Next Years vRS....1.4 Twin Charged 7 speed DSG?

Got a call from a Dealership, i asked for info on the Octy vRS. In chatting he told me that there was a rummor that:-

Two Models:- Diesel with 140 BHP oe Petrol with 170 BHP....................Petrol version might be coming with a 7 speed DSG!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Mike

Confused me anyway - the post is in the Fabia 2007 section, it is about an Octy, and as Chris says, didn't think that would have the DSG.

Wouldn't make sense to have DSG in the Fabia as it would compete far too much with the other VAG brands I would have said, but then anything is possible :D

VW as a whole is to push all its range towards small forced induction with dsg boxes for emission reasons as they chase a 130 carbon avg. it will find its way into skodas also. the larger 20fsi octys will be replaced by 1.4/1.6 tfsi lumps at 120/140/160 hp outputs over the next few years.

is ironic really that the mk1 was the first to find that a 1.8T could deliver the power of a 2.5v6 with the thirst of a 2.0/1.8 ...... the whole market is going that way... the psa/bmw 1.6 turbo (cooper s / 207 THP ) will appear in 1 / 2 /3 ser and 308 /407 / c4 /c5 in similar 120/140/160 hp versions all with emmission in the 1.6/1.8 class in place of high emmission 1.8/2.0/2.2 petrols.

it is currently the 1st supermini to have a 6speed auto box... so may happen! 7 speeds tho jeese! what other cars have a 7 speed box at the mo:S

The 1.4 supercharged+turbocharged petrol is the the sam block that the Golf uses.

The 1.4TSI, it is 170BHP, AND IT FLYS!!!!!!!! I have had a little play in 1, only marginally slower than the 2.0T in the golf. Should make a little furby take off!

But I am a diesel head so I would probably opt for the oil burner. I love the torque!!!!!

Wouldn't make sense to have DSG in the Fabia as it would compete far too much with the other VAG brands I would have said, but then anything is possible :D

I don't know if it would though - maybe with Seat but not with VW and Audi. You'll always have badge snobs who will pay the extra for VW/Audi and those that are happy to buy Skoda would have done anyway.

I also don't think there would be a risk matching the power of the Fabia vRS to that of the Octavia vRS - some people want larger cars, some want smaller. If Skoda offered the choice of having both cars with the same powerplants then surely it's a win-win situation?

I just hope they come up with a good overall package that keeps everyone interested in the brand without stretching the purse strings too much!

I don't know if it would though - maybe with Seat but not with VW and Audi. You'll always have badge snobs who will pay the extra for VW/Audi and those that are happy to buy Skoda would have done anyway.

I also don't think there would be a risk matching the power of the Fabia vRS to that of the Octavia vRS - some people want larger cars, some want smaller. If Skoda offered the choice of having both cars with the same powerplants then surely it's a win-win situation?

I just hope they come up with a good overall package that keeps everyone interested in the brand without stretching the purse strings too much!

I have to say I agree, I don't want an Octavia size car at the moment, (will in future), It's silly to have the 'flagship' model anyway. I won't be buying a new Fabia vRs with a 140 TDi in it thats for sure, I'll probably change brands, so they would loose out on a sale, especially when there are cars like the new corsa, which is quite nippy.

I would go to

The 2.0 FSi in the Octy is not on production anymore. It's been already replaced by the brand new Audi 1.8 TFSI 160 Bhp engine.

VW as a whole is to push all its range towards small forced induction with dsg boxes for emission reasons as they chase a 130 carbon avg. it will find its way into skodas also. the larger 20fsi octys will be replaced by 1.4/1.6 tfsi lumps at 120/140/160 hp outputs over the next few years.

is ironic really that the mk1 was the first to find that a 1.8T could deliver the power of a 2.5v6 with the thirst of a 2.0/1.8 ...... the whole market is going that way... the psa/bmw 1.6 turbo (cooper s / 207 THP ) will appear in 1 / 2 /3 ser and 308 /407 / c4 /c5 in similar 120/140/160 hp versions all with emmission in the 1.6/1.8 class in place of high emmission 1.8/2.0/2.2 petrols.

The Market is flooded with smal fast cars, Skoda will need an egde over others....7 speed DSG might be it.

Mike

Perhaps in your DSG tainted spectacles Mike.

Would make me not buy it.

I think Autocar quoted a maximum Torque figure for the 7 speed DSG as being considerably less than the Torque figure produced by the 140TDi even!

A friend of mine has a 7 speed auto Merc and it’s been back twice to have the G/box fixed! Don’t Lexus do a 7 speed auto too?

Before believing any of these rumours about what the new VRS will contain , you have to remember that this is the baby of the Skoda range and as such it won't be faster than the Octavia VRS in either petrol or diesel form , so the 2.0t and PD170 won't be in there.

All the MB 6-cylinder and bigger engines have the 7-speed box (except the supercharged 55 and 65 AMG as the 7-speeders can't handle the torque, so thay make do with uprated 5-speeders with the bigger friction plates).

SLK 55 uses 7 sp as do all all the newer 63 AMG cars even the "black" editions.

the odd thing ref the torque is the 420CDI v8 diesels use the 7speeder......