Smallest mobile?

Wardy

Have a need to run two mobiles now. For the secondary one, looking for as small/slim/light as possible. Doesn't need to be brand new, doesn't need a camera or any kind of music playing capability. Doesn't even really need a colour screen, just needs to be small. Bluetooth would be useful, but not essential.

Any ideas? Siemens SL55?

Cheers,

Steve

Honestly, small mobiles will just give you grief and the Siemens SL55 is a griefmiester, 25% 14 day return rate, no parts or PCBs availiable which means a 3 week turnaround on a repair.

If you want a small light no nonsense, no grief, no frills mobile go for the Nokia 1100. It's dated but a good reliable package, I use one as a stunt phone and they are only

Hmmmm, had heard the SL55 wasn't the best. The only thing I could think at the time of posting though :D

1100 is maybe a step too far!

L6 is a possibility, yes, will see what they're about for, as I want to keep costs down if at all possible.

Steve

They are about £70 on Virgin with £20 talk time.

There are cheaper handsets and they are not the nicest to use but to be fair the return rate on these is only about 3% which is below the average. You will get 3 days out of the battery if you don't use the Bluetooth.

I used a tiny little Sendo M550 flip phone solidly for over a year. Now serves as my going out mobile. Smallest lightest phone I ever saw. Sendo no longer exist but if you need a cheap one, there are still some about new for very little money.

Chris

Nokia 6100.No bluetooth but small and only weighs about 76g.

Unless anyone knows of a lighter phone?

:iagree:

Great phone. Wish i hadnt got rid of it. Not the smallest but very thin and doesnt feel like you have anything in your pocket...

Trouble with small phones is they generally have small buttons...........even my average sized digits are too big for some phones :mad: :mad:

My current is a Sony Ericsson V800i - not particularly small or light, but the buttons are on the small side. Does everything I need, though :) :)

An old 8210 - have these become a retro classic yet?

The 8210 was the first phone that popped into my head. Maybe the last of the proper Ericssons - the T39 or T65?

The SL55 is quite compact but like the other slidey phones (like the Samsung D500) it's a pretty thick.

8210 is 79g,the 6100 76g.

As to Ericssons,did the battery last long? (looking for another small basic very light,thin phone myself.Don't need features except alarm.Will watch this thread with interest)

I've got a Panasonic G50 in a drawer at home somewhere. Tiny, tiny phone at 74g, but the keys are too small for anyone but pixies, and you can't text without going totally insane!

you can go too far with small phones, IMHO.

Phil

8210 is 79g' date='the 6100 76g.

As to Ericssons,did the battery last long? (looking for another small basic very light,thin phone myself.Don't need features except alarm.Will watch this thread with interest)[/quote']

My T39 predicted the standby time left and it was 240 hours when new with the standard slim battery. It still said around 220 hours after 3 years usage. There's an extended battery that gives upto 400hrs. It was a really good phone - has GPRS and Bluetooth. Unfortunately I had to replace after it got dropped. Weighs around 86g.

My T39 predicted the standby time left and it was 240 hours when new with the standard slim battery. It still said around 220 hours after 3 years usage. There's an extended battery that gives upto 400hrs. It was a really good phone - has GPRS and Bluetooth. Unfortunately I had to replace after it got dropped. Weighs around 86g.

Well ahead of it's time the T39. Easy to repair as well.

The last "Real" Ericsson was the R600, not a memorable model.

Currently there are very few really small mobiles, they are a niche market, NEC I belive hold the thinness record for their N930 although I never saw one and I doubt they sold many. Currently the Panasonic g55 is smallest although I would presume it's about as useful as a horny dog at a Miss Lovely Legs competition.

As a "professional" in the mobile phone business for over 6 years I have seen phones change from just a phone to completely convergent devices and amazingly cost effective power cells have not kept pace with the rest of the technology. Whereas you used to be able to get 5 days standby and a few hours talk time out of a Nokia 6310 these days if you use bluetooth you will be lucky to get 1 day and 2 hours out of anything.

A 6230i will give you 3 days and 2 hours talktime out of one charge if you dont use BT but thats about the best you will honestly get. You will also find that havving the "smallest" means you will sacrifice something else (Reliability, useability, servicability etc). A few grammes and mms will make no difference to you. Having a phone that works will.

You should always buy a handset based on fact you will have to spend at least a year with it, don't buy it just because it's pink like everyone else did this Christmas...

Wow - thanks for all the replies :thumbup: Didn't think this would generate such interest. 'Tis a bit of a niche market these days though it would seem, otherwise I wouldn't have had to start a thread ;)

Will investigate all these options. Thanks a lot.

Steve

I've got a Panasonic G50 in a drawer at home somewhere. Tiny' date=' tiny phone at 74g, but the keys are too small for anyone but pixies, and you can't text without going totally insane!

you can go too far with small phones, IMHO.

Phil[/quote']

May well be interested actually. Won't be using it for texting and my fingers are fairly nimble anyway! They spend all day at a computer keyboard after all...

PM me if you decide to dig it out - needs to be unlocked, or work on o2.

Cheers,

Steve

May well be interested actually. Won't be using it for texting and my fingers are fairly nimble anyway! They spend all day at a computer keyboard after all...

PM me if you decide to dig it out - needs to be unlocked' date=' or work on o2.

Cheers,

Steve[/quote']

It'll need unlocking, as it's locked to Virgin. I've no idea how hard or easy that might be!

Here's a link to the manual, see what you think: http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/media/pdf/userguides_qsg/Panasonic/g50/Panasonic%20G50%20manual.pdf

Phil

It'll need unlocking' date=' as it's locked to Virgin. I've no idea how hard or easy that might be!

Here's a link to the manual, see what you think: http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/media/pdf/userguides_qsg/Panasonic/g50/Panasonic%20G50%20manual.pdf

Phil

Thought you might say that - they all seem to have been on the Virgin network here. Couldn't find another network that used them.

Will still investigate though :rubchin:

Steve