For all you Mountain bikers out there

Jon TDI

dave - not sure on cost - i guess it can be as cheap or as expensive as you make it! im hoping to keep it to a reasonable price..i guess after the frame the only more expensive stuff i need is brakes, wheels and a set of forks. Of course, you could get these off ebay just as easy as buying new so i guess it depends on budget/choices. You are right tho - such a simple pretty no-frills frame...i have had my eye on a genesis fully built bike going on ebay but ive always wanted a dialled bikes frame so decided id rather put my money into that. be a great bike for tootling around in the summer on :D

Jon TDi - yeah that pic was taken just up at gbro when you get onto the moors..great place to ride :thumbup:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's with all the single speed bikes?

The following mainly:

• Bloody hard work if you live in a hilly area
  • When the going gets muddy/rough they're ace because there's no dodgy reear mech hanging off the side of the bike to rip off on rocks/branches etc
  • No chain slap so they're nice and quiet to ride
  • They look loads better as they have much cleaner lines
  • They weigh a lot less than a geared bike so the're is less to push up hills!
  • They make your riding much smoother
  • Allegedly get you fitter, I've been riding single speed for a couple of years now but have yet to see this

Love the look of the love/hate, especially in the olive green.

Didn't realise there were so many brikodians into mounain biking, perhaps we could organise a skoda meet & ride somewhere?

Another great thing about singlespeed, is that should you overtake a geared bike, the rider can't say "it's cause you're on a better bike, got more gears etc etc". It's just you and the pedals :) I'm gonna get one!

Dave.

Bike p0rn, nice :D

My Cannondale M600 with Pace carbon forks and various other carbon bling :D

Used for comuting and less serious stuff.

m600.jpg

My road bike, full compag running gear.

ribble.jpg

And my newest addition to the stable my '07 Stumpy FSR comp. I've only had it out for a couple of runs but thus far I am more than impressed.

spesh.jpg

my GIANT XTC se,i have added some roxshox tora 318 forks, ruffian grips and some double side spd/platform shimano's .pretty darn good for my level of biking,but i hope to get a full susser sometime in the near future.

image from the day i bought it.it looks different and alot dirtier right now.

mtb004.jpg

Can I ask a daft question of you Mountain biker guys. Do these rear discs work? Or are they a bit over powered for a bike in general? I can see the advantage of having them higher up and out of any water and mud (well a bit our of the water and mud) but they must be awfully powerful. I

It's pretty much the same as you described - rear brake is used as a trailing brake most of the time.

Most disc brake systems have a bigger disc on the front as most of the braking is on the front.

If you need to stop quickly, it's easier to control when you lock up the back than the front!

Same in the motorbike world too.

Magura have a hydraulic disc system out at the moment called the Marta SL. That weighs around 390g front or rear.

Disc brakes have the same feel as cantilever rim brakes but are a LOT more powerful.

Magura have a hydraulic disc system out at the moment called the Marta SL. That weighs around 390g front or rear.

Disc brakes have the same feel as cantilever rim brakes but are a LOT more powerful.

So they would be fine on a touring road bike then? I know bugger all about anything but road race bikes I

Edit:

Actually, thinking about it, you would need to find a suitable set of forks to mount the caliper onto......and a compatiable hub/wheel to take the disc.

I borrowed my brother's road bike to 'get back in to it' after I broke my collar bone. All I can say is "rim brakes are cack". However discs may be a tad over kill on a road bike.

Despite what you may think, disc brakes are very controlable, as the are in a car. But you would need disc specific rims and calliper mounts on the frame.

Another bonus is minor buckles don't cause any grief.

Why don't you just get a proper bike with disc brakes as standard?:sofahide: :bike:

rutlandwater017.jpg

This is my Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Can't remember what year, must be an 02 I think) after a trek round Rutland water. SWMBO had been riding it whilst I had a go on a Kona Dawg, and to be honest, I preferred the hard tail, at least for a mainly track/road riding. Just seemed like a lot of extra weight for not a lot of benefit, although I wasn't really using it for what it was designed for! I keep looking at the Stumpjumper FSR, but I hardly ride as it is! Need to get off my ****!

Schern, that looks to be the same spec as my Rockhopper, so it will be a '02 model.

Next on the list of upgrades are:-

Cranks & chain rings,

Front & rear mechs,

Cassette & chain

Considering the amount of bike brands out there, Specialized appear to be quite popular on here!

I bought my '07 Rockhopper Disc a few of months ago, but unfortunately haven't been out on it enough lately.

Bike.jpg

Of course it