Project Q-Felicia

TeflonTom

is it an Alloy sump?That could be a bitch...

:nod:

easy peasy!

anywho... i've had the bores honed and the deck surface ground on the block plus chemical cleaning.... now i have to repaint it because the acid burnt all the paint off...

and no, this thread is not worthless without pics..:o i just dont wanna get it out the boot of the car yet because it raining very hard outside

:nod:

easy peasy!

anywho... i've had the bores honed and the deck surface ground on the block plus chemical cleaning.... now i have to repaint it because the acid burnt all the paint off...

and no, this thread is not worthless without pics..:o i just dont wanna get it out the boot of the car yet because it raining very hard outside

:rofl: try doing this in Scotland!

when its no raining, it will be in 10 mins.

get it out the boot!

this picture shows the fine cross hatch pattern from honing.. this is needed to help the piston rings bed in more quickly. also see that i've had the deck surface ground to make sure it's absolutely flat:)

crosshatch.jpg

Pretty for a 4pot:thumbup:

when i talked about using 4 pot brakes everybody assumed i meant calipers:O plan is to just stick one of these on a piece of chain and lob it out the window and use it as an anchor

what paint you using? I find Halfrauds matt black high temp paint is ace:D

hammerite high temp stuff

when i talked about using 4 pot brakes everybody assumed i meant calipers:O plan is to just stick one of these on a piece of chain and lob it out the window and use it as an anchor

hammerite high temp stuff

seen the 4pot brakes thing done:rofl:

Hammerite do some excellent paints- their mettallic black hammered finish is identical to BMW's Diamond Schwartz- and about 1/16th the price!

takes forever to cure though

haha... my postman must think i've lost the plot again!

had these little beauties waiting for me when i got back this afternoon

valvesprings.jpg

high tension valve springs from Schrick motorsport in germany (cant get these for love nor money in the uk :o)

i've turned my attention to the crankshaft now... it's not looking good at the moment. having the journals re-polished today to find out if they will clean up or not, she's showing the first signs of oil starvation by the looks of it.

more info on this later hopefully

here's what the oil cooler take off plate looks like fitted to the block

filterandcoolerplate.jpg

the plate slides over the existing filter mounting screw, then an extension bit screws onto that which secures the plate in place... the side which faces the block has a rubber seal, put a smear of clean engine oil on there before fitting... then the filter just screws onto the plate like normal

Just read this thread from start to finish! Excellent thread Tom. :thumbup:

Quite enjoying the techie bits too!

Keep the updates coming!

What power do you hope to make when its done? 100bhp and a lovely bit of low down torque? More? What characteristics you aiming for?

:)

were's the oil cooler going???

probably remove the fog lights completely and have a mesh thing and have it mounted up under there somewhere... not 100% sure yet

What power do you hope to make when its done? 100bhp and a lovely bit of low down torque? More? What characteristics you aiming for?

i'm going to try and keep as much low down grunt as possible, but it's a swings and roundabouts thing, you cant get lots of low down grunt and high rpm muscle at the same time... hoping to get maybe 140-bhp at the flywheel.. going to do something a bit special with the gearbox/ratios too

- particularly impressed with the screw on adapter:thumbup:

it's a standard mocal one. uses the same plate as the the mk2 golf/corrado.. only cost

TOm - may be worth you looking at the Leon Cupra R oil cooler - sits nicely behind the "S" badge at the front.

ahh excellent. didn't know they had an oil cooler... i will see how much they cost from the stealers. bering in mind the mocal ones are only about

i think i'm going to have to use the bsp fittings at the engine end of the hoses because there isn't much space around the exhaust manifold to fit adaptors... but i suppose there's no harm in using metric hose fittings on the other ends of the hoses to fit to the radiator

right, here's the crankshaft after being chemically degreased, and the journals re-polished

crankshaft.jpg

the polishing process smooths out any surface irregularities on the bearing surfaces.. using a very very fine grade of wet and dry (probably aroung 800 grit) and plenty of clean engine oil. and a special tool for clamping it around the journal. the crank is rotated in the same direction of normal rotation... this obviuosly polishes away any ingrained crud and leave a nice smooth finish ready for the new bearings. i was a little worried that these might not clean up very well nicely because it was starting to show burnishing marks when the horrible crusty oil was litteraly being baked onto the surface... moral of the story is change your oil frequently!!

now i feel i should say a few words about crankshafts

as you can see from the above photo. this is what is known as a fully counterbalanced crank.. this means that the is a counterweight at each crankpin which counteracts the weight of the other side of the crank.. being fully counterbalanced has the advantage of reducing the bearing loads because it appies even forces (moments) at the main bearing, plus it makes for smoother running/idling. but it has the disadvantage of being heavier with more rotating mass and hence takes longer and more force to spin it up to speed.

crankshaftrear.jpg

although it's quite difficult to see from this picture above.. there is a very narrow parting line arrowed.. having a norrow parting line indicates to me that this is a nodular cast iron crank. without wanting to real off pages on metalurgy, nodular iron is a good material for making crankshafts because it is highly ductile which means it will flex rather than crack under extremes of loading. also it aborbs shock loads and dampens it which leads again to smoother running and doesn't transmit shock throughout the engine. also the graphite content acts as a kind of barrier which reduces corrosion..

the easy way to tell that it is a forged crank rather than a cast one.. is a forged crank will habe a wide parting line where the flash from the forging dies has seeped out and has then been sawn/sanded off