A vRS, the 60k service, and a cambelt...

I feel sure this has been raised before but I'm damned if I can adjust my search criteria accordingly! :D

I've been asked to find this out - if a vRS is taken in for a 60k service (a 53-plater if it matters), would the cambelt be changed unless the garage was instructed otherwise? Or is it still simply an 'advisory/check' type situation at this mileage?

I know about the change to VAG procedure over the 60k/4yr issue, but I just wonder how that works in practice, when a car is taken to a main dealer and one of the above conditions applies.

Thanks,

Steve

Think it went the other way TBH, was 80k and has since dropped to 60k, and they've also included a time restriction too, based on some lower mileage models having belts fail in years 4-6, say.

Steve

I'm sure my Fabia vRs is 80,000 miles, not sure about the years though?

I thought I read in the book that it's actually 100,000 miles but recomended at 80,000?

Unless thats 100,000 Kilometers?

Lummox would be good with this one?

Toothed belt change interval on a Fabia PD is 60K miles if built up to end July 2003. From August '03 onwards, interval is 80K. The layout of the service book doesn't make it clear whether the belt change would be done automatically at the appropriate interval or whether you would have to ask for it to be done.

if it was required at the 60k service the dealers should advise the customer that this is the case and give the customer a suitable price for the job , then the customer can make the decision on whether it is done or not

AFAIK the belt should be changed at 60k , i wouldn't trust it beyond that mileage

the Ford Galaxy with the PD engine used to be 40k but has gone up to 60k recently

did search for the same thing in this forum and found that vRS before June 03 - 60k,

after June 03 - 80k

needed to find out as I am getting furby 2004/04 with 64000 on the clock without cambelt change mentioned in the service book

garage phoned Skoda dealer to clarify as I wanted them to change it, came back to me saying they confirmed it is 80 000 for PD130 engine this furby has

But the vRS wasn't released until Aug/Sept 03 anyway! :confused:

Don't know why VAG can't seem to make one rule and stick to it. Doesn't really make sense for different cars in different parts of the group, with the same engine, to have different 'belt swap mileages.

Steve

Steve

Am pretty sure have read it several times that the time element is four years max - even if the car has only done(say) 20k.

Why it 'sticks' is that we have a 3 yr old ( March) which by next March will probably only have done 28k yet will, by recommendation, require a new cambelt.

Lummox is probably the best guy to answer this ............

• 1 month later...

hmm being confused by this myself as my fabia needs its 60k service done asap. Now dealers are saying different things some say 40k or 4 years which ever comes first. Others are say 75k and a few say 80 or 4 years.

I assumed it would be 60k or 3 years

Nah, it's certainly now standard VAG advice or instruction, depending on how you look at it, that it's changed at 4yrs, regardless of mileage. The mileage advice seems to vary between either 60 or 80k.

Mine's on 68 now, and coming up for 4yrs in October. So I'll go for the middle ground and have mine done at circa 70k and 4yrs :thumbup:

Steve

I really don't understand why people get confused. 60k or 4 years, whatever comes first, its that simple.

If you use that as a rule of thumb, you won't go far wrong.

FWIW my mate/colleague has an Ibiza FR. Its on a 54 plate, but done 95k. They still won't do the cambelt. As its a company car he doesn't really care though.

Well I did get conflicting advice Tom, not on the 4yr issue, but on the 60k or 80k mileage limit on the 'belt (say you reached either of these before the 4yr mark).

That's why I originally started this thread, because mine had done 65k when I bought it, but isn't yet 4yrs old.

Steve

Sorry, dig wasnt at you Steve. I saw your original post to be about whether or not the dealer would do the cambelt at the 60k service, not a question about the cambelt change interval.

Ho hum.

Sorry, dig wasnt at you Steve. I saw your original post to be about whether or not the dealer would do the cambelt at the 60k service, not a question about the cambelt change interval.

Ho hum.

:rofl: no worries, I'm not that sensitive :P

And my response wasn't having a go at your response! :rolleyes: - these text based forums eh, dangerous places ;)

Errr, anyway - I think this just highlights the issue that it's all quite confusing :D

Steve

After speaking to skoda UK this morning its 4 years or 80K miles but they did say the the deal will check it at the 60k service and report on its condition.

I'm going to have mine done at 70K as skoda said after check my car details that one should be done at 74980 miles..............which I've no idea how they got that mileage.

But the answer for SUK is 4 years or 80K which ever comes first.