Spare Wheel (again)

Hopefully getting a nearly new (ex demonstrator) Kamiq Monte Carlo next week (1.5 TSI Manual), which comes with the 18 inch Vega wheels and no spare.

I have suffered a fair few punctures over my many years of motoring and have always had a spare wheel. The official Skoda spare wheel kit is not currently available (back order, no idea when it might come) and is a space saver anyway, I'd rather have something that doesn't restrict me to 50mph, because inevitably when a puncture occurs it will be a long way from home at a time when tyre places aren't open.

I've read the various other Spare Wheel threads on here where there is suggestion that the 18 inch wheel/tyre (215/45 R 18) won't actually fit in the spare wheel well, but there seems to be no definitive answer on this - can someone confirm does it fit or not?

Also, what are the options, what should I buy? Previous cars, I've just bought a matching alloy and full size tyre, but I suspect the Vega alloys will be silly money if you can even get just one! And as above, don't want to then find it won't actually fit in the wheel well.

Advice please, as I won't be happy driving anywhere in it until I've got a spare wheel sorted.

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

The space in the wheel well is very tight even around the space saver its designed for. So 18" is not going to work without bottoming out and sitting proud and even then there is a chance it's going to wedge itself in. Just not worth the hassle when you need not space or when you need to replace a wheel at the road side in my opinion.

I'd live with the compressor/gunk and a repair kit until you can order the proper spare.

What about this? Not cheap

https://www.caffynscarparts.com/skoda-kamiq-spare-wheel-kit-1850-p.asp?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwupGyBhBBEiwA0UcqaCR6GrhMf5KhRXd5u88tASUOmG0PYbcERKMx5rhBz6ssfKnPQiyLghoCuOAQAvD_BwE

Otherwise add something like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303506971578?chn=ps&_ul=GB&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1yqKkwCn9Rh2P7WGQ2QSPfA58&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=303506971578&targetid=1816181029899&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006693&poi=&campaignid=19090194174&mkgroupid=147009364227&rlsatarget=pla-1816181029899&abcId=9303860&merchantid=137612865&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD_Lr1c-xu_gIhSSTr9a785a8fxWP&gclid=CjwKCAjwupGyBhBBEiwA0UcqaAEw7osphIhzyoDJqEFLYZoxIfPIHICHl8VogmsDrNmhbLj86rDPwBoCNUgQAvD_BwE

Edited by Stoker

11 hours ago, RallySimon said:

Hopefully getting a nearly new (ex demonstrator) Kamiq Monte Carlo next week (1.5 TSI Manual), which comes with the 18 inch Vega wheels and no spare.

I have suffered a fair few punctures over my many years of motoring and have always had a spare wheel. The official Skoda spare wheel kit is not currently available (back order, no idea when it might come) and is a space saver anyway, I'd rather have something that doesn't restrict me to 50mph, because inevitably when a puncture occurs it will be a long way from home at a time when tyre places aren't open.

I've read the various other Spare Wheel threads on here where there is suggestion that the 18 inch wheel/tyre (215/45 R 18) won't actually fit in the spare wheel well, but there seems to be no definitive answer on this - can someone confirm does it fit or not?

Also, what are the options, what should I buy? Previous cars, I've just bought a matching alloy and full size tyre, but I suspect the Vega alloys will be silly money if you can even get just one! And as above, don't want to then find it won't actually fit in the wheel well.

Advice please, as I won't be happy driving anywhere in it until I've got a spare wheel sorted.

Thanks!

I bought a new 16'' steel wheel online and had local tyre company put tyre on it. (205/60R16 if i remember correctly) fit's very nicely in the wheel well in the boot. cost £130 all together...I've also got 18'' wheels fitted to the car..

• Like 1

Thankyou both for your replies.

Stoker - the link you put to Caffyns looks ideal - not cheap, but just what I need, so I've ordered one. Might get the tyre changed at some point to the 205/60R16 instead of the 195 width it comes with, but not urgent, its close enough in the case of emergency.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Unfortunatley, Caffyns have been in touch to say they don't have the spare wheel kit in stock and its therefore back order from CZ, so order cancelled.

After a quick look on ebay, I found a used matching 18 inch Vega Alloy wheel complete with part worn tyre (7mm tread) for £199, so I've ordered that.

I know it may not fit in the wheel well, but my current Karoq doesn't even have a wheel well and I just have a full size spare upside down in the boot with a bowl full of useful tools and stuff inside it and a cover over it.

I'm single with no kids or family so never need to put loads of stuff in the boot, it leaves more than enough space, so I'll just do the same with this if it doesn't fit in the wheel well

If it goes in the wheel well and just raises the boot floor a bit, even better, I can make some supports for the edges of the floor to keep it stable on top of the wheel.

I already have the jack and wheel brace I bought for the Karoq, I presume they will be fine? (Same size wheel bolts for the brace?).

At least this way, if I do get a puncture, once changed I can carry on with the journey at normal speed.

Cheers.

• Like 2

At least it puts your mind at rest and if you don't need that space you have probably benefitted in all honesty.

• Like 1

The Spare will fit well enough in the Spare Tyre well and then when your car is loaded and if you had a puncture the wheel off the car will go in and there will be the same space in the boot. Just because a tyre is punctured does not change the width of wheel and tyre that much. 

At least if you fit the spare wheel down into the wheel well and secure with the correct bolt thing, and same for the tools kit, it will not be free to "come and get you" if you are unfortunate enough to be involved in an event where the car gets rolled over.

Posted (edited)

I recently traded in a 2021 Monta Carlo with a full size spare wheel for a brand new 73 plate Monte Carlo with a pathetic tyre inflation kit.  

You should have seen the look on the salesman’s face when upon collecting my 73 plate I proceeded to swap the inflation kit for the spare wheel.

He wasn’t impressed, and I didn’t care.

Guys, next time you go and order a new car make sure that you insist on a full spare wheel instead of an inflation kit.  You’ll be surprised how willing they will be to accommodate you if the deal hinges on it, that’s what I’ll be doing next time.

OP, call the dealer and tell him/her that the deal depends on them providing you with a full spare wheel.

Edited by carefree
  • Like 1

Don't forget the Kamiq and Scala have sisters in Seat Arona and VW T-cross and Taigo.

Found following on a Seat Arona forum

The spare wheel is normally 205/60 R16 on steel rim

The Arona is 5 bolt 100mm diameter bolt spacing with centre 57.1mm

I ordered the spare with the car, but only about 2-3mm clearance all around tyre in the well, not sure why they didn't make it about 10mm diameter bigger. A worn tyre will have about 5mm less tread (10mm diameter smaller) so might fit

205/60 R16 (spare) has diameter of 652.4mm
205/55 R17 (17 inch wheels) diameter 657.3mm
215/45 R18 (X Lux & FR sport) diameter of 650.7mm

So looks like the 18 inch wheels are marginally smaller than the factory spare, but 17 inch wheels with full tread are going to be harder to get in the wheel well.