TDi PD 130 engine bedding in.

Chavyboy

How many miles from new should you take it easy for with these engines ?

Also I am not affraid to get my hands dirty on cars so is there any benefit of changing the oil and filter in the car after it has bedded in ?

What oil is recommended in these engines ?

IIRC the handbook says "not more than 3/4 of max speed for the first 1k miles". This is for the 1.8T petrol but I assume it's the same for the diesel.

However in general VW engines get better with miles so even after the running in period, it will still be a bit tight. I reckon after about 5k it should have loosened up.

The Dealers reccomend 1k of being gentle to bed in.. but the engine will take many many miles to bed in properly im on 7.5k and the engine is getting better every day :devil:

For oil you will need either VAG approved 505.1 or 506.1

the Fabia RS comes from the factory with 506.1 in as standard.. which is the long life stuff for variable servicing.. altho it is unclear if variable servicing is available for the Fabia vRS

About 2miles :). for the oil, the dealer stuff meets the VAG requirements although i use Castrol GTD Magnatec which also meets the requirements and comes in 1 gallon cans, which akso happens to be the oil capacity. (I can get it cheap if you ever need any Ivan)

altho it is unclear if variable servicing is available for the Fabia vRS

not to sure myself, but there are a few sensors in the sump that i don't think has much to do with the engine oil temp.

How many miles from new should you take it easy for with these engines ?

Also I am not affraid to get my hands dirty on cars so is there any benefit of changing the oil and filter in the car after it has bedded in ?

What oil is recommended in these engines ?

Treat it exactly as described in the hand book for running in and you cant go wrong.

With the TDi I had the oil changed at around 1500 miles, but this was proabably OTT, so I'm not planning to do the same with the vRS..

The Dealers reccomend 1k of being gentle to bed in.. but the engine will take many many miles to bed in properly im on 7.5k and the engine is getting better every day :devil:

For oil you will need either VAG approved 505.1 or 506.1

the Fabia RS comes from the factory with 506.1 in as standard.. which is the long life stuff for variable servicing.. altho it is unclear if variable servicing is available for the Fabia vRS

I 100% garantee it's available, as mine is on it, they change a sensor and plonk a sticker on.

Just so you know.....

"i use Castrol GTD Magnatec which also meets the requirements and comes in 1 gallon cans, which akso happens to be the oil capacity. (I can get it cheap if you ever need any Ivan)"

Does it really ? I thought that the only Castrol stuff which met VW 505.01 spec is the SLX longlife II

Good news if it does 'cos it's widely available and reasonably priced. Otherwise you're stuck with dealer stuff (don't forget Ford must sell an oil that it used in their PD engined Galaxy), Castrol as above and the stuff from Millers. Does it state on the packaging that it meets the standard ?

Castrol GTD Magnatec is a spec VW 505 00 (01/97) oil according to the Castrol Germany site. PD engines on variable servicing should use VW 506 01 oil (eg Castrol Longlife); those on fixed service intervals should use VW 505 01 (classed as a multigrade high lubricity oil). (That info is from the Octavia Owner's Manual).

Millers XFE-PD meets VW 500 00, 505 00 and 505 01 according to their site.

PS If I owned a Skoda with a PD engine I would opt to use a VW506 01 spec oil.

NB - Spec VW 505 00 oil is NOT suitable for use in the PD engine according to information posted in this thread on the TDIClub site.

Ive just done 7500miles on millers and both me and my service manager is very happy with it. Still good viscosity, although we are about to change it due to the level of black stuff in it. This is common of diesal engines and we think its been made worst by the last oil change been done well late (15000) and no flush out, so hence there was a large carryover of crap (I know this for a fact as there was aleast 500mls of oil left out of the 5l). So its millars again after the engine has been given a proper flush! Will post the results as things progress!

IF the 130 is anything like the 110 it may use a bit of oil when new but this will stop as the car beds in. Just mention this as its a good idea to carry a Litre of Oil if you are on variable servicing as your average garage dosent sell it.

On the 110 you can mix oil but it will reduce your service interval & even then only I think max of one Litre can be added.

stuart

• 3 weeks later...

Well i just found this thread http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/?f=1&t=4851

makes an interesting read especially the bit about Millers XFE

Just read the bit on the millersoils website and the Millers XFE-PD is VW approved for there PD engines.

See \/ \/ \/ \/

Description

A hi-synthetic high performance diesel engine oil specially formulated to meet VW/VAG requirements and officially approved by them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Application

Recommended for use in diesel engines where oils approved by Volkswagen to their 500.00, 505.01,and 505.00 specifications are required.

Cars from VW, SEAT, Skoda and Audi will need this oil.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User Benefits

Full warranty protection is provided by this approved engine oil when used in accordance with the VW instructions.

Will provide maximum fuel consumption together with the highest possible protection against wear.

Engine cleanliness is assured by high levels of dispercancy and detergency.

Performance Profile

VW 505.01

VW 505.00

VW 500.00

API CH4

ACEA B3

Viscosity / Typical Characteristics

5w40

The comment about VW putting a different oil in the engine for running in is wrong. And I am surprised that Honest John didn't come out with his usual advice of changing the oil and filter every 5000 miles.

PS: Millers XF PDE does NOT meet the spec for PD engines on variable service intervals, ie when fitted to the Octavia and Superb. Those engines need spec VW 506 01 oil, eg Castrol Longlife SLXII 0W-30. Nor does it meet the spec for other VW diesel engines also on variable service intervals since they need VW 506 00 oil.

Not they are not set for variable servicing as standard Ivan, but i can be changed. I use Castrol GTD magnatec as it meet the spec IIRC and come is a 4.5l can, which is the amount needed for the engine anyway.