How to activate de ON/OFF center switch on the CLIMATRONIC

I've just removed the little black plastic tab and guess what? IT WORKS!!!!!!:rofl:

I was reading on the Skoda Spain Forum that the empty space were you was thinking was for the switch is for the LEDs that uliminate the OFF sign (VW Button) The lower button is for the Dual Control and its look like you have to activate this feature with a VAG tool. Dont know what is the VAG procedure but I am pretty sure somebody will find out soon;)

Now, eaven that the DUAL does not work it will be very nice to have that button tab there as a fake one and get iluminated in the night:D So there has to be a way to buy these buttons tabs on the VW dealer

Isaac

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A small sharp blade in the horizontal gap between the buttons to the left and right of the chrome divider and a gentle prising action.

On the other forum, people says they are using some credict cards to pull out the tabs.

Isaac

A credit card would probably do it but there is a good chance you could bend the corner of the card, the point of my leatherman blade did it quite well and left no visible damage. I'm sure there will be more suggestions on that one.

The buttons have a bit of resistance initally then they give way and pop out, usually under the seat :rolleyes:

The solder blank I saw on the PCB was indeed the backlight LED position, I eventually sussed it when I took the Windscreen demist button out and saw it so you are bang on with that one Isaac :thumbup:

I have fiddled with the "AUTO" button again and it doesnt appear to do anything so yes, it looks like it could be a VAG-COM jobbie. It would be nice to enable it so the dual mode can be toggled on and off.

I'm off out to the car to find more hidden buttons.:rofl:

Great info, Thanks

Do you always have to change driver's AND passenger's temperature independently or there is the way NOT to have them on DUAL, I mean when you change driver's temperature it changes the passenger's one too. I'm asking that because I mainly travel alone.

Thanks

If you adjust the drivers side then it works on both sides, i.e. drivers and passengers temp are adjusted together, its only when you adjust the passenger side that makes it become out of sync (well the passenger set his/her temp). Then, as published before, holding the auto button down for two seconds re-syncs everything.

Fantastic :thumbup:

One small flat bladed screwdriver, one stanley knife, 20 seconds of my time and I have an extra button :eek:

Just the job for when you're driving and the phone rings - quick stretch of the finger and the blower noise is kill, ready for a nice clear hands free conversation.

So now of off to the brakers to find a real switch cover, then out comes the panel, disassemble to get to PCB, out with soldering icon and in goes is surface mount LED ;)

If you search google there are quite a few pictures of this "OFF" button appearing on different VW models. It seems to be exclusive to them and must be a VW part number.

[ATTACH]11325[/ATTACH]

ECON light on = Air conditioning compressor OFF, fan running

ECON light off = Air conditioning compressor ON, fan running

NO lights and "off" in the temp displays = Air conditioning compressor and fan OFF

Not quite, the compressor is a clutchless one the same as the Fabia and never actually turns off. Load is just reduced.

Not quite, the compressor is a clutchless one the same as the Fabia and never actually turns off. Load is just reduced.

I thought that as I typed it but for the sake of simplicity I chose to omit that detail. :)

If you search google there are quite a few pictures of this "OFF" button appearing on different VW models. It seems to be exclusive to them and must be a VW part number.

Are you sure any Audi or Seat models use this button too?

Isaac

I googled it and lots of pictures came up of various VW models with the "OFF" button clear as day in the middle of the climatronic unit.

I dont think Audi or SEAT use this style of climatronic unit, seems to be only Skoda and VW that use it.

Either way, there is no LED to light the new button unless you go at the PCB with a soldering iron and a new LED for it. Personally that's too risky and I dread to think how much a new climatronic unit would cost.

Even if the button just said "OFF" that would be a start:P

Like you said before - either get a teenager to deface it with a key "off was ere" or get the new switch.

assuming it works when the new switch in place is it really a problem if it doesn't light up.

However, thinking about it I wouldn't put any new buttons in that didn't illuminate :)

Either way, there is no LED to light the new button unless you go at the PCB with a soldering iron and a new LED for it. Personally that's too risky and I dread to think how much a new climatronic unit would cost.

Even if the button just said "OFF" that would be a start:P

:orb_loser

Come on!!!! How dificult can be soldering a new LED???

Well, make sure to take a lot of pictures when you do your mod:D

Isaac

Like you said before - either get a teenager to deface it with a key "off was ere" or get the new switch.

assuming it works when the new switch in place is it really a problem if it doesn't light up.

However, thinking about it I wouldn't put any new buttons in that didn't illuminate :)

Well, before you disasemble the Climatronic PC Board, I think that you can remove the button tab and with a volmeter check is there is voltage to turn on a LED.

Isaac