Leon cupra or Fabia vRS: pros and cons

Chris_W

55-60mpg for the Fabia, + it is more rare, and its a TDI engine car, which has better residuals than most Petrol equiv...

The Octavia vRS, willl prob cost slightly more than the simialar age/mileage

Leon Cupra... The Seat gets are 28-30mpg, and the vRS gets around 34-38mpg..

Tyres will be the same as the 2003 Cupra has 17inch alloys... I would go for the

Octavia over the Leon as it handles better, bigger boot, more most importantly

more reliable....

But go and drive examples of each.. I would also drive the Fabia vRS as even in standard form will give both the Octavia vRS and the Leon Cupra a run for there

money....

:thumbup:

Dazz -- With a bent vRS OUCH!!!

Cheers all.

I'd always thought of th Tavia as a bit too 'mature' for me :D . Worth a look I guess. I might wait a few months til Fab vRSs start filtering onto the secondhand market. Should be looking at just about sub-

Chris - my mum has a Leon Cupra and i've got the Octy RS so the "old person" aspect can be reversed as well! :D My mums Leon is a Y reg that has only done 16K miles - it has run pretty much without fault and she likes it a lot. I really liked her car until I got my Octy (also Y reg - now 37k miles) - now I get into the Leon and can't believe how tinny it seems in comparison to the Octy. Not sure the reasons why as there are not many rattles etc but it just doesn't feel as solid.

The other thing to watch for is that the earlier Leon Cupras (as my mums) were not built in Spain (and were generally reliable) and there seems to have been a large increase in the number of reported problems on the more modern Cupras since production moved to Spain. If you really like the Leon my advice would be to go for a low mileage early one rather than a late model. ..... but of course my real advice would be to get an Octy RS if you are considering the Leon Cupra (the Fab RS is not really in the same segment as the Leon) :D

Cheers, that's interesting :thumbup: . I'm not sure i can see myself in the Octavia, it's much bigger than what I really need. How do costs compare with the FAb vRS? Obviously it will use a lot more fuel, does it have to be 98 RON?

What about servicing and the costs involved, are they similar or a big discrepancy? Is the 1.8 unit reliabble, and are there any major faults or expensive periodic maintenance (cambelts etc)?

Sorry for all the questions :rolleyes:

Well the leon and octavia are roughly the same size/spec and fuel economy. so that is one answered and to correct an earlier thread the tyres on the fabia are over

The Leon is due to be replaced this year, so you may be able to drive a really good bargain. To be honest, a lot depends on your needs. The Leon is a bigger car if you need the space, but I'd say the Fabia is more practical as a long term prospect.

What is it with everyone i speak to.. about the Octavia??? 'oh its a Passat with a Skoda badge on... """ ITS NOT ITS BASED ON A GOLF/A3/Leon/Toledo/Bora/TT/Beetle..... Platform.... the engine is side ways not longways!!!!!!! The Superb is based on the Passat!!! :rant:

Rant over... phew...

Early Leon's were built in Belgium I think... SeatCupra.net members seem to back up better build from early examples... Octavia vRS 'old man' !! BEHAVE!!!

Looks like a Audi/BMW ... And also gets more positive remarks than any Seat!

Ta

Dazz

Cheers' date=' that's interesting :thumbup: . I'm not sure i can see myself in the Octavia, it's much bigger than what I really need. How do costs compare with the FAb vRS? Obviously it will use a lot more fuel, does it have to be 98 RON?

What about servicing and the costs involved, are they similar or a big discrepancy? Is the 1.8 unit reliabble, and are there any major faults or expensive periodic maintenance (cambelts etc)?

Sorry for all the questions :rolleyes:[/quote']

Hi Chris_W,

Not certain if this thread will help you with the Fabia vRS debate thoughts that your having/have had, but it's worth a look as it details a list of 'known' Fabia vRS problems that BRISKODA users have reported. Read on! ;)

http://briskoda.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6419

All the best,

Chris_W, go for the Cupra - it has the more sporty image. Moreover, we have far too many Fabia Vrs[/size'] owners on Briskoda already. :grumpy:

Someone got out of their stannah stairlift on the wrong side this morning!

Someone got out of their stannah stairlift on the wrong side this morning!
You are going to have to do much better than taking 23 hours and 36 minutes to come back with that sort of riposte, Jeff! Did you have to discuss it with your chums at big school first? :P

well no-one else did, also i could not get on last night as i was busy and only saw the thread at 6 because i had a few minutes to nose about before i left for work. The actual time for me was about 2 minutes :D (I also know about the length os time between this reply as when i finished work i had to return a rental car first due to the lovely weather yesterday morning :mad: :blow_up: )

I have not been in a fabia vRS, but I have been ina couple of Leons. Now I dont mind the cars as they do look nice from the outside, but I do feel the interior is not up to the quality of the VW/Skoda interiors. Thats my personal opinion.

I would seriously consider the Fabia as the 130bhp TDI engine is a fantastic piece of kit and it will be great fun to drive, plus you still save bucket loads at the pumps! - which is essential nowadays [;)]

I have not been in a fabia vRS' date=' but I have been ina couple of Leons. Now I dont mind the cars as they do look nice from the outside, but I do feel the interior is not up to the quality of the VW/Skoda interiors. Thats my personal opinion.

I would seriously consider the Fabia as the 130bhp TDI engine is a fantastic piece of kit and it will be great fun to drive, plus you still save bucket loads at the pumps! - which is essential nowadays [;)]

Tight git! :D

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

Just dropping my opinion in.

I ran the Leon 20vTurbo for two years as a company car - I run cars hard and it was reliable and fast. Pretty juicy too as it's fairly heavy and 180bhp petrol will always be juicy.

I think the Octy is similar but only 5 speed if I remember (not that it makes any difference)

Furby is smaller car of course and running costs are much, much less. As it's mostly just me in the car, I don't need four/five seats and a big boot. I use it to get to and from work. With a little fettling they easily put out around 185bhp and 290lb/ft which makes for a prodigious motorway/dual carriageway car! :rolleyes:

I would say, try them all and decide what you need and want. I think each has it's own character and uses.

Leon and Octavia have replacements coming soon - good deals to be had, but they will lose value after replacements arrive. :(

Leon and Octavia have replacements coming soon - good deals to be had, but they will lose value after replacements arrive. :(

The Octavia vRS is a long way off yet - but time does fly.

The Leon - looks radically different and may just put off quite a few owner/drivers. More like a Altea! And have you seen the new Toledo! No Cupra Leon mentioned yet either IIRC.