***spam***

Makefish

anyone who can work out how to permenantly stop that kind of ****e will become very rich, very quickly!

Have you got any spam filtering setup with your email provider? Most providers offer something like this, but their effectiveness is rather variable.

Which mail client you using and who is your ISP.

Also do they come from the same sender or some random junk account each time.

Ta

Wanadoo is the e-mail client and so is my ISP (now Orange).

These messages appear to come from random senders!.

I used to work as a Sys Admin for a maritime ISP, and stopping Spam was a major, major headache.

All our customers had very low-bandwidth connections, so any spams added considerably to the cost of their communications.

We ended up using the MessageLabs service to filter our customers emails. Very good, but a tad expensive for a home user.

I'd suggest changing your email address. It's a bit of a pain in the a$$, but it will stop the problem for a good while. And be careful where you publicly show your address, or get a "throwaway" one for public use.

:)

very similar to the ones i am getting at present , the ISP number keeps changing so i just keep asking windows to block the sender ,as per instructions given in the spam thread i started a bit ago , but i had 3 this morning :( all about some share prices

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/tech-shed/spam/62812/

Didn't realise wannado did their own client.

How about downloading thunderbird mail client and training the spam filter on there.

It might take a little while but that stuff should eventually end up in a junk mail folder automatically.

Failing that trace the sender and lets get some tyre irons :P

The only surefire way to stop them is to change your address, then be careful with your new addy.

'Sender Address' filtering doesn't work, on a small scale. They rarely come from the same address twice. Plus the "From" address is normally 'spoofed'.

'Subject line' filtering doesn't work, for the same reason as above.

Blacklisting an IP address can have a small effect, but again not on a small scale (1 recipient address).

Stopping them at the client-level might work a bit, but you still have to receive them in the first place.

A system like MessageLabs, or others like it, use sophisticated systems to check a number of factors for each email, and they can be spectacularly effective - my Dad used to get 70 or so spam every day. He started using MessageLabs, and now I think he gets about 5 or so a week, with no 'false-positives that I know of. Yet!

I use '1 and 1' for my emails & hosting, and their spam filtering works to a certain degree, but I still get about half a dozen or so every day.

One tip is to NEVER open an email that looks like spam. Some have a small gif or jpeg linked in them. If you open the email, the mail client calls the image file from the remote server, and a cookie confirms that you opened the email, thereby confirming that your address is valid, and you read your emails.

If it smells like spam, it probably is, so just delete it, without previewing or opening it.

:)

my outlook puts **SPAM** in front of the subject title, so I can go straight to those in my inbox and delete them without bothering. Sometimes I try to check the sender as well as it might thing authentic emails to me are **SPAM** too.

Just the E world we live in unfortunately.

The problem with these types of spam messages, are they are sent as graphic images. I dont know of any domestic spam filter that can filter these out as the message text is just an embedded image.

At work we pass all our email through Surfcontrol, this has an image agent that does a good job at getting rid of most of them. However, this product costs a lot of cash.

I use Mailwasher Pro which isn't very expensive and detects about 99% of my incoming spam (after it's learnt for a few years, but it does improve quite rapidly) with very few genuine e-mails shown as dodgy.

Not that I wish to drag the big panther out but I last checked my mail at around 8.30 this morning, it's now 11pm and look!!!

Fecking losers!! :mad:

Edit - Most of it is about this bloody Niagra stuff!! :rolleyes:

11433.attach

I've been getting more and more since Orange took over from Wanadoo. I get 'share tips' to how 'the mum was forced to f*** her son'. It all gets binned but it only takes me accidently clicking on one link by mistake one day when I mean to click something else for all hell to break loose.

I've been getting more and more since Orange took over from Wanadoo. .

Hmmm.I have lots more since then.

I thought it was because I sent off my details to one of those 'get a free razor' threads on scoobynet.

Got the razor,but loads of junk e mail too:(

Got the razor, but loads of junk e mail too:(

Thats the thinking behind keeping a "throwaway" email address in adition to your normal addy.

I use a Hotmail account for that sort of thing, and for things like registering on a forum or other website that I might never go back to.

Every now and again, I change the Hotmail address slightly.

I get the exact same emails, It's on my work pc too which is not nice and I never really use this email for anything other than work.

I believe it did start after I bought a camera from ukdigitalcameras as I used my work addy as a contact :rolleyes:

Thats what I like to see ... at least three Briskoda windows open on a works desktop. :D

... and enough 'work' type folders to make it look like you're doing something :P

it's Lunchtime ;)

But I do love to right click and open in new window :D