Cruise Control

eventually had my car in yesterday and the fault that had shown on the computer is now cleared but if it happens again i am to bring it back so a new stalk can be ordered.

Mick.

Speaking to Mcgyver last night, his started working again after a trip to the dealers but a few days later stopped again.....so I think its a matter of when not if :(

24 bloody hrs later:eek: :eek:

replacement stalk/switch has been ordered!

had mine replaced at 13,000 miles. vag-com showed fault 00895- cruise control defective- intermittent. believe its a known fault with oct 2.

had mine replaced at 13,000 miles. vag-com showed fault 00895- cruise control defective- intermittent. believe its a known fault with oct 2.

Yep it's a known fault on all A5 platform cars. There was a dodgy batch out there.

That's one reason why I don't use CC to hold 50mph through average speed camera roadworks - if the car holds 50 going up the hill, but speeds up going down the hill, the overall average speed could easily creep up over the limit...

Don't panic mate! The odd 2-3 mph is not enough to raise your average speed sufficiently to get a ticket. You normally have to average at least 15 MPH over the whole distance before you would get a ticket.

.....according to my friend in the know.....

Don't panic mate! The odd 2-3 mph is not enough to raise your average speed sufficiently to get a ticket. You normally have to average at least 15 MPH over the whole distance before you would get a ticket.

.....according to my friend in the know.....

Static "Safety Cameras" (and the handheld Police "hairdryers") guidance is that you are allowed 10%+2mph before prosecution (fine/points) is allowed.

So 30mph=35mph, 50mph=57mph etc

This to cover speedo error and slight drift off fixed speed limit.

So if in a 2 mile averaging zone you went an indicated 50mph on the motorway for 1 and a half miles and then for half a mile you could (in theory?) go to an indicated 78mph to get your average up to 57mph.

This would be the same as just averaging (an indicated) 57mph all the way.

Please don't send any fines or points to me for this wonderfully mathematical (but not necessarily legally tested) driving method.

Static "Safety Cameras" (and the handheld Police "hairdryers") guidance is that you are allowed 10%+2mph before prosecution (fine/points) is allowed.

So 30mph=35mph, 50mph=57mph etc

dont try that one out in North Wales, a mates mum got done for 32mph by one of Brunstroms talivans

You normally have to average at least 15 MPH over the whole distance before you would get a ticket.
Ah - I hadn't realised they still had that level of margin in them, I thought being digital they could and would be set much closer to the limit.

Either that or change lanes half way through. It was in the newspapers that the cameras could only clock your speed if you entered and left in the same lane.

dont try that one out in North Wales, a mates mum got done for 32mph by one of Brunstroms talivans

Totally agree, I got a warning letter from North Wales Police for doing 31MPH in a 30MPH Zone in Wrexham after being zapped by a Drive Alive van :confused:.

I tried my CC for the 1st time recently on the M73. I only kept it on for a short while as I noticed my average m.p.g. getting steadily worse! Is this normal? If so, I don't think I'll bother with it again...

• 2 weeks later...
I tried my CC for the 1st time recently on the M73. I only kept it on for a short while as I noticed my average m.p.g. getting steadily worse! Is this normal? If so, I don't think I'll bother with it again...

I was just about to ask that!

I notice last night I was getting 55mpg on a steady 75mph on a flat (or possibly a slight descent) switch to CC and it dropped to 40mpg and dipped lower.

CC not so good for economy then?

Guest wilkopilko
I was just about to ask that!

I notice last night I was getting 55mpg on a steady 75mph on a flat (or possibly a slight descent) switch to CC and it dropped to 40mpg and dipped lower.

CC not so good for economy then?

I don't know what the hell would cause that unless you noticed the 55mpg just at the point of your foot releasing without you noticing, but it is difficult to calculate unless you have a good 10 mile level stretch of m/way!

I use CC quite frequently on long motorway stretches (when clear), CC is much more economical over long distances (without braking) than a manual input - Unless of course you are extremely good at feathering the throttle!

