• 40 mph
    • 50 mph
    • 60 mph
    • 70 mph
    • 80 mph
    • 90 mph
    • 100 mph
    • Unlimited

IMHO motorways should be derestricted rather than set to a variable speed limit - if someone can't figure out to slow to an appropriate speed when in adverse weather conditions or heavy traffic, they almost certainly don't deserve to hold a driving licence.

Rob.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO motorways should be derestricted rather than set to a variable speed limit - if someone can't figure out to slow to an appropriate speed when in adverse weather conditions or heavy traffic' date=' they almost certainly don't deserve to hold a driving licence.

Rob.[/quote']

I agree with you, problem is as proven there are too many complete sh*tes that can't drive. THey would do the maximum speed whatever the conditions.

If the go kill themselves, then bonus, thats fine, but if they kill somebody else (as almost happened to me) thats a bad thing.

problem is as proven there are too many complete sh*tes that can't drive. THey would do the maximum speed whatever the conditions.

Under the current system yes, but that's only because they can get away with being morons.

Under the proposed system, the emergency phones by the side of motorways would be replaced by small single-man gun turrets, with tank-armour piercing rounds which could be fired at anyone deemed to be driving like an a**e. I know it would cost a great deal to initially implement but I would suspect the offence rate to drop steeply...

Rob.

if someone can't figure out to slow to an appropriate speed when in adverse weather conditions or heavy traffic, they almost certainly don't deserve to hold a driving licence.

But what is an appropriate speed? I know lots of people who think they are good, safe drivers and think they are a good judge of appropriate speed and their abilities. I wouldn't get in a car with them though ;)

Ultimately, we need to make the driving test harder and the syllabus fuller, because quite a few people who get on the roads will have never driven in the dark, on motorways, in rain, in snow/ice, or even performed manouevres like overtaking, etc, etc. Sadly, it's never going to happen because the government who is brave enough to introduce that will be committing political suicide and also stopping a valuable revenue stream ;)

Chris

Not necessarily Chris, they could charge more for the test :D

Like France it should be compulsory to display a badge which shows you are a new driver. Any car with the sticker on is banned from the outside lane of the motorway.

Compulsory retests every 5 years to ensure the standard is maintained.

Bigger penalties for (or better yet, proper enforcement of) driving standards, not concetrating so much on speed.

Tougher tests for cars with a power to weight ratio of more than 100bhp/ton.

Advanced form of test / tougher test to gain a certificate to modify any aspect of your car's performance (brakes, suspension, engine, drivetrain) above manufacturers specification.

The Swiss motorway regulations are quite effective, they have always had a ban on lorries driving during the day, you see them all parked up on the hard shoulder untill 8pm (i think), they are only allowed to drive at night when the roads are quieter, and are not allowed to overtake each other on 2 lane sections of road, they maust have stopped by 6am (I think) too.

Also since 2004 they have completely banned any Large lorries (over 40 tonnes) from the motorways, these must now be transported by train.

I think England should concentrate more on transporting goods by train, it'd free up alot of space on our motorways.

I also dont believe speed is the cause of accidents on our motorways either, just look at Germany where the deristricted autobahns are the safest roads in the world, I know their roads are constructed to far higher standards than ours with limits on the radius of bends etc, but I dont see why it couldn't work here either? it's the innapropriate use of speed that causes accidents, more emphasis should be placed on this when training drivers.

I reckon they should reclassify certain roads (e.g. most of the M1 for example to an "M+" road, or whatever) so that a higher speed could be offered for long straight roads.

I haven't thought through the traffic planning for bottlenecks at the end, but it does make sence that some parts of some roads could safely carry higher speed.

In truth, I think the populace would be happier if clearways were set more realistically, rather than at cash machine speeds - though both would plans would be good in principle IMO.

Mo

I voted for unlimited and I stand by that decision, although some very good points have been raised. The problem is the safety lobby have convinced the government that driving too fast = death, and the government has gone along with it cause its an easy vote winner as the general populace will grumble but do nothing about it. The government also like it cause it is easy to legislate against and they got the police onside by telling them they could keep the money from the speed cameras, even though the police will admit that speed is not the biggest factor in most cases.

How many times have people on these forums got stuck behind someone sitting in the outside lane of a dual carriage way or even motorway with the inside lane or middle lane clear? Then, eventually, someone gets pi$$ed off and overtakes on the inside, breaking the law! Who would get stopped if the police saw it happen?

What the solution is to the problem I don't know.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people just refuse to leave the outside lane, and before you know it the inside lane ends up being the fastest moving. I don't get to drive on motorways as an every day thing so I suppose I don't become complacent, but it really doesn't take too much effort to drive properly on them.

I generally feel comfortable doing about 85.

I'm with the variable limit brigade, but again, it will only work if driving standards improve. Doing 100mph is fine, but if you come across somebody doing 50, and somebody else pulls out to overtake them, right into your path, that's when problems will occur.

