Millers Diesel Power Sport 4

P-A

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recon DaveH means Shell V-Power with a shot of Millers PS4..

The Shell V-Power would be the only one I would not use it with. The car really did feel like it was running a bit off with this combination. The Shell Extra on the other hand works excellently with it.

Chris

That's what I was thinking, Chris. Also wondered why they singled out Shell rather than, say, BP, Esso, etc, etc.....

Chris

I run it with Esso, BP and Shell. The main difference I notice is reduced harshness and possibly a small economy improvement.

The two times I have run it with V-Power and the once I have run it with Ultimate, the results have not been as good as with stock diesels. Running Ultimate, the car was smoother than without, but lost a perceptible amount of top end power. With V-Power, there was a subjective sensation that the car was very smooth, but almost to the point that the plot was running as best as I can describe "retarded".

Generally, I find it smooths out the Esso to make it tolerable (Esso is cheapest around here) and makes both BP and Shell standard diesels run as smoothly as the same companies premium diesels at less cost, so purely in NVH terms it is worth the money. I have never dynoed before and after, so no idea if the subjective improved response is real or not.

Chris

Just normal Shell diesel. Millers didn't suggest Shell, I did. My question was along the lines of: cheap supermarket fuel with Millers x1 or x2 or a quality fuel e.g. Shell with x1 Millers.

Just normal Shell diesel. Millers didn't suggest Shell, I did. My question was along the lines of: cheap supermarket fuel with Millers x1 or x2 or a quality fuel e.g. Shell with x1 Millers.

What's the difference between a perceived "quality/branded" fuel or cheap supermarket fuel?

Ill answer this for you;

Nothing. Nowt. Zero. Nought. Nadda. Not a sausage.

Standard grades of diesel fuel are all the same no matter where you buy it. The Shell down by me is also served by the same tanker as the Sainsbury's. The local Texaco is served by tanker with Tesco branding and the BP garage also uses tankers sporting the "Tankshare" logo. It all comes from the same storage units in Milford Haven.

A lot of people will say something along the lines of "I notice the difference between cheap supermarket fuel and that BP stuff, the last tank I had from Tescos was awful". You can fill up from the same place even the same pump for years and you will always get a duff tank every now and again. Having driven several different diesel cars over many hundreds of thousands of miles using every thing from Red to Bio over the last ten years I can be quite confident in saying that it doesn't matter where you buy it from.

I am not saying that the "Performance" fuels such as Total Excellum (SP), Shell Extra/Vpower and even the much vaunted Bp Ultimate don't have additives and don't in some cases run better, but the cost benefit over the usual fuel is crap, everytime. Mostly these additives just increase the Cetane rating, do a google on this and you will see what this means on a technical level and you will understand why an increase is good, but a large increase is pointless. The way the ECu deals with it as well means you won't see much of a difference over one tank, it takes a few for it to really deal with it so people looking for instant payback only every see it in their head!

As mentioned earlier in this thread and about 20 or so before it, cheap diesel + the perscribed dosage of Millers is about the best way to go.

What's the difference between a perceived "quality/branded" fuel or cheap supermarket fuel?

Ill answer this for you;

Nothing. Nowt. Zero. Nought. Nadda. Not a sausage.

Standard grades of diesel fuel are all the same no matter where you buy it.

This is true! Apparently the major players like Shell and BP swap batches - meaning if you buy standard fuel from Shell it is the same as BP. I saw some Shell exec being interviewed on the TV once and he admitted this freely. I don't know if this extends to supermarkets though.

The exception to this are the premium fuels eg V-Power. These are specially made in smaller quantities by Shell and are NOT the same as other premium fuels by other manufacturers. So Shell V-Power is not the same as BP Super Unleaded (or whatever it is called now - I don't use BP).

While the base fuel is usually the same stuff, the additive packs are different. There are perceptible differences in the way various fuels run in the Fabia and in other vehicles I drive and of course differences from batch to batch and between fill ups, petrol particularly goes off in the tanks of not sold promptly.

