Tamiya R/C fun

Tech1e

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of when i used to Race at my local club when i had an Optima Mid.

Started with a Tamiya then moved onto Kyosho,a friend of mine called Mark King was a very successful racer in the 1/10th off road scene in the late 80's.

I gave up as started work and didn't have the time or the money being an apprentice.

Still have my cars though,gathering dust on the top of my wardrobe.

Won't ever sell them thought, need some bit for the Optima to get it working again.

Any tips on where i could source and Optima Mid parts?

Boy,

This brings back some memories.

I used to have a Manta-Ray and a 'Grave Digger' bodysheel on the old Bettle chassis, went racing / playing in Newton Le Willows with a great group of folks. Spent a fair fortune on them at the time, since god rid as I wasn't using them and needed some cash sharpish.

Lots of happy memories, even some that included destruction of car body parts, hilarious watching one of my wheels off the Grave Digger decide it wanted to go a different route to the body. Of course, only funny because I had a shed load of spares. ;)

Never did quite rech the lofty hieghts of carbon-fibre chassis. :)

Oh, I also had a ZZ Top 'Eliminator' bodyshell for the Mnta when it was in posing / crusing mode. :P

In the past i've had a tamiya porsche 959 dakar rally car and vanessas lunch box and in my loft i have a kyosho ic engined rs200 with a fiesta rallycross bodyshell and still have a tamiya vectra touring car which has been re shelled with a carsson skoda octavia bodyshell which has been made into a replica of my car

Ah this brings back memories, I started with a Kyosho Rocky then Tamiya Super Sabre then Kyosho again with the Optima Mid custom special - I still have one in pieces in the loft before I got my final one a Schumacher Cougar Works 2wd - great fun, I used to really enjoy racing in my local club.

Should dig them out again sometime, wonder if they still work....

I spent a little over 10 years doing R/C racing :D

Started off with a Kyosho Ferrari F40, which used an Optima Mid off-road chassis. Converted it back to off-road and that got me started. Moved on to a Mardave Cobra 2WD car, then we went on-road.

Just before I quit the sport (well, more like a long break) I had done a season in the Tamiya Eurocup racing in the F1 class using the F201. I still have that and also the TT-01 that I bought as a cheap racer.

One of these days I'll get organised and do some racing again :)

I remember when I stated 1/8th off road I had my girlfriend pit for me. I'll never forget covering her face in mud as I spun the wheels up during a fuel stop. Needless to say, she didn't last.

I can't believe you'd take your GF RC racing :D. In my experience the two do not mix.

I remember when I stated 1/8th off road I had my girlfriend pit for me. I'll never forget covering her face in mud as I spun the wheels up during a fuel stop. Needless to say, she didn't last.

Lol, well, got my dad to pit once at Halifax national meeting - instead of squezing the fuel bottle to empty fuel into the tank then with drawing the bottle, he managed to suck all the fuel back up into the bottle! Thank god it was only the practise the day before or I would of been buggered!

Managed to get SWMBO to get a mardave and race that, except she always wants to race my B4, but as you can imagine I get very nervous at a

Wow.. all this talk of r/c cars makes me wanna dig out mine...

58096.jpg

I'm pretty sure I still have the radio gear etc, but chances are no batteries or outta shell... last I can remember it was in pretty bad shape anyway.

They where tons of fun though.. remember taking mine out on a school playground that had frozen over :D

Wow.. all this talk of r/c cars makes me wanna dig out mine...

58096.jpg

I'm pretty sure I still have the radio gear etc' date=' but chances are no batteries or outta shell... last I can remember it was in pretty bad shape anyway.

They where tons of fun though.. remember taking mine out on a school playground that had frozen over :D[/quote']

I had the malcom wilson TA01 chassis. Cant remember if I still have it or not. I do however still have my 97 wrc impreza ta03f. With all this talk I may be temptered to did it out.:)