Help Needed!! - Steering is definitely not right

Zetec-S

Hi all

I know that I have commented about the problem I have with by Octy vRS on other threads before, but now I am in need of some real help.

The problem I have is that the car will just not steer correctly. On most roads where there is a camber to the left I have to steer with about a 35 degree turn to the right. The amount of correction also seems to increase with speed.

So far I have tried the following to correct this;

i) Asked at 40k service for dealer to drive car, they said all was okay, although I think they drove it for a very short time and only up to 30mph. All they could see was slightly worn front anti roll bushes.

ii) I then had the car four wheel aligned by a place that does a lot of work for a respected Skoda dealer. Before this was done the car just didn't feel like it was handling right, from then on in I have had the problem for the car pulling heavily to the left. (At the time I am sure the guy mentioned moving the drivers side front wheel forward, is that possible?)

iii) I then decided that the four wheel alignment must be wrong so went to a independent garage, that advertises on here. I explained my problem, and they again four wheel aligned the car, and all print outs appear okay. However I still feel that I have to hold the wheel more than would normally be necessary to the right in order to conteract the level of pull.

iv) I then had both front wheels rebalanced, and changed from left to right, but this also didn't make any difference.

I know really want to get this fixed, as I don't want to have to sell it. The car has never been in an accident, and for the first 12 months that I owned it was absolutely brilliant. The only other problem I have with it is mooing brakes, which I think I can live with. Also the front tyres don't appear to be wearing uneveningly.

What I'm planning on doing now is going back to the independent garage and getting them to check all the steering and suspension components. What I want to know though is how best to direct them in the right way, so that this problem is finally solved.

At the moment I am starting to think that it could be a problem with a front shock absorber, or possibly something to do with the steering column bushes.

Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry for the rant, just getting desperate now and a little depressed at the moment. I want my car back!!

Thanks in advance.

I think i have cured a similar problem i had trouble with knocking and sloppy steering e.g. tramlining at trafic lights and pulling left a bit.

I fitted a new bush to the steering rack yesterday which seems to have helped.

I'll need a week to fully know as my routes a quite repetetive so i know where problems show up

This may help your problem, the part was only a few quid but i did need a ramp to fit it which my mate let me use for free....which was nice;)

HTH

Sounds like mine. I find that the wheel will tramline all over the place when I come to a stop.

How easy is it to fit a new bush. Not that I am going to do it myself, just that it will give me an idea of how much a garage might charge.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks for the help.

It took me about half an hour and i'm very limited in my skills

It's towards the passenger side and there's a u clamp with a bracket for the PAS fluid system whip the bracket off then the clamp covered bush in copper slip(stops squeeking) refit clamp and bracket

I thought i'd killed something at first but on further investigation it was water dripping not PAS fluid as it had rained just before i got it the garage and then opened the bonnet hennce water dripping down the back of the engine bay

HTH

Cheers for that, sounds pretty simple.

Me being a total non-mechanic will probably still use a garage, but sounds like it shouldn't take them too long if that is what it is.

How did you know that was the route of the problems you were having?

Tbh honest i didnt but bought the bush out of boredom more than anything

Its on the left when you look you will see it. My car trams to the left and if the bush was knackered i can see that causing it to pull left as the bush secures it to the left of the sub frame if you get my drift.

I had been complaining to may mate for a while about rattly steering for ages this seems to tigthen up a bit

Think I'll contact the garage tomorrow and say I want a full check of all the suspension and steering components, but suggest to them it could well be the steering column bush.

At the end of the day the best way to show them what is up is to take them out for a drive in it first, before handing the keys over.

• 1 month later...

Well, I've now had the car checked over by Awesome, and they couldn't find anything wrong with any of the bushes or suspension components. All they did find was that the front shocks were weeping, although they said any change was only advisory rather than necessary.

Could all my problems be being caused by spent shocks at the front? I'm sure I've read somewhere that duff shocks is what causes the steering wheel to move around when you are coming to a halt. (Which mine does do).

Now over 7 months since I first noticed this and I'm no nearer to a fix. Three lots of four wheel alignment as well.

The bush i fitted has softened up now and it's back to it rattly self again :mad:

I think the rack is goosed myself, VRSphil is in the process of getting a TT rack fitted to cure this problem we have had a few dissucusions about this issue

We both have a click now when turning the wheel without the engine running and generally 5hite feeling steering

It looks like new rack time:mad:

Well, I've now had the car checked over by Awesome, and they couldn't find anything wrong with any of the bushes or suspension components. All they did find was that the front shocks were weeping, although they said any change was only advisory rather than necessary.

Could all my problems be being caused by spent shocks at the front? I'm sure I've read somewhere that duff shocks is what causes the steering wheel to move around when you are coming to a halt. (Which mine does do).

Now over 7 months since I first noticed this and I'm no nearer to a fix. Three lots of four wheel alignment as well.

the shocks might only be leaking but they could also be weak , especially noticible when braking due to the dive that occurs

Well, I have the exact same problem... STILL !!!! I've had the front wishbone bushes uprated to powerflex, front and rear newspeed ARBs and a full GEO, and now the steering is worse. Havn't done the steering bushes yet... but does anyone know the cost of a new rack and how easy it is to fit ?

I had an issue with my mk2 pulling left ever so slightly, my local tyre place had a look and found nothing wrong with the tracking etc. What they did was swap the tyres left to right on the front (they could do this as the tread was not directional), and the problem got slightly less but was still there. Only after all the tyres were changed did the problem completely disappear.

Our Mk1 Octy did exactly the same, but had the 4 wheel laser alignment done, and it practically, but not totally, disappeared. I should also tell you that our Superb also has a camber-following tendancy, and needs to be held to the right to conteract, and so does our 2004 Focus 2.0! I wonder if these new-fangled directional tyres have anything to do with it? :)

And yet I've got no issues with either asymmetric tyres (when I got the car) or directionals (replacements). I did have a slight issue with wander under braking on spalled surfaces when the asymettics were due for replacement (3mm tread left).

I've just been experiamenting on the way home

What position do you have the steering wheel usually

Up, down, in or out

I just pushed mine back in about half way and the play i had seems to have disappered i think

i still get the knocking and i suppose the adjustment of the steering colom is some sort of one tube in another if you get me.

So in theory pushing it back in a bit could tighten things up maybe

HTH

I've just been experiamenting on the way home

What position do you have the steering wheel usually

Up, down, in or out

I just pushed mine back in about half way and the play i had seems to have disappered i think

i still get the knocking and i suppose the adjustment of the steering colom is some sort of one tube in another if you get me.

So in theory pushing it back in a bit could tighten things up maybe

HTH

not on a Skoda , but a similar thing occurs on the Mazda 6 , there is a sliding spline coupling at the bottom of the column and this knocks , dismantle the joint and apply the special Mazda grease , jobs a good'en

Makes no difference in mine ajusting the steering.

Out of interests how much were the steering bushes... and do you have part numbers ?

Cheers