When ascending any gradient CC will only provide just enough power to maintain the desired speed set, to do this with your right foot takes a lot of careful input remembering that if you drop the speed by a couple of mph then you will use more fuel to get back up to the speed again, whereas CC will hold it accurately although some would disagree.

Just my opinion,

Wilko

A mind numbingly boring link here: Cruise control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I use CC quite frequently on long motorway stretches (when clear), CC is much more economical over long distances (without braking) than a manual input - Unless of course you are extremely good at feathering the throttle!

When ascending any gradient CC will only provide just enough power to maintain the desired speed set, to do this with your right foot takes a lot of careful input remembering that if you drop the speed by a couple of mph then you will use more fuel to get back up to the speed again, whereas CC will hold it accurately although some would disagree.

I also find CC more economical because if I try sticking to 75 without CC, I end up doing 80+ after a while.

I think the biggest "problem" with CC is they way other cars get under your feet going up hill and then a bit later they're pushing you to go faster down hill. To non-CC drivers it looks like you speed up on inclines and slowdown going downbank when really it is them whose speed is changing (obviously!).

Lowflyer

yes I find that using CC is a skill in itself due to the fact that you will be keeping a constant speed while many others speed varies according to gradient, on a longish journey there always seems to be one car that overtakes you and then you are creeping up behind its bumper, and this goes on time and again. You have to get in the habit of flicking the CC off and then back on rather than using the brake.

Really not sure how CC can increase consumption, logically it should improve it slightly, as it is so much more subtle keeping an even speed than you can be with the pedal.

Incidentally is the throttle pedal on the Octavia electronic, have cables been replaced? My wife has a Fabia and that is very sensitive to the throttle because there is no cable drag, but the Octavia doesnt seem so sensitive.

dave

Lowflyer

there always seems to be one car that overtakes you and then you are creeping up behind its bumper, and this goes on time and again. You have to get in the habit of flicking the CC off and then back on rather than using the brake.

Aye, that's a pet hate of mine and my mates. We've both got our first cars with cc (Mazda 6 for him) and it just proves what we though that some people just cannot drive at a steady speed. The buggers are always overtaking then slowing down or more normally suddenly find the throttle when you overtake.

I'm going to try to do a commute with the cc on and off to compare but unless I get a clean run to work it'll probably not be that accurate.

Guest wilkopilko

It's funny reading those - Isn't it nice when you have had CC on for a good 30 minutes or so, overtaking at a reasonable speed (I always find 80 is quite a comfortable setting & you can make good progress) then nice & gentle back into your lane & then there he is - the guy who just doesn't want to be passed. He has no idea that you are set to CC all he sees is another car thats going to overtake at a steady 4 or 5 mph more so he gives it a little more - the thing is now you are committed, you really don't want to flick the switch off & use your right foot, so what do you do?

a. increase the CC speed using the stork

b. Flick the switch cancelling CC to drop speed, then back on again as you pull in behind him, knowing full well that you'll catch him again a few miles on.

c. Sit in the fast lane cheesing everyone off & hope that he'll slow down & let you pass

These are troubled times we live in............:really:

Brack' - The Octavia does have an electronic throttle

For me it is a quick burst of gas and I'm past without the other driver realising so they don't do the "speed matching thing" in the first place. You pull back in and slowly pull away from the other driver. This doesn't turn the CC off so you drift back down to the set speed.

The ones that annoy me is on a dual carriageway when you have numpty in lane one doing 40 and the one in lane two doing 45 - I have tried holding the down button on the CC but sometimes have to concede defeat and brake.

Lowflyer

there always seems to be one car that overtakes you and then you are creeping up behind its bumper, and this goes on time and again.

Yes I have had this happen many times. After the 3rd time you overtake them they're probably starting to think you're deliberately trying to annoy them.

What puzzles me is how you get into this situation in the first place because either you caught them up as your CC speed is faster then their average or they caught you because they were going faster. Once locked together it seems to take forever to break apart if the traffic's light. I've sometimes given it a burst to 85-90 just to shake them off.