Which Octavia?

Hello all,

I might be considering a return to Skoda ownership, and think the Octavia is most likely the car I'd aim for.

The models I'd be considering are:

The saloon vRS

The saloon 4X4

The estate 4X4

Is there any recommendations for or against any of these ?

I partly prefer the 4x4 estate, it seems very tunable (of course it is - it's got the 1.8T), but the suspension is a concern, a bit too high and rolly polly. Is there an easy suspension kit upgrade for these? Would other things like brakes also be inferior?

Incidentally I'm looking very much secondhand, prob up to around the

I guess it depends what you want. Out of the box, I would go with the vRS unless you need the extra clearance or 4wd. If you plan to tune it then perhaps the 4x4 as im sure you could change the suspension to match the vRS and the power is easily attainable. I'm not sure what the interior is like on the 4x4 but I am guessing it may be a little more drab than the vRS - does that matter though? Would go with the hatch over the estate personally but thats just down to what you need at the end of the day!

The 4x4 is Elegance spec and should come with the following interior equipment which the vRS lacks:

Electrically operated sunroof

Headlight washer system

Central front armrest

Side airbags, front

Twin rear reading lights

The vRS has a leather gear nob (sp!) and partial leather upholstery which the Elegance lacks.

If you are going to tune it then 4x4 every time IMO, Mines now a mere 350 bhp thanks to the Guys at Jabba. Re suspension Im running KW V3.

FocusZtec also has a nice suspension set up on his 4x4

To add Im refering to Mk1 Octys

Thanks for the answers. Glad to know there are some great options for the suspension - I thought it might be difficult since the rear set up is different on the 4X4.

Sorry to keep asking, but what sort of economy do you get out of a 4x4 or a vRS, I've already got one 18mpg car and my sense of humour keeps running out at the pumps...

Also - how do you get to 350bhp - I guess the ponies become much more pricey beyond about 210 of the bleeders?

Thanks for the answers. Glad to know there are some great options for the suspension - I thought it might be difficult since the rear set up is different on the 4X4.

Sorry to keep asking, but what sort of economy do you get out of a 4x4 or a vRS, I've already got one 18mpg car and my sense of humour keeps running out at the pumps...

Also - how do you get to 350bhp - I guess the ponies become much more pricey beyond about 210 of the bleeders?

Remap will give around 220 on both 4x4 & Rs, add a decent exhaust & Ideally a front mount & you should have close to 250 bhp

Then you need to address Brakes & suspension before going further. I did both Brakes & Suspension before the first remap.

After that I went this route Jabba Sport - Motor Sport & also strengthened the Internals as I have a habit of running it flat out for prolonged periods (on continental roads) Then I broke the Gearbox so had to fit a TT one, then theres been an assortment of Clutches, etc etc. Yes it costs a small fortune

re MPG the Rs will be slightly better as it has taller gears but the 4x4 has better acceleration. I always managed over 20 in the 4x4 & High 20's are achievable. Dennis (DGW) has I know done a few steady runs in the remapped 4x4 so he could better tell you what can be achieved

Ive had powerful front wheel drives in the past but imo nothing beats the added security of 4wd or simply the benefit of being able to make a fast get away safely even in heavy rain.

There is nothing wrong with the VRS but when I bought mine I knew I'd be tweaking the power and because of this I felt the 4x4 was a better starting point for me.

I also liked the fact it had side airbags, drivers arm rest (which is never folded away!), leccy sunroof and the front headlamp washers. I also seem to remember someone telling me the fuel tank is bigger to allow for more fuel - balancing off the slightly heavier kerb weight of the 4x4 compared to the VRS. I have a Jabba remap as well as the other mods listed in my sig and I never see below 300 miles from a tank of town/mixed driving. Sticking to constant 80mph on the motorways brings this to 400+ (Ive seen 440 miles twice on long relaxed trips)

Also, it has been exceptionally reliable.

Lee

Thanks again for all this info - the silver 4 X 4 of Stuart's looks pretty tidy,a nd thanks for the detail FocusZtec. Are the 4X4's a drive by wire throttle or cable actuated?

I'll try and make this my last question - is there any preference between estate and hatchback - I think I'm erring toward the estate for bike transport etc...

Thanks again for all this info - the silver 4 X 4 of Stuart's looks pretty tidy,a nd thanks for the detail FocusZtec. Are the 4X4's a drive by wire throttle or cable actuated?

I'll try and make this my last question - is there any preference between estate and hatchback - I think I'm erring toward the estate for bike transport etc...

The 4x4's are all DBW from memory - earliest ones were 2001 models.

If I was offered an estate at the silly price I paid for my hatch I think I may well have taken the estate - different and, as you say, useful for the extra carrying capacity. :)

Lee

Ive had powerful front wheel drives in the past but imo nothing beats the added security of 4wd or simply the benefit of being able to make a fast get away safely even in heavy rain.

There is nothing wrong with the VRS but when I bought mine I knew I'd be tweaking the power and because of this I felt the 4x4 was a better starting point for me.

I also liked the fact it had side airbags, drivers arm rest (which is never folded away!), leccy sunroof and the front headlamp washers. I also seem to remember someone telling me the fuel tank is bigger to allow for more fuel - balancing off the slightly heavier kerb weight of the 4x4 compared to the VRS. I have a Jabba remap as well as the other mods listed in my sig and I never see below 300 miles from a tank of town/mixed driving. Sticking to constant 80mph on the motorways brings this to 400+ (Ive seen 440 miles twice on long relaxed trips)

Also, it has been exceptionally reliable.

Lee

You should probably add that your mate bought one and you were so impressed with his, you had to get one yourself. ;) :P

For the money, there isn't a better all round car imho.

You should probably add that your mate bought one and you were so impressed with his, you had to get one yourself. ;) :P

For the money, there isn't a better all round car imho.

But I bought mine first! :P

But I do concur with the copycat above - for the money, taking into consideration reliability and servicing costs; you cant beat it!

Lee

Agree with Lee

Estates are def better if you need the load space, big plus is that they are a lot more common, the hatch never sold very well & Skoda UK dropped them from the range

So for load lugging go Estate, to be exclusive buy a hatch :) :)

If your wanting to know what can be done to a 4x4 estate have a search for EddyH's posts... he's running a bog turbo conversion and silly power. Its not a vRS estate but to be honest theres not a lot of the original car left outside the body panels!

i run a vRS and to be totally honest after having a drive in MonkeyBoys old vRS there wasnt another car i was remotely interested in.

if i had my Skoda buying time again i probably wouldnt change the car i bought... i MIGHT have test drove the estate though, or at least paid it more attention. not for the load lugging ability but purely cause i think its a good looking car in vRS form.