How to activate de ON/OFF center switch on the CLIMATRONIC

There are rumours it will toggle the dual zone function, basically doing the same job as holding AUTO for a few seconds.

Whether this is true or not will require the assistance of a VAG-COMmer.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was curious about this blandly titled thread going on so long so stepped in. Ten minutes later...

The before shot:

SwitchBefore.jpg

And the after shot:

SwitchAfter.jpg

Man, if I can do it (using a storecard (don't use your main credit card!) in one side and a fingernail in the other), then anyone can.

Brilliant mod. Very handy for the Tyne Tunnel. Now all I want is one saying "off" - and I don't care if it doesn't light up!

There are rumours it will toggle the dual zone function, basically doing the same job as holding AUTO for a few seconds.

Whether this is true or not will require the assistance of a VAG-COMmer.

I found these VW GTi files that show the climatronics buttons and explain what they do.........Including what the AUTO button do on the VW GTi

http://www.vw.com/vwcom/content/objects/pdf/service_maint/gti_lightsvision.pdf

Isaac

Nice pictures Mark - Would you mind if I used them for my guide?

Some recomendation for your web Octavia-vrs.com

1) I think is a good idea that you put a link to this tread.

2) I think you have to give credit/mention the person that put the first tread (Me:D )

3) Mention the persons that have help with pictures too.

Any others ideas????

THX,

Isaac

Also for your site under iPOD interfsase, I will be very happy if you use my instalation pictures. You can find them here: Turbo_Boss - iPOD instalation Pics

A little off-topic I know, but what is the blue & black box fitted into the glove box?

Heyyyyy, thats my glove box compartment! :D Thats a GReddy Turbo Timer. Here is the explication why I need it.

There are several brands you can get, Like GReddy, HKS, etc

tt04.giftt02.gif

To understand why you need a turbo timer, first you need to understand something about turbochargers and cars equipped with them.

Turbochargers get very VERY hot. They spin at extremely high RPM and move lots of air, which creates friction and thus; heat.

If you run a turbo hard, and shut the car off, the oil which is normally circulating through the turbo to lubricate and cool it, stops flowing, which will cause the oil to bake, harden, and generally make a mess inside your turbo.

Ideally, after running a turbocharged car hard for a while, you should ALLOW it to cool down for a couple of minutes before shutting it off, however, some people don't have the time for this.

A turbo timer is a device which keeps the car running for a set amount of time after the key has been removed from the ignition, allowing the turbocharger to cool down to an acceptable temperature before shutting the engine off.

It works very simply. Lock the door and walk away from the car. The Turbo Timer will keep the engine running and it will shuts off the engine after a preset time/timer has run out.

Keep in mind, its nice to have a Turbo Timer if you're in a hurry and often find yourself shutting the engine off immediately after being run hard. Many people run without them, but the ones who DO have them will undoubtedly have their stock turbos in good shape for many more miles than those who don't have them.

Isaac

• 4 months later...

Tesco Club Card keyfob thingy does a very good job of popping the blanker off.

By the way, my car's a MY2007, and (as has been previously mentioned), it doesn't look like it's got a button behind it - just a couple of unsoldered contacts. DOES this mod still work???? Are the contacts really for the LED? If so, where's the switch???

Tesco Club Card keyfob thingy does a very good job of popping the blanker off.

By the way, my car's a MY2007, and (as has been previously mentioned), it doesn't look like it's got a button behind it - just a couple of unsoldered contacts. DOES this mod still work???? Are the contacts really for the LED? If so, where's the switch???

The switch is there, you just can't see it very easily, the blanks are for LED's.

I thought it wouldn't work initially as I thought the switch was missing :doh: but it works fine.

I use it a lot more than I thought I would, very handy little mod that :D

Might try and find a MK V golf or Passat for the proper button someday.

Either that or a visit to my local VW dealer that has a climatronic equipped showroom model:rofl:

I'd go for a used one outside and swap the button over. Much easier to do as you will be less likely to be noticed.