Changing number plates

The Felicia is due a numberplate change to get it pass the MOT. So I ordered some new plates of the internet. I was going to take the old ones off this morning, and use them as a template as to where to drill the mounting holes in the new plates, but what do I find....

.. the screws that were hidden under the little plastic caps (yellow / black / white) have now rusted badly, as I guess the caps kept the moisture on the head of the screw and I can't easily get the old ones out.

For the rear plate I could double side-tape it on (my Octy has the back one stuck on), but the front, I guess I should definately screw on, as it it attached to the bumper which would not give a very good mating surface for tape? Or is my best bet to drill out the existing screws, and just get something from Halfords to mount the plates?

Had this problem with mine

Just chiselled off the back part of the screw cover with a small screwdiver and hammer, then used a pair of mole grips.

Had this problem with mine

Just chiselled off the back part of the screw cover with a small screwdiver and hammer, then used a pair of mole grips.

That is what I did in the end. I popped down to Halfords for some plastic coloured caps, but they wanted