderer said:

Just get one that mounts on the dashboard or Brodit clip. 

Loads of them available to choose. Look on TEMU or AliExpress. 

I have an Aukey one that sits on a disc on the dashboard, OK it's not the perfect solution but better than nothing and it sits neatly behind the infotainment screen. 

You can even get a small ball mount and attach the charger head to it. 

I like the uncluttered look so don’t want anything attached to vents or dash. 

The idea of getting a wireless charger that fits in the cubby was the only option I was after other than using the short 25cm cable I have. 

It’s just a shame the wireless charging pad wasn’t added as standard on the vRS as it is in the GTi and Cupra etc…..

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WaveyDavey said:

I like the uncluttered look so don’t want anything attached to vents or dash. 

The idea of getting a wireless charger that fits in the cubby was the only option I was after other than using the short 25cm cable I have. 

It’s just a shame the wireless charging pad wasn’t added as standard on the vRS as it is in the GTi and Cupra etc…..

Currently, I have this in my Octavia, it's not a pad but works well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09KZQW6DL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max and have a feeling any pad might not quite work due to the phone size (I got the guy who 3D prints the pads to try and he reported back that although it worked you couldn't just drop it on, you had to angle it in a specific way) so I ordered the 99p one from AliExpress to see if it might work but not hopeful.

Edited by spcdust
  • Like 1