So many people don't seem to be able to see beyond the car directly in front of them or can't judge speeds of other vehicles.

Some areas turn the Matrix signs to 50 or 60 even if traffic is moving freely, this tends to eliminate the un explained sudden slowing and speeding up you sometimes get on motorways, and actually makes journies quicker.

I don't think anything will change in the near future though!

Our slip roads aren't designed to have cars leaving them at 100+mph.

Before you all start to rant, I appreciate MOST people know this is a bad thing but the small minority who have no brain would think this is perfectly fine to do.

Junction 11 Northbound on the M1 is a good example to those who know it.

I think the limit should raise to 80 in addition to better laws for the motorway with regards to HGV's and middle lane hogs etc etc.

I have only just joined this site and will probably now get nobody talking to me, but here is my two pennies worth.

I am a copper and have been for 9 yrs, part of that with the traffic dept. I must admit to agreeing with 99% of what you guys and girls have said.

IMHO speed is NOT a cause of accidents, lack of concentration is the one and only reason people have an accident. I have stopped loads of people on the motorway and only ever given a few tickets out (I can't stand the Goverments current misuse of cameras to make money, it is just wrong).

Although there is a 70 limit you find that most coppers won't even bat an eyelid until you are the wrong side of 90. I will give you two examples from the same morning a couple of years back. August, 05.30 am, light traffic on motorway. I am sat in a great big Volvo estate with lots of lights and stickers all over it!!

Driver 1 - Mitsubishi Evo something - male driver mid 20's - 100-110mph, spots me closing in his rear view mirror. Slows down to 70mph pulls over into lane 1 and waits for me to stop him. I don't, why? Because he was paying attention and less likely to cause an accident than....

Driver 2 - Five mins later Mr Mondeo overtakes ME at about 90mph whilst on his phone and sits hogging lane 3 for next two miles with me sat in his rear view mirror!! I had all my lights and siren on and had to resort to undertaking him to get his attention!! When he finally decides to pull over he comes out with the classic "Have you got nothing better to do"?:thumbdwn: . Hmmmm wrong answer.

The secret is: Sensible + Aware = No grief from rozzers.:thumbup:

Monty

:wave: Hello and Welcome

Unfortunately, Government policy (i.e. Speed Cameras & vans everywhere) doesn't allow for 'discretion' or take into account driver skill & observation.

Give me real coppers rather than automated roadside cash machines anyday.

True, but it goes back to my point about concentration. If you can't see a big yellow box at the side of the motorway or don't spot the van parked on the bridges you're not really paying enough attention?:o And thus more likely to have an accident. I agree though, get rid of cameras and have more humans!!

Monty:)

True' date=' but it goes back to my point about concentration. If you can't see a big yellow box at the side of the motorway or don't spot the van parked on the bridges you're not really paying enough attention?:o And thus more likely to have an accident. I agree though, get rid of cameras and have more humans!!

Monty:)[/quote']

Can agree to a certain extent but big volvo= easy to spot at a distance, yellow box a few hundred yards= emegency panic slam on rather than a foot off accelerator and acknowledge nice policeman:P if you see what I mean, and should we be looking up in the sky at bridges when travelling? 15 years or so ago driving was a pleasure and enjoyable now its becomeing a chore with more concentration spent looking at the speedo than observing the road.:eek:

At least you appear to have an user friendly attitude:thumbup: but as mentioned cameras are totally disspsionate and don't take into account other possible mitigating factors.

I recently got pulled over for doing 60+ in a 40 and driving through a red light. The constable in question immediately asked what I did wrong and without hesitation I admitted guilt. He then reprimanded me, and let me on my way, albeit pointing out that it was quiet and late hence his leniency.

Without a doubt, I have a greater respect for the law as a result of that particular incident. If only more were like him.

I have only just joined this site and will probably now get nobody talking to me' date=' but here is my two pennies worth.

I am a copper and have been for 9 yrs, part of that with the traffic dept. I must admit to agreeing with 99% of what you guys and girls have said.

IMHO speed is NOT a cause of accidents, lack of concentration is the one and only reason people have an accident. I have stopped loads of people on the motorway and only ever given a few tickets out (I can't stand the Goverments current misuse of cameras to make money, it is just wrong).

Although there is a 70 limit you find that most coppers won't even bat an eyelid until you are the wrong side of 90. I will give you two examples from the same morning a couple of years back. August, 05.30 am, light traffic on motorway. I am sat in a great big Volvo estate with lots of lights and stickers all over it!!

Driver 1 - Mitsubishi Evo something - male driver mid 20's - 100-110mph, spots me closing in his rear view mirror. Slows down to 70mph pulls over into lane 1 and waits for me to stop him. I don't, why? Because he was paying attention and less likely to cause an accident than....