A good example is the diesel sold by my local Siansburys. I used to consistently get around 30-40 miles per tank less in the Fiesta TDCi when running this compared to all other diesels supplied round here, so I stopped buying it.

I have run diesel from a Tesco forecourt that was noticeably very rough running in terms of perceived noise. The BP and Shell Extra diesels seem to consistently run smoothly in the Fabia and the Shell V-Power and BP Ultimate run even smoother.

With petrols, the Shell V-Power is my fuel of choice for the MR2, this seems to give a power improvement over stock fuel. BP Ultimate and Tesco 99 are also pretty good, the MR2 favouring the Tesco 99, the Omega runs better on the BP Ultimate that any of the others. IT is not huge differences, but those aspects of the way the engine sounds and feels.

Chris

Yes - the base fuel is the same (which is the typical unleaded/diesel) for oil companies but I don't know about the supermarket petrol stations.

I guess they must have a deal with someone?

It's all about quantity and sharing resources.

My first bottle finally came in the post today so I'll go fill up tonight, its gona have to be impressive stuff though to outweigh the faffing about when filling up.... i think....

My first bottle finally came in the post today so I'll go fill up tonight, its gona have to be impressive stuff though to outweigh the faffing about when filling up.... i think....

.. no faffing about at all .... just squeeze and pour!!

.. no faffing about at all .... just squeeze and pour!!

Its a bit extra ontop of normal filling :D Then there's the smell, the bottle smelt quite strong before i even opened it! I don't fancy it stinking my boot out and everything in there...... anywho only time will tell.... i'll report back in a week or so. :thumbup::cool:

Now done over 300 miles since my first fill up with millers and from about 200 miles there was a definite improvement in noise in smoothness :thumbup: The stuff really stinks though and if there's even a little drop left on the outside of the bottle it stinks the car out! :thumbdwn: No noticable difference in performance though.

I'll keep using it until I've finished the bottle and hopefully by then I'll be able to get V-power diesel and see what thats like. :P

I keep mine inside a fairly thick plastic bag that fits the bottle pretty snugly, then put it on the left of the boot, where the oil bottle storage is on the Fabia.

Still smells in the boot, but I quite like the smell :D

I do find it a bit of a pain too, having to stop beforehand at the edge of the forecourt to put my prescribed doses in before filling up!

Smoother, slightly quieter at startup would be my observations, having run it for a few thou now. The biggest benefit I can see is the reduction in soot though :thumbup: - noted by a work friend this evening, who doesn't know I run any type of fuel additive. "I'm sure this was more smokey last time I was in" was the comment. That's my placebo test anyway :D

Steve

• 1 month later...

I keep a small plastic bottle which contains enough for a tank full actually under the filler flap. By excluding all the air in the bottle it fits perfectly.

Can't advise on where to get such a bottle as I have had it years - originally designed as a small oil bottle with a long outlet tube - pull to seal and push in to open.

Something similar must still be available and being under the flap means it is outside the car so no smell - just remember to use the free plastic gloves when you fill up and empty the bottle straight into the tank before filling up..

• 4 weeks later...

I understand that the Skoda handbook says generally that no fuel additives should be used. Does anybody know whether they have given any specific advice about Millers diesel additives, or whether it might affect the warranty?

This thread has gone quiet after a lot of lively discussion earlier this year. People who were interested then will have more experience of using this stuff now. I've now bought a bottle and I intend to use it next time I fill up, but before I do I would be interested in any recent experience and opinions, for or against.

Interesting marketing development; I saw last night that Millers website is proclaiming that Diesel Sport 4 is now available at Halfords and A1 Motor Stores.

I've yet to verify this at my local Halfords - be interesting to know what price as the local motor factors I have been buying from to date charges over rrp @

I'll keep using it until I've finished the bottle and hopefully by then I'll be able to get V-power diesel and see what that's like. :P

What's it like then? V-power + Millers Sport 4 (naturally).