Octavia II Xenon Headlights

VRStu

Following the recent threads regarding some concerns with the Xenon setup on the MKII Octavia I was a little concerned/intrigued to see what mine would be like.

Picked the car up yesterday so got my first opportunity to try the lights last night. It was immediately evident that the concerns shared by some owners were replicated on my car. It seemed almost as though the headlights were bouncing, constantly trying to find a level.

Having taken the advice of our resident expert, all round good egg and proud new dad I set about sorting them out this evening.

It's a simple case of following the standard instructions given on the Ross Tech website except you don't physically adjust the headlight.

Bingo!! :thumbup:

Not that I doubted him for one moment but the big fella was exactly right. It seems to be a case of them not being set at the factory and then not being setup by the dealers during PDI. Takes 2 minutes with VAG-COM.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What concerns me more is that SUK seem oblivious to the problem too. They thought my car was within spec.

I would attribute that to you being let down by your dealer more than SUK, they can only use whatever information is passed to them.

To all intents and purposes, the headlights are 'in spec', they were probably pointing at the right level. You have to 'teach' the controller to know what the base position of the headlight unit is.

Looks like you might have a job on your hands tommorow stu bring the vag com mate;) :D .Have i told you the new one when the steering is on full lock seems the tyre is hitting the wheel arch:confused: .Will show you what i mean tommorow.

I had tried 3 different dealers and spoken on numerous occasions to SUK. The last dealer, Allams, had the Area Tech bod on site. But they all thought my car was fine. It's gone now, but I feel quite sour about Skoda now. I don't understand how the dealers seem to get high scores on JD power etc. For me, 3 dealers have been pathetic. Maybe your average Skoda buyer isn't too fussy? I don't know what it is really, but I expected more having spent 24k on a car. SUK are poaching customers from prestige manufacturers now (I for one) but they gotta do more to keep them.

Hope you enjoy the Vrs.

.............. ooops

No problems at all turn on ign turn on lights and after the initial calibration they are as steady as any of the "job" cars that I drive

I can only say I am happy so far .... (note to self do not jinx things)

Looks like you might have a job on your hands tommorow stu bring the vag com mate.

Already packed. if we get to cheively on time i'll do it then so you can test them en route to Silverstone.

Have i told you the new one when the steering is on full lock seems the tyre is hitting the wheel arch.

Doesn't sound too promising mate.

How are they Traff?

So far so good time will tell .... as i said earlier the other vehs I have driven vauxhalls/volvos etc the xenons are a lot lot worse than the Octavias .... but that could be down to the jobs maintenabnce technicians!!

I feel a little bit sorry for the lads in the garages who do all our fettling. When they do warranty work, they often get quoted ridiculous times to complete jobs (the manufactures must only ever figure out these benchmark times on brand new, well oiled cars with all the appropriate tolls and a spare F1 crew in the wings) and I guess it

• 2 months later...

Hi - after reading on Xenon problems, just picked up my Octy rs 2.0 TDI from Bamptons in Gloucester. On asking they admitted they had not looked at the Xenons - it certainly hasn't got a row on the PDI form (generic, not even specific to Octy!). They seem a tad high - frequent flashing from oncoming traffic. On the absolute level they seem fine - no wobbling experienced at all. Seem perfect - not intruding above parcel shelf of car in front, but any slight incline or bump and they are obviously not appreciated by oncomers - anyone else experiencing this? Suppose I can wait to 1st service - 10k. Otherwise they are just awesome lights.

Mine are ok. On start up and putting the lights on they move up and down, then they are fine. On bumpy roads, they maintain thier level, whick makes them move up and down, but nothing seems untoward.

Chris - re wheels rubbing on full lock..... mine did that too, but only on the Continentals.