Driver 2 - Five mins later Mr Mondeo overtakes ME at about 90mph whilst on his phone and sits hogging lane 3 for next two miles with me sat in his rear view mirror!! I had all my lights and siren on and had to resort to undertaking him to get his attention!! When he finally decides to pull over he comes out with the classic "Have you got nothing better to do"?:thumbdwn: . Hmmmm wrong answer.

Monty[/quote']

It's a shame I missed this post!

Hello Monty and welcome to one of our many human, and sensible policemen.

I was once let off with a rollocking for going 'stupidly fast sir' by a nice bobby because my car was well booted and fettled, it was past midnight and the motorway was empty.He was a very nice man:thumbup:

Driver 2 - Five mins later Mr Mondeo overtakes ME at about 90mph whilst on his phone and sits hogging lane 3 for next two miles with me sat in his rear view mirror!!

What's wrong with that? I'm sure when I picked mine up, one of the options was exclusive use of lane 3 as well as the ability to tail-gate and bully other drivers ;)

:rofl:

Chris (never been stopped in 12 years of driving :D)

Have to completely agree with monyowen's comments (and welcome to the site!) - if more police had your sensible attitude to speed I'm sure there would be a lot more respect for the police.

I (luckily at present :rolleyes: ) have a clean driving license and got stopped some 11 years ago doing 45 in a 30 zone by a "real" policeman with a radar gun. It was in a quiet village round a blind bend and although I was mightily peed off about it I had to admit I was wrong and take the points & fine. It did make me more aware of limits etc but it's only since the introduction of all the cameras and covert methods of speed detection with no immediate police action (ie, an anonymous letter in the post some time later) that I come to realise how little respect I and most others have for the "safety camera partnership" who's only visible aim is to make money.

Back in the good old days when you zoomed past a patrol car you slowed down, pooped yourself and then apoligised humbly to the officer who stopped you in the hope of leniency - if it worked you were pleased to go slowly on your way and if it didn't it made you think more about not doing it again, either way the end result was the same - safer driving.

Now whenever I think I may have been done by a camera van (most of my driving is local so not really any chance of getting done by a gatso) my first thought is if I get done I'll purchase a laser diffuser to stop them getting me again :mad: , which is obviously highly illegal :eek: .

On motorways I do think the limit should higher, maybe 90 with more emphasis on keeping drivers alert and going after the pillocks who hold their mobile phones up the their ears while blasting along :finger: !!!

Rant over :o

Matt

I personally go for the more flexible rule that the traffic and weather conditions determine how fast I go. Sometimes that may exceed NSL a tad, other times I just stick into the 'slow' lane and save myself a lot of hassle and fuel.

Cruise I do use especially when it's late at night and I want to get home quickly but not too quickly to raise interest in the number of points on my license :P

Also depends on the car I drive, in the Furby I know I have sufficient handling and braking capability to slow down fast if needed. In my Rover 100 neither applies so going at similar speeds was downright dangerous (and yes I scared myself a few times..). Nothing to be proud of but something I learned from, thus my upgrades to braking and handling as well as the 'power' of my car.

SWMBOs car has fantastic brakes, discs all round, and although it is in no way sporty it would not worry me cruising at 85 mph where legal as it has those brakes.

The real problem with a max speed is that there are still loads of uninsured and/or unexperienced/unskilled drivers out there which make terrifyingly stupid mistakes on a regular basis. Worse still there are drivers who think they are skilled but are not. I know I'm not the best driver in the world, and I assume others are not either. That way you tend to be sufficiently paranoid to avoid the bulk of trouble, yet confident enough to know you have a reasonable if imperfect standard of driving.

Am I good enough to drive 100 mph on an empty road - yep sure. Ditto for a busy road - hardly likely.

Either way, it's gonna be interesting to see if any changes actually happen. I doubt it somehow ;)

Back on topic the biggest problem with raising the motorway limit is that the vast majority of motorists have never had ANY proper M-way training :eek:

Most people were taught by their dad, who in turn was taught by his dad, who in turn learned how to drive on an M-Way from some TV advertisements when they were first introduced :eek:

I think we need compulsory M-way training for new drivers, along with a much harder L-test (pitched at IAM level IMHO) and stiffer penalties for tailgaters and lane hoggers (death penalty sounds good :thumbup: ).

Once all this is done and people know how to drive on a M-way (I'm convinced a lot of people don't know undertaking is illegal, for instance) then we could look at derestriction or a higher limit. For the time being I think that 70-80 is quick enough (and too quick for most of the idiots I see about).

PS - Nice to see a decent copper Monty - welcome to the site :thumbup:

Once all this is done and people know how to drive on a M-way (I'm convinced a lot of people don't know undertaking is illegal' date=' for instance)

[/quote']

surely if you are undertaken by somebody it just highlights the fact that you should not be in that lane anyway!! if they are going faster than you that's when you pull into the inside lane isn't it??